The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 21, 2007, 04:08 PM   #1
CoRoMo

Late Night Visitor

One of my employees told me this story of a recent "guest"...

Quote:
Me and the old lady were asleep Saturday night when we wake up because someone is ringing our door bell. It was 3:00 am.
I take the Kimber to the door and ask "Whose there".
It's some kid (20's) that has been beaten bloody and he wants to use our phone to call a friend. The kid says he got jumped by several guys.
I offer to call the police, but he says, "No man, don't call the cops, know whatum sayin". So I bring the cordless phone to the porch and tell him to make his call and stay outside on the porch.
He makes his call and walks right in through the front door to give the phone back. I tell him, "STAY OUTSIDE ON THE PORCH". He rambles something or other and I tell him that we should call the police, but he says, "Cops cain't handle dis, know whatum sayin. Don't call the cops man", and goes back outside to the porch.
I tell him to stay outside and that he can wait for his ride on my porch. Right as my wife gets a hold of the phone, she calls the police and tells them what's been going on.
The kid is outside for about a minute, then he walks right in through the front door again. I tell him, "BUDDY, YOU'VE GOT TO STAY OUTSIDE ON THE PORCH"! He's asking to use the phone again and I tell him that we're on the phone with the police right now. He bolts out the front door in a sprint.
The kid runs away into the 3am night.
My wife gave the police a description of this kid over the phone (white T-shirt, jeans, black jacket). Two black&whites arrive quickly to our driveway, and the first officer gets out and says, "A young guy in jeans, white shirt and black jacket? Another officer a couple blocks away just got him".
The officer stays and takes down a few statements and thanks us and leaves.
We never knew what the hell just happened.

So let's keep the door locked, shall we?
Old December 21, 2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Kentucky Deer Hunter

Can someone say... KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED! (Especially if there is a man on the front porch at 3am with blood all over him.)

Besides the obvious and keeping your doors locked, what does this have to do with tactics and training? Can't wait to see this bashing

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old December 21, 2007, 04:19 PM   #3
pjn003

ya, i have no idea how anyone can feel safe at night without a gun in the nightstand
Old December 21, 2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Nekron

That guy should've been looking down the barrel of that Kimber after the first "STAY OUTSIDE ON THE PORCH".

The homeowner might not be so lucky next time, otherwise.
Old December 21, 2007, 05:38 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

Reminds me of an incident last summer. I was at work, and got a frantic phone call from a friend saying 'Someones trying to break in!'
The story behind it was, my friends roommate had a guest come over, who proceded to get drunk, and go nutzo. They let him sleep it off for a while and when he stepped outside they locked the doors. He rang the bell, pounded, kicked the door, went around back, tried to get in the sliding door, and the bedroom window, pounding as hard as he could.
This was about 3 am, my friend had called police, kept calling them cause no one was showing up. I didnt get done with work till about 3:30, and jetted over there. By the time I pulled up, the guy had went back to his vehicle, but I didnt know that. I still had my bar gear on, and tucked my holster inside my vest. Cleared the yard, verified the guy was in his car, now passed out.
I stayed with the girls, they wouldnt have gotten any sleep if I didnt. About 7 in the morning the police come knocking on the door. Now they finally show up 4 hours later, and they sent 3 marked cars plus one unmarked (looked like narco unit based on the dress/grooming). They said they talked to the guy, and he swore he wouldnt come to the door again, and that he wasnt trying to break in, blah blah blah.
About 11am he knocks on the door again, the girls are still asleep, so I'm just covering the door with the pistol waiting for him to enter.

I was less than 10 minutes too late to confront the guy, my plan was to pepper spray him and put him in cuffs.
Old December 21, 2007, 05:51 PM   #6
skeeter1

It's hardly Tactics & Training...

It's just plain common sense. Something weird like that happens at 3AM, keep the door locked! I wouldn't have hesitated to brandish the firearm just to remind him to stay out of the house. If it was someone I didn't know, I wouldn't have opened the door in the first place. Call the cops and let them figure it out. They're the pros, your employee probably wasn't.
Old December 22, 2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's hardly Tactics & Training...
---------------------------------------------------------------
It's just plain common sense.
And I wholeheartedly agree.

Question asked and answered, numerous times if you search the forum.

Let's save the bandwidth for something more productive.

CoRoMo, please take a peek here. Thanks.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread