The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2000, 03:33 PM   #1
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I'm about to buy a Dillon press and have decided on the 1050 as it swages out crimps from military cases. Does anyone have any experience with this progressive? Any comments are appreciated and thanks in advance. Best.
Old March 19, 2000, 06:59 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Any Dillon 1050 Users?

I wish!
Old March 19, 2000, 11:10 PM   #3
Svt

We're all too poor!
Old March 19, 2000, 11:46 PM   #4
alan

You migtht be just as well off with a 550 and a primer pocket swaging tool or a Lyman reamer. The money difference will buy a lot of components, and or scotch, whichever you prefer. I've heard some folks chirp about the 1000 series Dillons. I have no personal experience with them. I've been using a 550 for about 20 years. Works well.
Old March 20, 2000, 01:28 AM   #5
Gordon Hanson

I've been trying for a week to justify buying a 650, rather than the 550. I now see I've been going about it all wrong: I should have been thinking about how much cheaper the 650 is than the 1050. I can't wait to tell my wife the good news!
Old March 21, 2000, 10:34 PM   #6
Kenneth L. Walters

I had and used a Dillon RL1000. That was the 1050's slightly bigger brother. I wouldn't recommend either of them for a couple of reasons. First, the 1050 only carries a couple year warrenty as it is expected to be used by commercial ammunition producers. All the rest of the Dillon line have lifetime guarentees to the original owner. Second, these bigger machines are just more complicated. More things to go wrong. Third, you really don't need this kind of machine unless you are trying to make ammunition for a living. I'd recommend you look at the Dillon RL550. That's a nice, user friendly machine.
Old March 21, 2000, 11:06 PM   #7
BILLG

Stephen I would go with the Dillon 650 get the case feeder,powder check and several extra primer tubes.If you are going to load a lot of ammo with crimped primer pockets Dillon makes a tool to swage the primer pockets.Good Luck with whatever you choose.BILLG
Old March 22, 2000, 02:25 PM   #8
Trigger Jerk

I have both the 1050 and the 550. Email me and if you want I'll give you my phone number if you would rather talk about it.
Old March 23, 2000, 11:24 PM   #9
Wayne Dobbs

Steve,

Unless you are going to load commercially you don't need the 1050. If you want to produce a PILE of ammo, the 650 will do it. I even bet the 550 would do it and you can sink the difference saved into components or maybe...a new GUN. If you are dealing with the military crimp problem, you can swage them yourself or trade them to a brass salvager for brass that's already processed. If you are the same Stephen Camp that's at the DPD, e mail me and I'll put you onto somebody who can help you out with the military brass problem.

Wayne Dobbs
Richardson, TX PD
Old March 24, 2000, 05:30 PM   #10
Matt K

I have a 650 will the case feeder, roller handle, and all the other gizmos to make it a wanna be 1050. While it is very nice, the 1050 is waaay better. Several people I know actually 2 or 3 1050s, one for each caliber.

matt

------------------
Custom Glock Racing- Because Stock is Slow!
custom-glock.com
Old March 25, 2000, 01:52 AM   #11
pingun.45

Greetings, Stephen. I would like to thank you for your always informative posts, and hope to return the favor. I started out with a Square Deal, worked great, even I could figure it out. Then I needed more ammo in less time, bought a 650, casefeed, etc. the works. It is great, but the weak part of the press is the priming system. I know four guys that know their stuff, and all of them crushed primers and had the flashback around the circle, sending the whole tube full up into the ceiling, taking out the light. Scary. I had several crush on me, not going fast or anything, but thank god they didnt ignite. I got a deal on a buddies spare 1050, and sold my 650 package for the same price. ;o) I love the 1050, and wish I would have bought one ten years ago. Observations: figure out in the manual the parts you need to load the calibers you need, dont buy the conversion kits, extra money for not much. Spare toolheads cost too much also. It will take awhile to get comfortable running the rig, but once you do it will be heaven. I work nights, and am busy with work, family, life, etc. and my time is a premium. This press works for me because I can load a bunch of great ammo in no time at all. There was a guy on the USPSA site that was selling three used 1050s, dont know if they are still available. I have been told the reason that Dillon doesnt offer their super warranty on the 1050 is that ammmo companies, (CORBON, BlackHills, etc.) use the presses and Dillon would go broke giving out spare parts for wear, breakage, etc. Understandable. But honestly, for all the good stuff I have been given on the other presses I had, I dont have a problem buying stuff from Dillon. My .02$ I would, will buy another someday. Good luck and enjoy. DC

------------------
Front sight good, Front sight good....
Old March 25, 2000, 07:09 AM   #12
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello all. Sincerest thanks to all who responded and I really, really thank you all for your time. I appreciate your views and opinions on this. Thank you all again. Best.
Old March 26, 2000, 12:35 AM   #13
killer45auto

I have the 1050 and must say it is the best press i have ever seen .the ease of use and the accuracy of the loaded rounds is phenomenol.Ihave had mine for 4 years and have only had 1 problem.I did not catch a .40 stuck in a .45 case and bent my decap pin. I called dillon and they sent one out at no charge.I have a friend who has been using his for commercial loading and has had no problems with it at all and he has put several 100,000 rounds through it.I thought about it the 550 or the 650 but was told to go with the 1050.That was the best advice i got ,I cannot say enough about the 1050 it is unstopable in a little over a 100,000 rounds for me in 45 acp.I am fixing to buy a 550 next so i will not have to change out dies on the 1050,that is the only downside of this press is that it is a little harder to change from one cal. to the next, and it does not load the the major rifle rounds.

killer45auto