The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2010, 05:32 PM   #1
BEEAH

New To Forum & New Reloader!

Hey all, just wanted to say hello and say that I JUST started reloading. I read everything I could about all the different style presses and types and finally decided on the Lee Classic Loader. After struggling to finally find 40 cal bullets to buy I was able to punch out 20 rounds. I found out the hard way that with the Classic set the powder dispenser hits the primer loader unless you buy the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Riser. Not wanting to wait I ended up buying a decent digital scale and measured out my powder manually.

Really looking forward to running up to the range and ripping my 20 off. My main goal is going to be casting my own handgun rounds as that is where the real money savings is at. Looking forward to shooting ALL my stuff more!

See you around.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Locoweed

Welcome to the forum! You'll find all kinds of helpful advice around here.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:56 PM   #3
chris in va

Casting is definitely the way to go, provided you size the 'boolit' to your specific gun and what it slugs at. I had severe accuracy issues with standard 356 boolits in my CZ, discovered that I had to go .003 over slug size for it to work properly.
Old May 29, 2010, 06:01 PM   #4
BigJimP

welcome ... welcome to our addiction....

be safe / and have fun.
Old May 29, 2010, 06:03 PM   #5
DiscoRacing

Welcome..and yes..as previously stated.... casting is fun and saves also.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Jim243

Welcome, you will have fun.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:10 PM   #7
James R. Burke

Welcome it is a great forum, with alot of pro's on it. I learned alot just reading the posts. Have fun reloading you will be able to shoot alot more. Have good manuals, and start at the min. Good luck, and have fun!
Old May 30, 2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Lococop

Welcome

Welcome to the ART of reloading! As a somewhat new reloader myself for six months now and 500 rounds, my only advice is to share your reloading experience with your Dad, son, brother, bestfriend, etc. It makes the time go by faster and quality time more enjoyable.

I also understand if you're a loner wanting some quality time to yourself. It's good stuff. Addicting, but good and very light on your wallet in the end. Have a blast!
Old May 30, 2010, 05:20 PM   #9
BEEAH

Thanks for the welcomes! Right now it has my full attention, everyday. I'm at work right now with my reloading manual sitting here taunting me. Scowering Cabelas and Midwest sites for accessories and gear. Now I just need to find a really good outdoor range as close as possible to me that I can.

Would it be frowned upon to sell ammo? The way I look at it I want to shoot more, I want my friends and family to shoot more. Would you consider selling to someone at work? I think of issues with liability but don't know if I should worry about something like that? Not looking to make profit of any worth but just like the idea of promoting more shooting for people that is generally out of reach due to store bought prices.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:30 PM   #10
BigJimP

If you sell ammo - you have no liability protection ( your homeowners or renters insurance will not provide any coverage or defense if you're sued ) ...so its a really bad idea in my opinion! Coverage is available on a commercial basis / in most states - but its expensive ( easily $ 10K a year ) so it isn't practical - and without at least 5 yrs experience / I doubt you'll be able to buy a policy at any price.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:46 PM   #11
jaguarxk120

To sell any reloads you must have a mfgr's license from the ATF, they take a very dim view of someone operating a reloading shop without the proper paper work.