The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 22, 2007, 05:22 AM   #1
Watermain

Leica Rangefinders

I've just ordered a Leica 900 scan rangefinder (as new in box Ebay $305). That's damned cheap by our standards. We have to take a mortgage for anything with Leica on it, here.

Does anyone have experience of these? I know it's not as desirable as the 1200 scan, but I was seduced by the price.

Leupold's new version has an inclinometer that helps with ACTUAL distance to the target when shooting up or downhill. Sounds a better bet, but at a price.

In reality, I generally shoot at under 200 yards, but I guess there will come day when a gold medal head appears on a deer at 300 yards.

The ideal rangefinder will be like the Leica Geovid, but in 8x32 maginification (for portability) with range, plus inclination adjustment, fully waterproof, light-weight, and under $500. I dream, of course. But it would be nice to have to take only one intrument rather than two, and still have lightness.
Old January 22, 2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Zak Smith

You got a good rangefinder at a good price.

Laser range-finders tend to work better closer, and are at the whim of atmospheric conditions and reflectivity. The new Geovids are a great package-- excellent binocs with a good LRF-- but not many can pull the $2k price.

Generally the Swarovski monocular LRF ranges further and better (ie, in worse conditions) than the Leica, but it's also $900.