The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 2, 2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Andrew Wiggin

.357 mag ballistic test: Remington 180 gr SJHP fired from revolver and carbine

*This post might be better placed in the handgun forum because it is handgun ammunition but it involves a rifle too. Mods, please let me know where this fits best.

.357 mag Remington 180 gr SJHP video link

.357 mag Remington 180 gr SJHP fired from S&W Model 13 4" revolver and from Rossi M92 16" carbine through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

BB: 597.8 fps, 3.2"

Revolver data

Impact velocity: 1,193 fps
Pentration: 17.8"
Retained weight: 181.7 gr
Max expansion: 0.557"
Min expansion: 0.534"

Carbine data

Impact velocity: 1,563 fps
Penetration: 18.1"
Retained weight: 151.3 gr
Max expansion: 0.600"
Min Expansion: 0.587"
Old August 3, 2014, 09:02 AM   #2
2damnold4this

Thanks for the information. How do you think the carbine would stack up against a 30-30 load?
Old August 3, 2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Andrew Wiggin

It's not a "real" rifle but it looks like out could certainly do the job for small deer out to a hundred yards or so. I'm no expert, though.
Old August 3, 2014, 11:15 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
BB: 597.8 fps, 3.2"
What does this mean?

I am a little surprised at the relatively small difference in velocities. Penetration is about the same, again, a small surprise.

Might just be the 180s and the guns used, though.
Old August 3, 2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Andrew Wiggin

It's the calibration result. Ballistic gelatin requires a .177 steel BB to fired into it to ensure the proper density. The acceptable range is 590 fps +/- 15 fps and 2.95"-3.75" of penetration. Calibration results that fall just outside that range can be adjusted by the McPherson method, if you subscribe to that belief. Test results that fall within that range can be taken at face value. Test results that claim calibration but do not give figures should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Andy Blozinski

I doesn't seem like much of a change in penetration.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Andrew Wiggin

I'll bet that at 1,300 or 1,400 fps there is a substantial difference. The bullet fired from the rifle shed a lot of weight.
Old August 4, 2014, 10:16 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

First off, thanks for explaining about the "calibration" of the gel.

These are the results from a single round from each, pistol and carbine?

The rifle round lost approx. 30gr. 17% (rounded off) of its weight. And in doing so only penetrated 0.3" deeper, and expanded 0.05" more than the round fired from the pistol.

I consider these amounts effectively insignificant. Despite the 350ish fps difference in velocity, the results were nearly identical.

Based only on the data you give, there is no practical difference between the rifle and the revolver with that load.
Old August 4, 2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Andrew Wiggin

That's correct on the surface of things but there is more to the story. The round from the rifle and the one from the handgun both arrived at nearly the same place but they took a different route to get there. Because the rifle shot fragmented more, it also produced greater disruption in the first few inches of "tissue". It at least produced a larger temporary cavity. I believe that the projectile would penetrate less at some velocity between 1,200 fps and 1,560 fps where the projectile expands to a greater degree but not to the point that parts break off. It might also penetrate more deeply when fired from the revolver at greater distance because the impact velocity would be low enough that the bullet would expand less.

If anything, this underscores the difference between amateur testing by laypeople like myself and proper laboratory testing. If I had the time and the resources, I'd like to test this load at a variety of distances, with and without denim and other barriers, and with a minimum of five shots for each test. I believe that my testing gives a reasonable indication of performance (else I wouldn't bother) but it doesn't give a comprehensive picture over a wide range of circumstances.

Some day I might choose some of my favorite loads and do a comprehensive battery of testing. One thing that has interested me is the idea of using a reduced powder charge and shooting the block at a distance of 100 yards or so. That should simulate the effect of even greater range.
Old August 7, 2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Unlicensed Dremel

Excellent work, thank you.

Buffalo Bore has 180s that they claim top 1800 fps from an 18" or 18.5" bbl (not 16" like your test), and ditto but with 158s and over 2000 fps they claim.

Amazing how much penetration that handgun bullet gets.
Old August 27, 2014, 12:36 PM   #11
Andrew Wiggin

I'll have to check those out. A friend has a 180 gr Ranch Dog mold and we plan on experimenting with various lead/tin alloys and possibly drill shallow cavities in the nose. I'd like to find something that will expand only a little from the handgun and still be able to push reasonably deeply from the rifle. I want my cake and to eat it too. This SJHP is almost exactly what I'm looking for but I'd like to be able to roll my own and get close to this performance.