The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 21, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1
CharlesSmith

Bullet drafting & supersonic turbulence

Question: Is the air immediately behind a supersonic round so turbulent it would be impossible to 'draft' another round behind it?
I have been looking at slow motion video of rounds going through water and it seems like there is a pocket of low density right behind the round.
Of course this is theoretical, please spare yourself the time of explaining the problems of placing a second round that close to another.
Have at it guys, tell me what you think.
Old February 21, 2009, 12:37 AM   #2
THEZACHARIAS

Depends on the bullet. In theory you could do it, but I dont know what the application or benefit would be.

Two bullets that are that close together are not going to cause any more damage. The only thing I could think is you might get a slight increase in impact energy because of the increased mass. But considering the complexity in achieving this, it would be easier to just use a larger caliber.
Old February 21, 2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Go Kiwi

If there was a significant aerodynamic advantage to the projectile behind, surely it would catch up to and meet the bullet in front (given the same initial shove etc) If they were anything other than perfectly in line the results would not be good??

The HK caseless round rifle - i forget the name of it is often said to fire a burst so fast there are "three rounds in the barrel at one time" no idea if this is true but perhaps that could set up the conditions you are thinking about?
Old February 21, 2009, 02:12 AM   #4
Swampghost

I couldn't find the pic that I was looking for but this one will work. http://people.rit.edu/andpph/photofi...h-bullet-1.jpg

Notice how much the pressure waves resemble a boats wake? The difference here is that the turbulence will have rotational features due to the spinning of the bullet. This should have little inpact if the following bullet is rotating at the same rate as the forward one. What you are looking at is the turbiditys destabilizing influence vs. the bullets ability to remain stable by rotation.

The distance between the two is all important and is going to vary throughout as the second bullet catches the first.

You may want to contact the guy that built this thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-QP8s1ZJc
Old February 21, 2009, 02:14 AM   #5
Jimro

The low pressure zone is not large enough to accommodate a second bullet of the same size. You might be able to draft a smaller projectile like a .177 BB round or pellet, but the rule is that small objects can draft behind larger objects. The "boat tail" gives a bullet a higher BC because the tail portion allows gas to flow back together faster than a flat based bullet. As such a flat based bullet will have a larger low pressure zone behind it than a boat tail bullet, however the low pressure area will not be larger than the object that created it.

When considering objects of the same size the two objects must be able to effectively close the gap to act as a single body aerodynamically (think drafting in NASCAR). The nose of a car and the tail of a car fit together a lot better than the ogive and tail of a bullet. The tip of the bullet would be inside a low pressure area but the bulk of the ogive would get the full force of the converging high pressure areas caused by the wake of the forward bullet.

If you could fire two flat based bullets, the first one forward and the second backward, then it would be possible to draft the second bullet. But otherwise the shape of the bullets will not allow bullet drafting.

Hope this helps.

Jimro
Old February 21, 2009, 02:23 AM   #6
THEZACHARIAS

Sounds like the sort of thing that would have had to have been looked into when developing the metalstorm systems. Not sure if they have that kind of technical info up on the companys web site, though.
Old February 21, 2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Jekyll

You make my head hurt.
Old March 18, 2009, 09:33 AM   #8
CharlesSmith

Thanks gents!
You guys really know your stuff.

Tags
aerodynamic , bullet , draft , supersonic