The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 16, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1
RevolverOcelot

Colt vs Knights Armament AR15?

I've narrowed my AR15 search down to a Colt or KAC. I have enough money to buy either one, but I want to make sure I'm getting the most reliable, durable, long lasting rifle out of the two.

Colt's been around since the beginning, so wouldn't that mean it's more proven? But KAC is considered the best you can buy, isn't it?

Accuracy is far from my main concern. As long as it hits minute of man.
Old October 17, 2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Kansas Shooter

I currently own rifles from both companies and would have difficulty choosing one over the other. The Colt I have is a 6920, made in 2000, and I've got roughly 3-4K rds. through it. My KAC gun is a taupe SR-15 E3, made in '04 and it's fired 300-400 rds so far. Both have 16" bbls. I have had a couple of feeding issues with my Colt, but they have been related to worn-out gas rings and another carrier issue I just discovered Saturday that I will save for another post so I won't hijack this thread. That said, I'm still a big fan of Colt and would readily buy/build another.

I really like all of the built-in features on Reed Knight's guns and love the ambi controls on the lower since I'm left-handed. The SR-15's are extremely light weight and are softer shooters due to a longer gas system. The Crane/SOPMOD stocks are nice too.

You could always get both and set them up differently (I have a 4X32 ACOG on my Colt and an Eotech 553 on my SR-15), or register one as a SBR, if your state will allow it. I'm going to have to check the SP901 out now that it is on the market. That platform would give you a lower receiver that would accept .308 mags and .223 mags with an adapter. I don't know if any of this helped your decision, but these are my impressions after owning both.

Marty

BTW, I hope you don't have a bad arm, like your namesake had!
Old October 17, 2012, 11:44 AM   #3
buckhorn_cortez

Both are quality firearms - and, if you've looked into KAC, I'm sure you know, Eugene Stoner provided the rifle designs for KAC as he worked for them for a number of years. If it was me - between the two - I go for the KAC, they're not married to the TDP and have some advancements in the overall rifle design.
Old October 17, 2012, 11:45 AM   #4
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I personally would go with the Knights Armament. While I do believe the Colt to be the standard, I think the Knights Armament is an improvement on a standard Colt. It basically comes down, to which you prefer. As I said this only my opinion, and opinions are not fact. Nor do I ever try to impose it as so.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 17, 2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Crow Hunter

Quote:
I personally would go with the Knights Armament. While I do believe the Colt to be the standard, I think the Knights Armament is an improvement on a standard Colt.
I agree.

Colt is the standard but KAC is the "standard +" with improvements that go beyond what Colt offers with the ability to still use Colt spec parts if you can't get KAC parts.

It will cost a pretty penny though.

Good luck.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:36 PM   #6
RT

I would buy the KAC because of the e3 bolt enhancements
Old October 18, 2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Kansas Shooter

Quote:
It will cost a pretty penny though.
For sure. I've seen the new Mod 1's retailing for just under $2,000. I bought mine, which I guess would now be a Mod 0, from a guy on Gunbroker and thought I got a good deal.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:42 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

KAC hands down, full ambi with all the enhancements you know you well add to the 6920.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:34 PM   #9
10mmAuto

The KAC is more rifle, but the value is atrocious.