The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Ryan v

Black powder shotshells

I'm new to the forum here and I've got some questions about loading shotshells for older side by sides. So here is what I got I've got a late 1880's Lefever side by side 12 ga with Damascus barrels. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I will need to load shells and any helpful advice you guys have to give.
Old August 20, 2013, 07:59 AM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
12 ga with Damascus barrels. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I will need to load shells and any helpful advice you guys have to give.
Conventional wisdom has it that despite that fact that Damascus steel guns were safe with low-power, black powder loads when they (the guns), were new, the forge-weld joints may have been corroding inside where it cannot be seen, for years. If you shoot such, you are paying your dollar and taking your chances. In short, "risky."

In case you want to know...or don't, "Damascus steel", is not a solid piece, but is constructed of several strips of steel woven together like braiding hair and then forge-welded by heating, hammering to produce a tube (barrel) that has a decorative design. Many, many joints, many, many places for corrosion to start and weaken the barrel.

With the price of shotguns at Walmart what they are, there is little justification in shooting what should be, a wall-hanger.
Old August 20, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you're intent on using it, and you want to avoid most of the potential risk, you can always have the barrels tested by a lab that can examine the welds and determine if any are at the critical failure point.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 20, 2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Ryan v

I wouldn't even know where to go to have one checked or probly be able to afford it. Is there any way of making sure they are damascus barrels?
Old August 20, 2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

If it's late 1880s it's almost certainly damascus.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Ryan v

From what I found looking up serial numbers and production dates it was probably made between 1892 and 1893. That wouldn't make mush of a difference would it?