The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2013, 11:35 PM   #1
bspillman

1947 Ithaca Model 37 16 gauge problem

I bought a used 16 gauge that was manufactured in 1947. I shot some rounds through it today and everything functioned fine except for when i was trying to eject the spent round fron the chamber. the round got stuck and took alot of force to get it out. It happen 2 times in 8 shots. I was shootinf RIO game loads. Can i chalk this up to cheap ammo or has anyone else had this issue. any help would be appreciated.
Old July 6, 2013, 12:10 AM   #2
eddyb74

I may be remembering wrong but didn't older 16 ga shotguns take shorter shells? check the barrel and make sure it says 2 3/4".
Old July 6, 2013, 01:58 AM   #3
bspillman

yes it does say 2 3/4 and that's what I was shooting. But if it was that the shells were too long wouldnt happen every round fired?

Last edited by bspillman; July 6, 2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old July 6, 2013, 03:13 AM   #4
Dreaming100Straight

You may be right to suspect the Rio ammo to be the culprit, but the problem may lay completely or partially with your gun. What condition is its chamber? Is it clean or is it pitted or rusty. I would wait to hear some 37 owners opinions, but you may want to polish the chamber a bit with some 0000 steel wool wrapped around a wood dowel and chucked in a power drill. Just a bit and don't overdo it.
Old July 6, 2013, 04:25 AM   #5
Old Stony

My first suspicion would be the ammo. I have seen problems with Rio ammo in other calibers, just haven't had any experience with it in 16 ga.
I think I would try different ammo before I would do anything with the weapon. When chambering the round, you have a little "run" at the chamber, but coming out you don't have that long slide of the bolt to jerk it out. It could be a rough spot in the chamber near the rear, but look for the easiest fix first, which would be ammo.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:35 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

Cheap shells, and stay away from the wallyworld Winchesters, they are known for sticking in any chamber.

The Ithaca Model 37 was never made with a short chamber ---- that was the other brand that makes shell for wallyworld.
Old July 6, 2013, 07:50 AM   #7
drcook

You bought yourself a good gun. However you might need to clean it. NOT saying that was the issue with the shells, but old Ithacas tend to accumulate crud just like anything that old and as a precision instrument, yes Ithacas are a precision mechanical device tend to work better when clean and properly lubricated.

It is easy to work on an Ithaca if you have a decent set of gun specific screwdrivers so you don't bugger the heads up.

Here is the field maintenance guide

http://stevespages.com/pdf/ithaca_3787.pdf

If you take the buttstock off (remove plate, use a 3/8 socket on an extension (iirc it is 7/16's) to remove the stock bolt, it is a square head bolt with a slot that is hard to remove with a screwdriver) and the spray the action out with some brake cleaner.

The back of an Ithaca action is open, that that is why you take the buttstock off, to not soak it anymore than it already is. They get oil soaked it stored standing up and oiled heavily.

Spray it into all the nooks and crannies. After it dries re-lube the gun.

If you are comfortable working on guns, use the field maintenance guide above as a reference, actually save it / print it off for future use, you never know when online resources will disappear. Take it apart and give it a good cleaning, soak the trigger pack in kerosone, lighter fluid etc.

On the old guns there is a minimum of one spring that needs replaced. The one behind the left hand shell stop. It is very expensive, actually only a couple dollars.

Another overlooked area of the old Ithacas is the magazine tube. Take the mag spring and follower out and clean the inside of the magazine tube with 0000 quad-zero steel wool. once it is clean oil it inside and the spring and put back together. I use a wood dowel with a slit in the end and spin it slowly with a drill. I have cleaned a couple that were junked up and a littly rusty inside

You have bought yourself a fine shotgun that with a little work on your part will be a grand gun.

How is the overall condition ? 16ga Ithacas are my favorite.
Old July 6, 2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Years ago I bought some cheap Polish made shells for my Dad's 37 12 gauge.

Same exact problem you're having. I attributed it to soft case heads overexpanding.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Cheap shells, and stay away from the wallyworld Winchesters, they are known for sticking in any chamber.
I've shot a lot of them in a lot of different guns. I never had one stick.
Old July 6, 2013, 12:19 PM   #10
shortwave

If you have not cleaned it...you should. But my guess would be the ammo too.

FWIW, Like Hawg, I've shot a lot of Winchester ammo out of all my shotguns(including the 37's) , and have not experienced any problems.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've run both Winchester and Federal 12 gauge valupak shells from Walmart through:

Ithaca Model 37

Smith & Wesson 3000

Remington 58

Additionally, I have a Stevens side by side 20 gauge through which I've shot a couple hundred Winchester valupak rounds.

In no cases have I had those shells stick in the chambers..

I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has also been running the same through his 870 (12 gauge) and his CZ SxS 20 gauge without issues.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 13, 2013, 12:57 PM   #12
bspillman

Well I found some remingtons and tried those. Same problem. I have removed the barrel and felt around the chamber for a burr bit found nothing. It is however rough in there should I have it polished.
Old July 13, 2013, 05:31 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Do the RIO game loads have those ridiculously long ??brass?? heads like their target ammo does? If so, I would suspect that the heads are more likely steel and sticking a bit. As mentioned, try some real brass head ammo and see if it still does it
Old July 13, 2013, 06:46 PM   #14
bspillman

I did I tried remington game loads today. Still sticks but usually just the first shot.
Old July 13, 2013, 07:32 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

Try some QUALITY ammo that has BRASS heads - Winchester AA, Remington STS, Federal Gold Medal and see if it still does it