The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 24, 2013, 08:28 AM   #1
bjones870

Adams arms piston, what buffer?

I am a little hazy on what buffer to run with a mid-length piston upper. I have a standard buffer, but what would be a benefit of having the heavy buffer in the gun, if any? From what I understand, the H buffer is for short gas systems, to help slow the cyclic rate, due to it's heavier weight. So, since the piston will already have a smoother recoil, will the H buffer just soften it a little more?

To be ready, mentally and physically for what ever scenario arises, provides the best sleep at night I've ever gotten.
Old August 24, 2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Ridgerunner665

Try the H and see how it works....if it doesn't short stroke....run it...but it might vary with different ammo.

Why do you want to change it?

If its running right...leave it alone.

EDITED: I misunderstood the question the first time I read it

Last edited by Ridgerunner665; August 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old August 24, 2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Quentin2

Please elaborate why you think a piston AR has a "smoother recoil" than DI.
Old August 25, 2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Ridgerunner665

Awww...please don't turn this into another piston VS DI argument...can't we just answer the question asked and move on?
Old August 25, 2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
Please elaborate why you think a piston AR has a "smoother recoil" than DI.
I'm curious to hear this as well.

The only reason I can think of that a piston AR would have less felt recoil is because they are usually heavier than DI ARs.
Old August 25, 2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Quentin2

Quote:
Awww...please don't turn this into another piston VS DI argument...can't we just answer the question asked and move on?
Who is doing that?

Anyway, I've tested H buffers in four midlengths. All cycled fine and locked back on the last shot, even with low powered ammo. H2 buffers were close but not 100% reliable in all four.

Of course all were DI gas, front piston will complicate things especially if there's a gas valve to tinker with. The final answer on a heavier buffer will come from the OP testing that particular rifle with all ammo he expects to use. I suspect the H buffer will work for him but only he can verify that. Fortunately the buffer isn't expensive and can be tested during a normal range session so not to waste much ammo.

Last edited by Quentin2; August 25, 2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old August 25, 2013, 09:27 AM   #7
FALPhil

Quote:
I'm curious to hear this as well.
Me too. I have never heard this before.

I run Spikes T3 buffers with a standard military carbine spring in both my 16 inch mid-gas carbines. I never have any problems. There is a noticeable difference in felt recoil between my carbines and a standard M4gery.
Old August 25, 2013, 02:37 PM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

My Hk has a "different" recoil. It is probably a little more or " sharper", it just doesn't have the barrel rise. It is more of a straight back, I guess due to the gas venting working as a brake to stop rising.. The Sig 516 is a little softer than my Hk,DD or RRA, I assumed it was due to the tungsten buffe and heavier weight of the rifle.

A buddy had an M&P15 that you could barely feel any recoil. It had a SOPMOD stock and 12" rail, so I just figured it was weight also. It was the least recoiling AR I have shot.
..." - Thomas Jefferson