The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 21, 2009, 02:22 AM   #1
peluo1

Shooting my rifles and pistol

I spent more than an hour uploading these videos to youtube so you all better watch them. LOL j/k. But if you are like me, videos of people shooting cool guns at a shooting range goes well any time of day. I thought it was about time to add my share to the videos.

Check them out, featuring a Dragunov Tigr, 91/30 Mosin Nagant, and AK-47 among others. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be4hE...eature=channel
Old July 21, 2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Well, I just watched all six clips.

I was fascinated and speechless as I watched.

That looks like a nice range. Is it public or private?

1) What was the purpose of the destruction of the target holder? It looked as though the uprights were set in the ground, making me think it was not taken to the range for removal afterwards. Which in turn makes me think it was there when you got to the range. I could be wrong. The question here is, did you destroy a target stand erected by someone else? It looked new. If it was your target stand, I guess it doesn't matter as long as you cleaned up after yourself.

2) I noticed the berms were of no use to you since you were firing into the ground a good percentage of the time, up into the air a couple of times as the muzzle of the bolt gun was brought very close to the target stand and actually off to the side of the range with the handgun. Any idea where those rounds fired upward came down? How about the ones fired into the ground at shallow angles? ANY idea where those bullets went?

3) I also watched the camera man come close to death. "I hope that thing isn't loaded!" "Of course not." Muzzle control in general was nonexistent. Any idea how many people are killed each day with firearms that were known to be unloaded?

4) I never once saw a shot taken at a "target". It was all random shooting at anything in front of the shooter, and sometimes off to the side.

5) What is the purpose of the scope on the Dragunov? You don't need a scope when firing from the waist. For that matter, you don't need a Dragunov for that. Just curious.

All in all, I'd say those clips are evidence of some young people on a range with no training in firearm safety and no education in range etiquette, as in respect for the property of others. Having a good time is not and never has been an excuse for destruction of private property or behavior that endangers another person.

I'm sure you cleaned up after yourselves. No, ... I'm not sure of that at all. That would just not be in character after what watching those clips.

wowthatwasreallycoolandtacticalthanks
Old July 21, 2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Superhouse 15

Old July 21, 2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Mello2u

Obviously you failed to observe the safety rule about knowing where your bullets are going to stop.

Rule # 4

Be absolutely sure
of your target, and
what is behind it.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old July 21, 2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Delaware_Dan

Quote:
Couldn't leave the range without shooting at some water.
So you shot high powered rifles at the waters surface. Good job.
Old July 21, 2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Farmland

Impressed? I don't find videos that violate safe gun handling, shooting etc entertaining.

Other than that I too am speechless, I mean what more could I say after viewing those videos.

I would hope that you would be more responsible and safer the next time you go to the range.

I remember the video that I saw were some people were just having some fun. There were cases of improper gun handling and muzzle pointing. The guys were having fun until the one time the shooter accidentally shot his own hand.

Things can go wrong and we should all remember there is the right way to have fun shooting and there is a wrong way to have fun shooting.

The next time you go to the range please keep the basic safety rules in place and have fun the correct way. Take care and please be safe.
Old July 21, 2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Buzzcook

I usually say that the most important thing is to have fun. I'll make an exception in this case.

I really don't see the fun in standing 1yd from a target and blowing holes through it. You might as well use a cordless drill.
Old July 21, 2009, 01:08 PM   #8
peluo1

lol I showed 6 videos and yall think this is all we do when we go to the range. We go shooting all the time and follow all safety precautions. This time, being our last time shooting together, we decided to..yes...do some "unsafe" stuff. No bullets went over the berm, guns were double, triple, and quadruple checked to make sure they werent loaded when messing around,the target was made by us so we wanted to destroy it before we left, and yes we cleaned up after ourselves. I guess all of you think that if we have some "weird" fun for 15 minutes that we absolutely have no clue what we're doing. That's fine, I see no way I can convince you otherwise but hear this...

The number one thing we do when we go shooting is to make sure not to #1 hurt anyone else or even POTENTIALLY hurt anyone else and #2 not hurt ourselves.

Take the video for what it is...entertainment.
Old July 21, 2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Bud Helms

Well, the video documents pointing a weapon at another and firing at the ground and up in the air.

But you stick to your story there, buddy. It'll be okay.
Old July 21, 2009, 01:38 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

I kind of wish I had been able to see these videos. The link just takes me to the general sight, so I assume they were removed or OP edited the link.
Old July 21, 2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Bud Helms

Yes, it looks like they have been removed. 'Wonder why?
Old July 21, 2009, 04:12 PM   #12
peluo1

You are an angry fellow
Old July 21, 2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Mello2u

At least 4 bullets missed the berm in the part 5 video. One when a shooter was firing a long arm up at the top cross piece of the target holder at about a 35 degree angle. That bullet may have come down somewhere a mile or two away.

The others were several handgun bullets fired by the guy in the orange shirt which were fired at an angle to the right of the berm and totally missed the berm. He turned his head away from the target can did not control where he was firing..
" Frederic Bastiat

Last edited by Mello2u; July 21, 2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old July 21, 2009, 04:26 PM   #14
peluo1

yep, bullets over the berm NEVER happen...prob killed some people wtv. lol you guys are funny.
Old July 21, 2009, 04:28 PM   #15
jephthai

Peluo1:

The gentlemen in this thread are not angry in any way that diminishes them. What I see here is that you have unwittingly stumbled onto an Internet forum that is full of very knowledgeable people, many of whom are (likely) substantially older and more experienced than you, who are frustrated with the attitude you displayed towards an activity that they hold dear.

I can only assume that you have not spent any significant time reading through threads on this forum prior to posting your videos. If you had, you would have noticed that the people who frequent this forum are serious about safety, etiquette, and the survival of the firearm sports. They are a tremendous resource, and their input should not be scoffed at and discarded.

I challenge you to examine yourself and your videos in light of what these kind sirs have brought to your attention. A mature and humble response would be to recognize the real danger of the activities you called fun, and make a change for the better.

I, for one, am concerned with lots of the videos I see on Youtube that display a similar disregard for safety precautions. In some small part, these behaviors diminish the entire gun-owning culture. This culture includes people like Bud Helms who have devoted more life and expertise to this hobby / responsibility / way of life than even his thousands of posts on this forum might indicate.

I believe his tone, though it may seem harsh, is appropriately harsh. It is, in fact, a reprimand, and should be received as such. It was certainly intended to curb any meaningless discussion following your posted videos and keep the discussion centered on safety.

-Jephthai-
Old July 21, 2009, 04:47 PM   #16
peluo1

I saw the guy's profile and now understand. I must seem like some young know-nothing buffoon. And in regards to gun experience...I somewhat am. I trusted that I had enough experience though that I could mess around in a safe way. We were surrounded by an immense forest so we figured no to little danger in possible stray bullets. We always stood behind the person shooting. Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun at anyone.

Looking back, based on personal philosophy too, I would do it again in an instant. But I guess thats just human nature to always bend/break the "rules". You all on this forum must think "Oh here come another one"...and one day I will be saying the same thing. Until then I guarantee I will make mistakes, but I also guarantee I will learn from them.

Last edited by peluo1; July 21, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old July 21, 2009, 05:05 PM   #17
Steamboatsig

Famous Last Words

"I hope it is not loaded"
"Of course not"

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun anyone." OMG!!!!!! Classic.

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun [at] anyone"
Old July 21, 2009, 05:13 PM   #18
peluo1

It's what I do. I write classics.
Old July 21, 2009, 05:48 PM   #19
peluo1

make sure to add the "at" before "anyone"
Old July 21, 2009, 07:40 PM   #20
RaisedByWolves

Your the one in the orange shirt, aren't you?

Must have left your rainbow wig, big shoes and red nose at home that day.

*edit* BTW, thats only a PSL, not a Dragunov.
Old July 21, 2009, 10:15 PM   #21
Bud Helms

jephthai, thanks for the vote of confidence. I do not deserve that much praise.

Gents, I fear this is going to be a "piling on" and hence of no learning value or any other useful purpose.

peluo1, it was not my purpose to insult you for personal satisfaction. But you must understand how insulting your video clips and cavalier attitude in this thread are to us.

The first line in the Forum Rules, by way of an introduction and statement of purpose is, "Welcome to The Firing Line, a virtual community dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership." That is our mission. We believe in having fun, but we never, ever, ever sacrifice safety for that end. Not ever. Not for a second. When it comes to firearms, you don't get a do-over when you send that bullet down range. It is very difficult for us to take you seriously after seeing those video clips.

We are also staunch defenders of your right to keep and bear arms if you so wish, but please consider another fun hobby. I fear firearms will be your undoing. Some people should just stay away from sharp objects and things that go boom. Nothing personal in this, just friendly serious advice. Please take it as such.

If you gentlemen would allow peluo1 the courtesy of a reply, I will then close this thread.

Thanks,

Bud
Old July 21, 2009, 10:29 PM   #22
peluo1

Bud, I can respect that. Understood.

My apologies to the firearm world for my unsafe actions. Let's call it then a "What NOT to do at the shooting range" video.

To clarify for my own stupid purpose..it is a russian dragunov, not psl. check the furniture and the magazine.
Old July 21, 2009, 10:33 PM   #23
Bud Helms

Thank you.

We're closed here.
Closed Thread

Tags
ak47 , dragunov , mosin nagant , shooting , video