The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Reloader2

The Lee Classic turret press arrived

The press arrived this afternoon and I got it set up to load some 9mm ammo. Probably be a couple of days before I actually produce some ammo as I've got to put some time in on a real job.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:30 AM   #2
grumpa72

Just remember that lots of folks use the Lee Classic Turret and are available if you have issues. In addition, Lee has some very nice videos on their website. I LOVE Lee equipment but hate their instructions. I have found that their instructions fall far short of their products, imo.

Have fun
Old August 18, 2013, 08:19 AM   #3
ATPBULLETS

Great machine...enjoy
Old August 19, 2013, 01:00 AM   #4
grisbald

Congratz. You'll enjoy the press. I have.
Old August 20, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
dwhite

I bought a used 3 hole last year. Needed a new ram which Lee
had to me quickly. It's been a great machine. Using a dipper and
manually placing primers I can easily get 100 rounds per hour.

All the Best,
D. White
Old September 6, 2013, 05:42 PM   #6
bt380

Congrats on the new Classic Turret. Curious, since Lee sends a spare "square ratchet," did you use any of the Hornady dry lube on the square index rod? Seen several videos on the class turret but never see any dry lube applications for the turret where it rotates in the press or auto index clamp and square ratchet.
Old September 6, 2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I LOVE Lee equipment but hate their instructions. I have found that their instructions fall far short of their products, imo.
True. The instructions that came with mine left me to fill in blanks with a little common sense and a little testing to be sure.

I am seriously considering a progressive press sometime in he future and plan to use the little single stage starter press as a backup.

I am not 100% set on a LEE for a progressive. I may spend a little more, but we'll see.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:23 AM   #8
bt380

I think the Lee is a great press and if treated right, will provide lots of service. Preventative maintenance care is important for all presses and makes for a more pleasant hobby. The Lee Classic Turret provides a lot of options. It is to me, a single stage press that I don't have to keep switching dies on since the dies cycle around as work progresses on a single round one step at a time. Removing the index rod makes it into a single stage for cycling thru resizing/depriming before cleaning brass. After cleaning, the press can be used with just the powder stage, powder cop of choice, separate seat and crimp stage all the while treating the single round to a revolving die set.
-
The turret also lets you do precision rounds in a single minded approach for clarity of focus.
-
For quickness and ease, the Hornady LNL AP is hard to beat since the upgrades have made it more resilient. One does need to go thru the instruction, the videos, and the you-tube adjustment phases. The best Hornady instructional/maintenance video series is 76highboy on youtube. The LNL AP is versatile making it a whole lot of fun to use.
-
Combining the Lee Classic Turret options and teaming w/ Honrnady LNL AP makes for a fun reloading hobby.
-
No doubt the RCSB and others have their combination benefits and are good presses as well.
-
Reloading and learning more variations w/ presses, bullets, powders, etc are some times more fun than the shooting.