The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 28, 2013, 06:34 AM   #1
pjensen

S & W Model 60

I am looking for a replacement hammer for my S & W Model 60. I dropped the weapon and the thumb pull of the hammer actually broke off. The weapon fires fine with double action. Any help or lead would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
PetahW

Welcome to TFL, PJ -

Numrich lists both complete hammer assemblies @ $54, & stripped hammers @ $37:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/298500.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1234820.htm

Old August 28, 2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Pay special attention to these numbers: 60, 60-2, 60-3, 60-4, 60-5 (from the Gunparts listing).

Make sure that the model number on your gun (found in the cut under the barrel when you open the cylinder) matches what Gun Parts offers.

That will help ensure that you don't get a hammer that won't work well without a bunch of extra fitting due to manufacturing changes in the gun over time.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 28, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Sevens

I'm -miles- from a gun smith, and others will know better, but given the precise interaction between the Smith & Wesson's trigger / sear / hammer parts, I wouldn't be comfortable simply swapping in a new hammer and expecting the best possible results. Is it a "drop in" part? I don't know. Maybe?!

Smith & Wesson has a fine reputation in this industry for customer care & service. I wouldn't order a single part or loosen a single screw without at least calling them up and explaining the situation. I would say there is a fine chance that they'll do it for you, and cover the associated costs.
Old August 28, 2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

My experience (albeit only with three guns) is that as long as the model and engineering numbers match, the drop in capability will be very good to perfect.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 28, 2013, 07:06 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
I dropped the weapon and the thumb pull of the hammer actually broke off.
God sent you a message. He does not want you to have a hammer spur on your gun. He wants you to grind and polish the area flush with the hammer and learn to shoot double action.
Old August 28, 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
spacecoast

Quote:
My experience (albeit only with three guns) is that as long as the model and engineering numbers match, the drop in capability will be very good to perfect.
I switched the hammer out on my 60-7 with a spurless hammer and it fit fine.