The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 27, 2011, 12:14 AM   #551
Sevens

Hey! Don't know how I missed it... but there is a new *factory* ammo player on the market in .327 Federal Magnum!

For your viewing pleasure...

Reed's Ammunition out of OKC, Oklahoma.
Quote:
.327 Federal Magnum 100g Hornady XTP
20 round boxes of .327 Federal ammunition loaded with the Hornady 100g XTP Hollow Point at 1435FPS from a 3" barrel and 1575FPS from a 5" barrel. The .327 Fed Mag is a near terminal ballistic match for the .357 Magnum with the same bullet weights, yet produces less felt recoil and less muzzle blast. A new introduction for us, the Hornady XTP (Extreme Terminal Performance) bullet was a natural match to the .327. The XTP bullet shows excellent performance over a wider array of velocities than more conventional bullets and is right at home in the .327 for both self defense applications as well as small game hunting.
$18.25 per 20 round box.

Quote:
.327 Federal Magnum 115g Gold Dot
20 round boxes of .327 Federal ammunition loaded with the Speer Gold-Dot Hollow Point at 1380FPS from a 3" barrel and 1470FPS from a 5" barrel. The .327 Fed Mag is a near terminal ballistic match for the .357 Magnum with the same bullet weights, yet produces less felt recoil and less muzzle blast. With Speer's longtime winning gold standard bullet, the Gold-Dot hollow point produces exacting results time and time again.
$19.76 per 20 round box.

Haven't bought or shot this stuff so I have no idea if it meets the claimed velocity. If it does..., then the 100 grain easily beats the Buffalo Bore offering. The 155gr Gold Dot load may edge the Speer factory loading.

At this early stage, I suppose it's not so much about performance as much as it is about simply finding an outfit that is willing to support the cartridge.

Welcome, Reed's!
http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=181
Old October 27, 2011, 02:04 AM   #552
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Haven't bought or shot this stuff so I have no idea if it meets the claimed velocity. If it does..., then the 100 grain easily beats the Buffalo Bore offering. The 155gr Gold Dot load may edge the Speer factory loading.
That's a serious .327 load.

Sorry, I had to. Late night. Bored. Can't sleep. Found the end of the internet. Came back to TFL. Found Sevens's typo.

That is excellent news, though. It's even more impressive, since that's more than 40% cheaper than BB's offerings.

Thanks, Reed's!
Old October 27, 2011, 06:46 AM   #553
Sevens

Quote:
Came back to TFL.
Whew, you had me worried.
I thought my typo was the end of the internet.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:49 AM   #554
heyjoe

a heads up. i did order some ammo from Reeds. Some rounds that were listed as in stock were out of stock after i had ordered. i got an email from them a few days after i ordered that 2 of 4 types of ammo i had ordered were out of stock even though listed in stock. took a few more days to get order changed after emailing a few times and calling. still havent gotten any information 11 days later on when ammo that was in stock will be shipped. not the best business model. i hope their ammo is worth the chore it is to get it.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:39 PM   #555
Low Friction

New Ruger SP101

Ruger just recently released the (KSP-341X) 4.2" barrel 357 SP101. This is the perfect configuration for a 327 version Looks like the 327 is loosing it's way with the manufactures and consumers?

Last edited by Low Friction; January 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old January 19, 2012, 02:52 AM   #556
FrankenMauser

I still see them moving well. I do agree that the 4" SP101 would be a nice choice.

Today, I was actually in one of the most repulsive Mall Ninja gun shops in the Salt Lake Valley. What did I see surrounded by hundreds of tacticool firearms?...
Not one. Not two. Not even three. But, SIX .327 Federal revolvers.

In a case full of .454 Casulls, .460 S&Ws, and .500 S&Ws, a half dozen .357 Mags, and a lone Single-Ten, they had:
GP100 327
Blackhawk 327
SP101 327
Charter 327
Taurus 327 Blued (bobbed)
Taurus 327 Stainless

They even had 4 different factory loads at reasonable prices.

But that's not all!
They had an additional Blackhawk and SP101 as range rentals.

So, it has even gained some acceptance with Mall Ninjas and the Tacticool crowd, apparently. If we could just get Mossberg to chamber the 464 SPX in .327 Federal, it would jump from successful, to mainstream...

Last edited by FrankenMauser; January 19, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old January 19, 2012, 03:42 PM   #557
Budda

Old January 19, 2012, 03:56 PM   #558
FrankenMauser

As long as people keep handing me the bat, I'll keep beating that horse -- alive, or dead.

And...
I came across an interesting bullet mold, the other day. Accurate Molds has a listing for a 150 grain 32 caliber bullet, capable of accepting gas checks, that they designed specifically for the .327 Blackhawk. It was designed to give you a maximum weight bullet, while using the extra cylinder length of the Blackhawk, without decreasing case capacity.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=2 (link to their catalog)
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=32-150B-D.png (same link as above - the dimensional drawing)

The beauty of this design, for me, is that I can make it a dual-task bullet. If sized to .313", I can run it in my .32 caliber rifles, as well.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; January 19, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old January 19, 2012, 05:04 PM   #559
9mm

I can't find this "study"
CDNN has a Taurus snub 327 for $230 this week.
Old January 19, 2012, 07:55 PM   #560
L2R

just another non-existant 327 owner

finally found a speed loader with what they call a bedside block-sweet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 327_7_bb_kit.jpg (16.2 KB, 72 views)
Old January 19, 2012, 08:18 PM   #561
Daggitt

Was scanning a Gun Magazine in the Grocery store (Magazine as in publication-not examining my gun at the market) and thought I saw where Smith? was coming out with a new 327 revolver. I thought that must be a mistake as the folks on TFL already declared the 327 a dead caliber ?
Old January 20, 2012, 05:17 AM   #562
kozak6

Quote:
The beauty of this design, for me, is that I can make it a dual-task bullet. If sized to .313", I can run it in my .32 caliber rifles, as well.
Interesting. .32-20?
Old January 20, 2012, 02:40 PM   #563
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Interesting. .32-20?
7.62x54R (M38) and 7.7x58mm Jap (Type 99).
Old January 21, 2012, 09:11 PM   #564
gak

Daggitt said
" Was scanning a Gun Magazine in the Grocery store (Magazine as in publication-not examining my gun at the market) and thought I saw where Smith? was coming out with a new 327 revolver. I thought that must be a mistake as the folks on TFL already declared the 327 a dead caliber ?"

+1 I saw the same. Don't know how it is different from the current offering. Four or so years ago, they came out with the pricey 4" (?) comp'd (ported) Performance Shop gun. Then two years ago--what I thought this new one in the magazine was--and like the new one I believe a 632 Pro series gun, a 2+ snubby non-ported. This new one sports some great looking Trijcon night sights and Pach looking grips and satin stainless finish...and "fluted" (scalloped?) barrel, also like the two year old gun IIRC.. Wishful thinking, but in the pics I couldn't detect the dastardly little lock key hole. Nice piece. All I know is I want one!
BillCA, help us out here!

Last edited by gak; January 21, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old January 21, 2012, 10:52 PM   #565
huntinaz

Quote:
As long as people keep handing me the bat, I'll keep beating that horse -- alive, or dead.
You've sold me. Between 6 shots and supposedly improved recoil, there is no reason for me ( a reloader) to not purchase and shoot this caliber in the SP101 platform. I will wait for a used price however, I refuse to pay new retail when a used one will be just a good.
Old January 22, 2012, 09:33 PM   #566
BillCA

Gak -- I think this is the gun you were thinking of the 632 PP...

And this was the 632 Pro Series snubby at the 2010 SHOT show.

Here's the stock photo for the 632 (#178046)
Old January 23, 2012, 12:29 AM   #567
gak

BillCA, yes that's it (the 2010 SHOT show non ported gun)...However, the very recent gun magazine article looks like it is reporting on the same--making its subject gun sound brand new?--unless I've missed something. If it is the same gun, a little late in reporting?!
Old January 23, 2012, 10:47 AM   #568
Glenn E. Meyer

Got the stainless version of the PP - very sweet gun. I would like to see lightweight J frame or LCR. Be still my wallet.
Old January 23, 2012, 08:01 PM   #569
bluetopper

I'm still waiting on a K framed size 327 with a 6" barrel and adjustable sights.
Old January 24, 2012, 07:29 AM   #570
Hammer It

Quote:
I'm still waiting on a K framed size 327 with a 6" barrel and adjustable sights

Hello
Not me... I Got sick of waiting so had my Model 16-4 converted from .32 H&R Magum to the Federal .327 Magnum Cartridge. The conversion cost's less than $100.00 and I never looked back....

Old January 24, 2012, 11:11 PM   #571
rc

Hammer it, I think I gotta try that load in my GP100!!!
Old January 25, 2012, 12:16 AM   #572
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Hammer it, I think I gotta try that load in my GP100!!!
You'll have to find your way into some Sierra 90 gr JHCs, first. Good luck.
Old January 25, 2012, 12:34 AM   #573
Sevens

Sierra 90gr JHC's are hard to come by.

But you know what's a helluva lot harder to come by?!

Smith & Wesson Model 16-4's. Hammer It drops those photos and his idea often... but those guns are as scarce as hen's teeth. Produced by Smith & Wesson for what... a year? Year and a half? Something tells me that they didn't produce .32 H&R Magnum k-frames with full underlug barrels in ridiculous amounts like the oodles of model 10's that flowed from every crack in the walls of that facility on the east coast.

I'd love to do exactly what he did and own the same thing. Six inch barrel, what a gorgeous revolver and you can bet the farm that nobody else on the range will have anything like THAT on any range day.

But it's a pipe dream.
Old January 25, 2012, 06:50 AM   #574
Hammer It

Quote:
Sierra 90gr JHC's are hard to come by. But you know what's a helluva lot harder to come by?!

Smith & Wesson Model 16-4's. Hammer It drops those photos and his idea often... but those guns are as scarce as hen's teeth. Produced by Smith & Wesson for what... a year? Year and a half? Something tells me that they didn't produce .32 H&R Magnum k-frames with full underlug barrels in ridiculous amounts like the oodles of model 10's that flowed from every crack in the walls of that facility on the east coast.

I'd love to do exactly what he did and own the same thing. Six inch barrel, what a gorgeous revolver and you can bet the farm that nobody else on the range will have anything like THAT on any range day.

But it's a pipe dream.

Hello Sevens
They are Not as Rare as some would think as made about 8800 of the model 16-4's from 1989-1992 time span. Mine is a first year gun being a 1989. and I bought it new in Box about Eight years ago for $600.00. which at that time was plenty for one but to get one now they average a Grand. Not bad considering they are getting that for these slab sided barrel wonder's with the fiber optics pasted on the barrels. These Model 16-4's do pop up on ocasion but if you plan to own one they average a Grand now. Sierra sports Master hollow point bullets are a hard find. I managed to come across Eight Boxes of them in a Local gun shop here about Two years ago. They were new old stock and just sitting there so the shop owner decided to discount them at $7.00 Per 50 round box and home they came. I went on Vacation Last fall and stopped in a Cabellas in Lower Pennsylvania. They had Twelve boxes of Hornady 100 Grain XTP Bullets in .32 caliber so I bought all Twelve boxes. I stopped at another huge gun shop called Fur, Fish & Game in Middle Ohio and they had another dozen boxes of the Hornady XTP's so I tapped into their entire supply of them as well. These items are out there you just have to look and be willing to pay when they show up, No Pipe dreams, just good hunting Here is a model 16-4 with a 4" Tube on it right now for sale for $1100.00 and I do know where an Unfired 8-3/8" Barrel model is sitting at this point and time as well....Keep the Faith they do surface...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/SMI...n_id=100221777
Old January 25, 2012, 07:26 AM   #575
Sevens

Quote:
I stopped at another huge gun shop called Fur, Fish & Game in Middle Ohio and they had another dozen boxes of the Hornady XTP's so I tapped into their entire supply of them as well.
Hey you dang sniper, that's Goschinski's Fin, Feather & Fur in Ashland, Ohio, and that's my store! Well, 'bout 65 miles from me, it's where I get all my powder, all my rimfire and it's where I get all my .312" Hornady XTP slugs!

No worries, though, they've kept stock of these bullets... somehow... and I have (more than once) cleared them out of 100 grain XTP's in exactly the same fashion.

Small world!
(they haven't ever had the Sierra 90gr JHC, though, not since the Barackolypse)