The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2009, 08:03 PM   #1
billythekid007

.257 velocity?

whats the max velocity for a .257 bullet... ie: 110gr. nosler accubond?

I dont it depends on a lot but what would you say is max for the bullet to hold up?
Old January 30, 2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

No single answer. Depends on the bullet construction, depends on the barrel twist rate, and the barrel length. I can tell you that Harold Vaughn measured core slip in the .270 at around 3150 fps and up with the particular bullet he used. That doesn't blow the bullet up, but it messes with accuracy. You most likely have a 10" twist, like the .270. That should mean any given bullet design may be put through about eight percent faster than the same design in the .270 before the same rotational acceleration forces are acting on the bullet at the inside of the jacket hard enough to strip the core. If you use the same bullet design Vaughn experimented with, you would then expect to see accuracy start falling apart or fliers appearing at from this cause at around 3400 fps. Unfortunately, it's one of those "all else being equal things", and all else seldom is equal.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 30, 2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Shoney

I agree with Unclenick. I worked with a friend on his 25-284. There were no 110 gr bullets at that time, but he tried 100gr and 117 gr bullets.

The 100 grains would shoot in excess of 3400 fps but with badly flattened primers. Accuracy got worse after 3000 to 3100 fps. The 117 would only be pushed to 3250 fps, with accuracy falling off after 3000 fps.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111