The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 1, 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
ak-kev

Loving my 1858

Wow, Im really loving this thing. I shot another 75rds today and it all went perfect. Just as it should have. The lubed wads I made from the info on this site worked perfect as well. Anyway, just wanted to tell you guys how much fun I had. The smoke and boom were just great. Great site, great gun, great fun. Thanks all. Kevin.
Old January 2, 2011, 12:39 PM   #2
sewerman

you bet!

my buddy & I ordered a set each for christmas.

we have been impressed by them.

they will easliy hit a clay skeet disc at 20yds.

they look good too!

our load is 20g FFFG .451 ball. the 15 g load shot low.
will be trying a .454 ball soon some folks say this ball shoots better.
enjoy!

S.M.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old January 2, 2011, 04:04 PM   #3
ak-kev

I'm using .454 balls that I cast myself. CCI #10 caps and Goex FFFG powder. I tried 25grs, and 30grs. Both shot fantastic! I then started chrono'ing the loads. Im already thinking of what will be my next one
Old January 3, 2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Fiv3

As a newbie to BP, I too really have gleaned a lot from these fine folks over the last 7 or months. My main BP shooter is an 1858, and I adore the thing. There is something so satisfying about loading up 6 careful shots, capping them, and watching a 2+ pound hog leg belch fire and smoke without breaking your wrist. The gravy is seeing a nice even .454 hole punched pretty much where you wanted it to go. On top of all that, it only cost you pennies to shoot

My wonderful wife bought me both a ball caster and some pure lead for Christmas this year...she also went ahead and picked me up another 100 balls so I could still shoot a bit while I figure out exactly how to cast these things. I can't find .454 balls locally short of going to Gander Mountain, and they price simple swagged lead balls like they were high tech copper jacketed hollow points And paying shipping on a box of ammo is just silly. I'll start casting in the spring I believe

Now my next decision, do I cave and buy an 1860 for my birthday next month, or do I save my pennies for a Walker for Father's Day
Old January 3, 2011, 09:49 AM   #5
wogpotter

If you're using wads in your loads protect the chronograph with something, those wads can do harm at 10'!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”