The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2010, 02:07 PM   #1
farmerboy

My wifes S&W 642/Reloads

My wife recently chose the S&W 642 and shot this group at about 18 to 20 yds using reloads me and my son loaded her for light recoil. The load recipe is: mixed brass, federal small pistol primers,bullseye powder @4.5 gr's, hornady 125 gr XTP's. She loves her gun and I do to. Very accurate with all ammo and it also has the crimson trace lazer grips. Just a proud husband and thought I'd share her grouping with reloads with you guys and gals.

Old May 28, 2010, 03:39 PM   #2

Holy crapola......don't get on your wife's bad side. She might off you with your own reloads.

Seriously, that's cool that you're proud of her and see obviously looks pretty proud of herself. Nicely done.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Jim243

I can see more reloading equipment in your future. And I don't even have a crystal ball. LOL.

Jim
Old May 29, 2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Sevens

If that is anywhere near 15 to 20 yards from a snubbie revolver, that is phenomenal shooting.

If it were my gun, my loads and my shooting, I would run a fresh target out to 15 yards and put a small paper plate at the center of that target and see if I could put two cylinderfuls on to that paper plate.

If I could, then I would try again with a new plate and run it out to 20 yards and if I then got all 10 shots on to that plate, I would write down the date, firearm, load and distance and I'd hang it on the wall near the load bench.

Snubbie revolvers are historically difficult to shoot accurately, especially at any kind of distance. That is a fine group of shooting.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:36 AM   #5
kraigwy

Congrats to your Miss's.

Those little 642s w/CTs are the cat's meow. I use the same set up is my everyday carry piece, only I use push a 150 Grn SWC (Lyman 358477) with 5.4 grns of Unique. Great for SD and small game when I'm camping, on horse back, or what ever.

Again, good shooting, congrats again.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 29, 2010, 10:30 AM   #6
farmerboy

Thanks fellas, and yes it is about that distance and she has only shot about 15 to 20 cylinder full of rounds out of this gun and she can shoot that gun with that kind of accuracy continusally' we got it for her about a month ago. She has shot pistols for about the last 15 years but this is the most accurate snubbie I have ever shot. I am a big fan of Smiths and have about three others in other calibers but all in medium to full lenght handguns. The trigger is pretty hard for me, I told her I'd get a trigger job but she said she likes it just the way it is.

Last edited by farmerboy; May 29, 2010 at 10:52 AM.