The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 05:23 PM   #1
hoodlum206

Taurus mfg cant find my serial number= no replacement parts

i recently got an older Taurus model 85 .38 special. the gun was missing the cylinder stop plunger and spring. I figured it was no big deal. I called Taurus today and after waiting on hold for 55 mins their customer service person said he could not find my serial number in any of their systems. And because he could not find the serial number he could not offer replacement parts or service work. Anything I can do to get parts or anyone know where to locate parts? Gunpartscorp is out of stock on the plunger/spring. I need both
Old February 19, 2013, 10:46 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Huh? They manufactured it yet don't have the records?

I've never dealt with Taurus nor have I owned one, but your request doesn't seem unreasonable. I'm wondering if you talked with someone who couldn't find the information or just didn't want to go to the trouble to find it. I'd call them back and see if you talk to someone different this time - or request to talk to a supervisor. Explain your problem and see what the reply is on your second call. If they still blow you off, then I'd just politely say that you THOUGHT Taurus, especially as a manufacturer in the U.S. was a reputable company that offered Taurus owners good service. In fact, you were thinking of buying another one but all of this has changed you mind.

Irregardless of what some folks think of Taurus, there are a lot of happy Taurus owners out there. If they don't make or have the part available anymore - that would be one thing. If heir records are that sloppy that they can't find your serial # or offer to help you out if you eiher send them a JPEG of the pistol and part or even the part so they could match it . . . I'd say their CS is lacking.

If you don't get anywhere with them, then you might want to post in some gun board classifieds a WTB or "Part Needed" along with a photo of your pistol and the part you are seeking.

Good luck to you - I hope it works out for you so you can get your pistol back together and working.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 19, 2013, 11:52 PM   #3
spanishjames

Try Numrich for parts, here's a parts diagram, along with a list that may help.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...6/85-42015.htm

You can also look up a serial number on Taurus' website:

http://www.taurususa.com/find-model.cfm

I know how you feel regarding the hold time at Taurus. I was once in search of a spring for a Model 94, and spent over an hour on hold. I finally gave up and used a spring made for a S&W that I modified a bit. I hope I never have to call them to get a gun repaired.
Old February 20, 2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Huh? They manufactured it yet don't have the records?
Who's they, the new Taurus, or the old Taurus?

What I didn't bother reading.....

Quote:
I've never dealt with Taurus nor have I owned one, but your request doesn't seem unreasonable. I'm wondering if you talked with someone who couldn't find the information or just didn't want to go to the trouble to find it. I'd call them back and see if you talk to someone different this time - or request to talk to a supervisor. Explain your problem and see what the reply is on your second call. If they still blow you off, then I'd just politely say that you THOUGHT Taurus, especially as a manufacturer in the U.S. was a reputable company that offered Taurus owners good service. In fact, you were thinking of buying another one but all of this has changed you mind.

Irregardless of what some folks think of Taurus, there are a lot of happy Taurus owners out there. If they don't make or have the part available anymore - that would be one thing. If heir records are that sloppy that they can't find your serial # or offer to help you out if you eiher send them a JPEG of the pistol and part or even the part so they could match it . . . I'd say their CS is lacking.

If you don't get anywhere with them, then you might want to post in some gun board classifieds a WTB or "Part Needed" along with a photo of your pistol and the part you are seeking.

Good luck to you - I hope it works out for you so you can get your pistol back together and working.
The the OP, I hope you have more time than money, and also a back up gun if you feel the need be.
Of course even today, in the here and now, money doesn't supercede time.

Good luck!
Old February 20, 2013, 02:46 AM   #5
hoodlum206

After posting a brief disgruntled message on their facebook page i promptly received a response. The person that handles their social media pages was able to find info on my wheel gun. They told me that they were going to talk to their gunsmiths tomorrow and see if they had the parts im requesting available. If they do have the parts I was told they would be sent out to me free of charge as part of their "lifetime warranty". My fingers are crossed that they come thru with some parts to fix my pistola
Old February 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can see that for warranty work they would want to see that there is such a gun and you own it. But assuming you were willing to pay for the parts, I have no idea why they care about the serial number or anything else. You are just buying some non-critical parts.

That design is not bad, but it does lead to a lot of missing parts when they jump out and are lost.

Jim
Old February 20, 2013, 12:41 PM   #7
kahrguy

Just a dip stick CS guy to lazy to do his job. Today there anywhere that has CS people.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #8
larryf1952

Just for giggles, I looked up the serial numbers for the 3 Taurus guns that I own. They are all early '90's guns. The only one that was found was the Model 85 .38 snub that I bought in 1991. My PT92 and the PT100 that I bought a year later were not in their system.
Old February 20, 2013, 01:15 PM   #9
hoodlum206

The customer service guy told me their records would only show guns imported thru Miami Florida. Anything before that wouldnt show. My serial didnt come up on their website search either. And I totally agree, why do they need the serial to send me parts? Odd. Still waiting to hear back from someone today.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:58 PM   #10
laytonj1

Quote:
Who's they, the new Taurus, or the old Taurus?
LOL, how would one go about contacting the old Taurus?

Jim
Old February 22, 2013, 05:39 AM   #11
OkieCruffler

Quote:
how would one go about contacting the old Taurus?
My wife is an old Taurus.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Pahoo

Getting the old run-around !!!

I find this a bit strange. First off, don't they still have a "lifetime" warranty?
Now, the last time I had a problem with a Taurus, they never asked me for the serial number. All I did, was mail it in and after a couple of tries, they made the fix at no cost to me. Why don't you just send the darn thing in and be sure to track it. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 22, 2013, 04:57 PM   #13
spanishjames

The serial number would help them know which part to send you. A Model 85 made in the early 90s may not use the exact same parts as one made last year. If they just sent out random parts and didn't fit your gun, you'd be in the same boat as before, and they'd be out two sets of parts.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:06 PM   #14
buck460XVR

Quote:
The serial number would help them know which part to send you. A Model 85 made in the early 90s may not use the exact same parts as one made last year. If they just sent out random parts and didn't fit your gun, you'd be in the same boat as before, and they'd be out two sets of parts.

This and the liability if they sent the wrong parts and someone got hurt because of it. Also, without a legitimate serial number there is no real evidence you really have a gun that needs parts.

Then there's the question if you aren't smart enough to find the serial number, should you really be working on a firearm yourself.......
Old February 23, 2013, 10:33 AM   #15
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
My wife is an old Taurus
Actually the old Taurus was written and performed by Spirit. Led Zeppelin merely stole it and used it as the intro for Stairway to Heaven.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:55 PM   #16
oldgunsmith

About 25 years ago we got a Taurus revolver in that was spitting lead so bad nobody could get near the shooter on the range. I called the distributor about the warranty and wound up having to explain how I knew there was a problem with cylinder-barrel alignment. We sent it to them and got it back with the chambers beveled in front so the range rod would slip in easier.