The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 2, 2012, 06:09 AM   #1
rebs

gun cleaning table ?

I have a wooden table that I use for cleaning my guns on and have been thinking about carpeting it to protect my guns when cleaning them. Currently I just lay an old bath towel on it to set the gun and parts on. Would it be a good idea to carpet it or not ? I am also thinking about any Hoppe's #9 or other chemicals that will get on the carpet, will these chemicals evaporate or stay in the carpet ?
Old June 2, 2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Bailey Boat

My "cleaning table" is carpeted and I don't have any issues with #9 or Breakfree (my 2 main cleaning solvents) but I spray them over a trash can, not the carpet.
Old June 2, 2012, 07:22 AM   #3
dab102999

I use an old baby quilt that i got from a thrift stire. Bout the same size as my table and then i just wash it with my work jeans.
Old June 2, 2012, 07:30 AM   #4
rebs

I have extra of the 24" x 24" self sticking carpet squares and am thinking about sticking them right to the table. They are real short nap and would be no problem with loosing parts. I was just concerned about getting cleaning chemicals on it and then when I clean aanother gun the chemicals would get on the stock etc. ?
Old June 2, 2012, 07:43 AM   #5
darrentxs

If I had a table just for cleaning guns like you, I'd go ahead with the carpet for padding and use a vinyl table cloth also on top of it.

That would be well padded, easily wiped down, and keep carpet fibers off your guns.
Old June 2, 2012, 07:50 AM   #6
wingman

Lowes has a roll up rubber mat about 5ftx2ft that works perfect, soft and easy to wipe off, I've used one about two year still good have a spare on hand
not expensive less then $10. For me carpet becomes too dirty.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:53 AM   #7
10 Spot Terminator

I put some of the indoor/outdoor carpet that resembles compressed wool on my cleaning bench and anchored it at the corners with 1 inch wide velcro strips . Periodically I remove it, take it down to the old self serve carwash when the truck is dirty and power wash it, shake the excess water off, hang it on the clothes line til dry and start over.
Old June 2, 2012, 04:43 PM   #8
g.willikers

Cardboard.
It soaks up solvents and oils well.
Anything laying on top is easily cleaned off with a paper towel.
All is easily disposed of with nothing to clean up later.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:09 PM   #9
jepp2

I have been really happy with my Tipton gun cleaning mat. And you can wash it when it gets grimy.
Old June 3, 2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Hardcase

I have one of those Tipton mats, too. I like it, but the real endorsement comes from my wife, since I clean the guns on the kitchen table.
Old June 3, 2012, 01:23 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Cotton rags over cardboard, on a glass-top computer desk I picked up for $5.

I can toss the cardboard when I'm done, without giving the wife a headache. (Not just complaints - actual headaches from the Hoppe's #9.)

The rags get saved. I bag them, and store them with my gun-cleaning supplies. When they're sufficiently dirty, they get turned into cleaning rags, and new ones take their place on the cardboard.
Old June 3, 2012, 01:23 AM   #12
Stukaman

I bought a good quality shipping blanket folded it up and use it along with I e d those general use gun cleaning rubber mats works just dandy.
Old June 3, 2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Ralgha

I have one of those Tipton mats too, works well. I'd prefer to trade a little of its length for some more width since I only have handguns, but it's not a big deal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.
Old June 3, 2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Superhouse 15

you can buy "puppy pads" designed for house training dogs. Padded absorbent (like a diaper) on one side and plastic on the other. It soaks up everything I've used with no damage. When you're done you roll it up and toss it.
Old June 3, 2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Rembrandt

Available from most home improvement stores....door mats with carpet on one side, rubber on the back.
Old June 3, 2012, 12:00 PM   #16
a7mmnut

MTM, Winchester, Hy-Skor, and a few others make really nice maintenance centers to care for your collection. I have a one piece box with stands from Action Manufacturing that has been priceless. I guess you can always clamp on a water bottle to your muzzle like Mr. Potterfield?
Old June 3, 2012, 11:25 PM   #17
BarryLee

Personally I would avoid using carpet since it can retain many of the contaminates associated with gun cleaning. I guess I am thinking about solvents, lubes, powder residue and even lead. I clean my guns over newspaper and simply toss it when done. I have an endless supply since they deliver fresh each day and I get to start with a clean workspace.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 4, 2012, 05:17 AM   #18
rebs

Thank you for all the replies, I am going to take a look at the 2' x 5' mat from Lowe's, I like the idea of it being 2' wide. I'll also take a look at the Tipton mat.