The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 18, 1999, 10:29 PM   #1
Joe Portale

Howdey all,

As I mentioned in a past post, I am planning on building a rifle for myself. After some research I can't seem to decide on what action to choose. I have looked at the venerable Remington 7000, Rugers and some others. I was hoping that some of the more experienced folks could offer their opinion.
Thanks in advance

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

Old August 19, 1999, 08:45 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've sorta got my stinger out against Rugers. I bought a 77 in .223, and it had the tort-liability unadjustable trigger. Had to then buy a Timney. Humph.

You didn't say what use, what cartridge. If it's a cartridge requiring a long action, the Mark 10 used to be a good Mauser-type action, and relatively inexpensive.

No knock on the Rem 700, but the Sako is another to check out. As I've said before, most of my stuff is too old to use as a comparison. Today's machinery is better, more accurate and more precise; but there is less completion in the final finish and polish...

Are you after particularly light weight, such as a mountain rifle? Or more for fun-type bench-rest?

I guess a primary criterion for the action in a "labor of love" is stiffness. Next, the quality of whatever trigger you use. If after-market, I'm impressed with my Canjar. It's like breaking a glass rod; I can bounce the butt pad on the floor and its 2-lb pull still won't go off. The Timney I put on my Ruger still could use some very-fine stoning.

Oh, well. Give us a few more clues about your expected uses, cartridge, etc.

FWIW, Art

Old August 21, 1999, 06:17 PM   #3
Joe Portale

Art,

Thanks for the response. I was planning on using a 30.06 or .308 cartridge in this hmebuilt. I building the rifle around a Remington 700 stock that I am carving myself.
Primarily the rifle will be used for bench rest shooting. I haven't given much thought to changing out the trigger. I have looked at Sako works and am still undecided. A buddy said that Mauser actions are fairly inexpensive. I translate that to mean I'll be spend a lot of time with the dremel and stones. I would like a action that will not need a great deal of work out of the box.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder

Old August 22, 1999, 07:52 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Folks here on TFL have commented that the .308 makes a better target rifle than the .30-'06. I've never worried over a .308, so I dunno.

The .308 would take a short action, which would be a tad stiffer. It is generally more efficient with a shorter barrel than would be best for an '06. So, you could get a heavy or heavy-fluted barrel of around 20" or 22"; again, stiffer than a 26" tube.

Before spending any money, why not hunt some back issues of the magazine catering to BR shooters? (Dunno the exact name.) Contact some of their folks? Maybe they have a web site?

FWIW, Art
Old August 22, 1999, 08:25 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, Joe: Got off my lazy duff and searched. Try http://www.benchrest.com and browse around. I particularly like the Blackstar site...Hall actions are a bit pricier than I need...

Later, Art
Old August 22, 1999, 09:22 PM   #6
Joe Portale

Thanks for all the info Art! I have a real nice piece of mesquite that I've been drying for a couple of years to make the stock from.
I'm ready to go, I just need to decide what action to get. Decisions, decisions.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder

Old August 23, 1999, 12:21 AM   #7
zot

Mauser 98 is a simple switch to a heavy barreled 30/06, and only a magnum cartrige
could beat it,.308s in Mauser 98s never seem to feed well for me, you can get CZ actions
in excellent shape for under a $100, or Bruno
or Waffen SS, get one dated pre-war their
metal is stronger than a 43 to 1945.the actions are stronger than most rifles made today, I beleive this. and you can detail
Mausers into works of art and still stay under the cost of a Remington 700 with bells and whistles. I LIKE Mausers, seen one I liked that was synthetic stock, heavy barrel
and the all metal was a smooth parkerized
black.
Old August 25, 1999, 09:58 PM   #8
HankL

Joe, You still haven't looked into the Sako?
It will work,it will save you time, and it will most likely save you money!
IMHO Hank
Old August 26, 1999, 12:30 AM   #9
Big Bunny

Joe the trouble with building a rifle is that it becomes too complicated for some who add on bits ad $$ infinitum.
The only one I did was a synthetic stocked M96 Swedish 6.5x55 mauser,Leupold 3/9 scope,take off old wood, degrease clean for 4 hours, then $$... recrowned/shortened the barrel, Timney trigger, floated barrel. Ready! But it still cost half the cost of a newie....Im really happy with it, but I will never do it again.(But have a go if you really must.)

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old August 26, 1999, 09:22 AM   #10
Joe Portale

HankL, I have been doing some research on the Sako's and they do look pretty good. The Sako listed (only one) in the Brownell's catalogue is a bit pricey for this project. A friend of mine is making arrangements for me to sit down with a rifle maker that he knows for a chat. That should prove interesting.

Big Bunny, I am carving my own stock. That's how all this started. I agree that this type of a thing can get out of control if one doesn't know when to stop. I'm trying to keep this simply since it will be my first rifle. Thanks for the advice.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder

Old August 26, 1999, 10:39 PM   #11
HankL

Joe, You are doing your work now. Have fun and enjoy the final product! Shaving every sliver of wood from that stock is always a challenge and a great accomplishment!
Best to you and all others who work in wood!
Hank