The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2009, 09:38 PM   #51
smith627

RCBS Hand Primer

I've used the RCBS hand primer off and on for at least 10 yrs with no breaks or problems. I think I paid $23 at the time. The sporting goods store where I bought it in Miss. only had RCBS products so I've never used any other brand. The standard shell holders used on my Rockchucker can be used on the primer tool. I guess if anything ever did break, RCBS would give me a new one based on their customer service. It also doubles as a good grip and forearm exerciser.
Old January 7, 2009, 10:42 PM   #52
That'll Do

For the short time I've been reloading, I've used the Lee primer.

It works well enough for me–I haven't been reloading long enough to know better.

Different strokes for different folks–we're gonna use what works best for us.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:46 AM   #53
Dallas Jack

I have the LEE and the RCBS priming tools. I prefer the RCBS,

Note: LEE says not to use CCI primers in their tool. Don't know why.
Dallas Jack
Old January 8, 2009, 06:46 AM   #54
Hook686

Lyman 310 Tong Tool

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 8, 2009, 07:22 AM   #55
DaveInPA

Quote:
Note: LEE says not to use CCI primers in their tool. Don't know why.
Actually I think they say TO use CCI and to avoid Federal.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:16 AM   #56
ZeSpectre

I've only been reloading for a short time, but have put roughly 2k rounds through an RCBS hand primer. Seems to work well for me.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:44 PM   #57
Cinaed

I have been using the Lyman 310 Tong tool for years, since 1981.

I recently purchased a Lee Hand Press in order to use standard dies since Lyman doesn't offer .358 Winchester dies for the 310 tool.

However, I called the guy that owns this site: <http://www.the310shop.com/> and he will make a custom set of 5/8" dies for my rifle and include either the old fashioned steel handles or the aluminum universal handles with shell holder for extra. The dies are $70 for a set of five dies per cartridge.

The Lee Hand Press came with the Ram prime attachment. I have not used any of the hand press tools mentioned by others in this thread, but I like both the Lee Ram Prime attachment for the hand press and the Lyman 310 priming die. I prefer the Lyman: compact, simple, straight forward, rugged. It's more of a "hand" tool than the Lee hand press with ram prime because you have a greater range of motion with the hand press lever than the compact 310 tool.

Last edited by Cinaed; February 1, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old January 30, 2009, 10:40 PM   #58
Inspector3711

There are complaints about RCBS and Lee here. There are also those who swear by both. Is anyone complaining about the Hornady? It rocks.
Old January 31, 2009, 12:20 AM   #59
daywalker627

I have borrowed a friends Lee off and on now for a couple of months. He swears by it and so far I have found nothing wrong with it. I am actually going to pick my own Lee up here in a couple of days so that I have my own without having to borrow a friends. I have not tried the RCBS or the Hornady. From what I have been reading, all three are just like all brands of handguns. Some likes certain one and some like the others. Some feel that because the product costs less it must be less quality as well. I do not personally like the lee safety scale and some loves them. I will pay the 12 bucks for the lee and the extra 22 for shells. I do not mind people that do not want them, that means there wont be a shortage of them in the long run

Sorry I had to add this in as an edit, I do remember and I do not load anything small primer as of yet, however, my friend did tell me that the small primers were a little finiky in his Lee, but, a small shake and they fall in line.

Last edited by daywalker627; January 31, 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: had to add something right quick
Old January 31, 2009, 02:19 AM   #60
MrSardonicus

I have tried most of the different brands and I settled on the Lee...never looked back. No problems, no regrets. I love almost all of the Lee products I own. Inexpensive, well designed, effective. I am frugal by nature, which is why I reload, so if you want to call me cheep, that's ok. If you want to call Lee products cheep, that's ok too. They work well for me.
Good luck, good shooting.