The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 5, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
brushhippie

Shooting the 51 Navy carbine

Got this rig from East Texas a couple of months ago and I cannot put it down, this thing is so much fun to shoot, you boys gotta have one! worth every dime!
http://youtu.be/OOkrgrBihFU
Old June 5, 2012, 07:21 PM   #2
ClemBert

WOOT! Looks like fun.
Old June 6, 2012, 07:58 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

This is a Pietta Navy Carbine.

The detachable shoulder stock gives you the same feel as a Carbine but there is a difference.

Old June 6, 2012, 09:04 AM   #4
brushhippie

I put it up as 51 with shoulder stock and somebody said that makes it a carbine, didnt feel like arguing....still dont.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
OutlawJoseyWales

I have a question about the use of the shoulder stock.
Is there any history of the shoulder stock being used in the war and how common was it? Don't know why I haven't asked this before, and this might not even be the right place to do so.

Enjoyed the vid, thanks for making it brushhippie.
Thanks,
OJW
Old June 6, 2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Beagle333

Nice video! Thanks for posting. That's the first time I have ever seen one of those in action. It does look like a lot of fun!
Old June 6, 2012, 09:51 AM   #7
brushhippie

The way I understand it they issued some shoulder stocks with the Pattersons to the Texas rangers. He also made shoulder stocks for the 51 and 60 Army Im not sure about use during the war. http://patentpending.blogs.com/paten...houlder_s.html
Old June 6, 2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Ideal Tool

There were some shoulder stocks for the Dragoon models..some were made hollow and contained a canteen..good idea for troopers in the southwest..but there were reports water was not the only liquid refreshment carried in there!
Old June 7, 2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Hardcase

It looks like a kick in the pants, that's for sure! But, man, watch out where that muzzle is pointing...maybe the camera angle was bad, but it sure looked like there were a couple of times where you were just a dropped hammer away from a lobotomy.
Old June 7, 2012, 05:53 PM   #10
toolslinger

Also please keep your finger OUT of the trigger guard unless you are firing the weapon. PLEASE!
Old June 7, 2012, 06:36 PM   #11
brushhippie

Gentlemen I carry these pistols all day every day and Ive yet to shoot myself or anyone else... which would be a neat trick since there's not a soul for miles....but you are right I should practice safety while filming, point taken.
Old June 8, 2012, 07:14 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I have a question about the use of the shoulder stock.
Is there any history of the shoulder stock being used in the war and how common was it?
The Army did do some testing with the Colt Dragoon and shoulder stocks. I believe they took delivery of 100 revolvers in the early 1850's. For a solider it's more kit to carry. It does not increase the range of the revolver although it can increase accuracy at longer range. They were probably not very popular with line troops.

When using a shoulder stock or a revolving carbine you must be aware of off hand placement. Considerable amounts of flame comes from the barrel gap and well burn and even cut through flesh if your hand or arm is in close proximity.
Old June 8, 2012, 11:09 PM   #13
swopjan

didn't realize how substantial the shoulder stock is, gives some nice perspective. might pick one up myself, dunno if my 1860 is cut for a stock, never compared it to another to see.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:25 AM   #14
brushhippie

It will have a small cut out in bottom of the grip frame.....dang camera bettery is dead stand by for photo.....
Old June 13, 2012, 12:15 PM   #15
buckhorn

"51 carbine

Brushhippie, Have you tried any distance shooting? I wonder how that 18" barrel affects the power and accuracy down around 100 yards? It's a cool looking carbine.
Old June 13, 2012, 12:27 PM   #16
buckhorn

'51 carbine

I read that when colt came out with it's revolving cylinder rifles, they were used by'BERDAN'S SHARPSHOOTERS' during the civil war. They were quite accurate. But, the rifleman learned to pull the loading ram down and use it for a front handle. Otherwise, holding it like a regular rifles caused cylinder gap burns on their wrists. Interesting stuff.
Old June 13, 2012, 12:38 PM   #17
brushhippie

Hand placement is important with these as they will burn you,(or remove your fingers in the event of a chainfire) I have shot this at 100 yards (aiming well above it)and hit the target but it was cardboard so Im not sure what kind of pinch it would have out there that far.....I was tickled to death to hit it! Im still amazed how hard they hit at twenty yards and how fast the .36 is.
Old June 13, 2012, 01:44 PM   #18
OutlawJoseyWales

When I was much younger, it was a mystery to me why Civil War troops were not issued the revolving rifles. It just made sense looking at them that soldier would be better armed this way, than the single shot muskets they were issued. Looking at the pictures of them, it looked like a great and simple idea. Just make the revolver into rifles and you could solve a bunch of problems, or so I thought as a kid.

I thought this until I started actually shooting B.P. revolvers. Now, I totally understand why NOT. Just the wrist burns alone would be enough not to have a Colt revolving Rifle, much less the possibility of a chain fire.
And if you tried to solve those problems by closing off the end of the cylinder, then you'd have loaded hand grenade looking for a place to happen.

As usual, when you don't know-well you don't know.
Old June 13, 2012, 03:51 PM   #19
buckhorn

51 carbine

Hitting a 100 yard target with a .36 revolving ANYTHING would make me proud! No wonder you like it so much. Have fun Brushhippie!
Old June 13, 2012, 05:03 PM   #20
brushhippie

Thanks Buck!, like I said I HIGHLY recommend it!
Old June 16, 2012, 03:05 AM   #21
Shotput79

I've seen the pistol befour but this is the first time I ever seen one with that butt stoick on it. That's the best one yet.