The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 14, 2014, 09:07 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Most Mexican food dishes can be made with any game meat. Although it's probably not commonly appreciated, the basis of traditional Mexican food is that it works with pretty much any ground or shredded meat. The spices provide a fairly uniform taste experience regardless of the protein source.
Old February 16, 2014, 07:36 AM   #27
1goodshot

You can use game meat to make anything you use beef or pork to make, the fat content will be much lower so you may need to add some pork or beef fat.
Old February 18, 2014, 07:57 AM   #28
BoogieMan

Likely any processed/cured meats that are made started with game animals and then moved to farmed animals. You may need to mix a lot of farmed meats in to the recipe to get the flavors that your used to. We make italian style sausage every year and its 2/3 pork, 1/3 venison. Some friends of the family used to make a fantastic venison salami, we would hang in the garage for about 2 months to dry.
Something to consider if it hasnt been mentioned. You can get some pretty serious food born sickness if your not following known or published resipe's. Like mushroom hunting you need to work with people who know.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 18, 2014, 07:19 PM   #29
Tuzo

"fantastic venison salami"

Volunteered with Pennsylvania Mennonites in NJ after hurricane Sandy. Great group of people. One generous gentleman offered venison salami which I accepted. After I had a few bites and stopped drooling I seriously considered not sharing the remainder with my brother. But I'm a good Boy Scout and did share.

Great lunch while working a project near my home in Louisiana. My crew sent me off to fetch Cokes and French bread. Lead equipment operator broke out a crawfish pot and propane burner. Vacuum truck driver hauled the venison chunks and homemade roux. In about one hour we feasted on the best Cajun venison stew I have ever tasted. Did I mention it was a beautiful spring day in a Point Coupee Parish field? Bonus.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:09 AM   #30
old roper

Deer/Elk like the steaks and roast, rest for hamburger/breakfast sausage add pork and spices. If older bull he be made in hamburger/sausage/salami/jerky.

Wife's grandmother use to like neck meat for mincemeat pies for Xmas holidays.
NRA Life Member
Old February 20, 2014, 11:28 AM   #31
Unlicensed Dremel

I've been a "Natural Harvestarian" for almost a year now... I eat no meat except that which I have hunted or fished myself (or a friend has). It takes a gradual transition, but it's easy once you've done it (even if there's no deer or fish in the fridge).... I eat a lot of bean and cheese based tacos when the deer runs out. There are lots of reasons to do this.
Old February 20, 2014, 12:55 PM   #32
BoogieMan

Quote:
I've been a "Natural Harvestarian" for almost a year now... I eat no meat except that which I have hunted or fished myself (or a friend has). It takes a gradual transition, but it's easy once you've done it (even if there's no deer or fish in the fridge).... I eat a lot of bean and cheese based tacos when the deer runs out. There are lots of reasons to do this.
I want to do this, however I have not had enough success to carry me over (or even close) so far. It looks like we will be raising a few chicken and buying a organic whole pig this year. Might make the difference in carrying us through the year.
A friend of mine never bought meat from the time his children were born. He decided to give them all a treat for New Years Eve and bought some very nice fillet mignon. The kids wouldnt eat it after the first taste.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown