The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 25, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
starjammir

Best clay gun

Hey guys,
My mom wants to get my dad a new clay gun for x-mas. He has been talking about the Competition 1100 but I have heard there are better ones out there for around the same price. What would you guys recommend?
Old October 25, 2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Couzin

What kind of clays? Skeet, trap, sporting, just-flinging-birds-out-onna-farm? Will it (the shotgun) be used for game hunting as well? If so, what kind of game - upland, waterfowl, others? If for a specific clays game - how serious a shooter is your dad, once a month, every day, shoot 400 rounds of shells a day, whatever. The choices are huge, as are the $$$s to be spent. You provide some added info and there are a bunch of fellows here on TFL that have tons of experience in those areas and will be glad to recommend something good. Your dad will be pleased - I betcha...

Last edited by Couzin; October 25, 2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old October 25, 2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Wishoot

There are WAY to many choices out there. It also depends on what you're shooting (Sporting Clays, Trap, Skeet).

It's also dependent on your price range. My all-around clay gun choices in 12 gauge would be:

Pump: Remington Wingmaster
Semi: Browning Silver or Winchester Super X-2
O/U: Browning Citori
Old October 25, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4
the rifleer

really its what you like and what fits you best. My mossberg 500 fits me very well and i can shoot 3 clays i throw myself, I'm working on 4. Any shot gun with a long barrel and choke will bust clays well, what matters is which one fits you.
Old October 25, 2009, 11:12 AM   #5
dustball8504

The 1100 Competition is a dream to shoot! My buddy just picked one up and its flat out awesome and fun to handle. Its definitely on my "want to buy" list now!
Old October 25, 2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Wishoot

Quote:
really its what you like and what fits you best. My mossberg 500 fits me very well and i can shoot 3 clays i throw myself, I'm working on 4. Any shot gun with a long barrel and choke will bust clays well, what matters is which one fits you.
Too true... One of the best clay shooters I know carry's around a 12 Gauge Wingmaster with a 22" barrel choked in cylinder. He can hit anything anywhere at anytime with that gun.

Beware the man that shoots only one gun...
Old October 25, 2009, 11:59 AM   #7
starjammir

I guess I should have posted a little more information.
It will NOT be used for hunting just clays. He shoots mostly Trap almost every weekend at the local Sportsmens club, maybe skeet once a year. An Autoloader would be nice has he has a 870 Wingmaster now. My mother would like to stay at around $1500 or less.
Old October 25, 2009, 12:36 PM   #8
JRDANIELS

Does he ever shoot doubles trap? Or just singles? If he shoots only singles than I would look at a Browning BT-99 Trap gun. He will still have his 870 for the once a year skeet round.
Old October 25, 2009, 12:40 PM   #9
starjammir

Singles only too, sorry lol. I usually dont shoot shotguns with him as I suck very bad at it, I just go to the rifle or handgun range.
Old October 25, 2009, 12:53 PM   #10
zippy13

Beyond a basic, utility pump action, I recommend against gifting a new shotgun. There are just too many variables involved. Unless your dad says he wants a certain model and specifies the catalog item number, give him an empty gun box/case with a gift coupon inside. Then he can select the gun that fits his needs.

Quote:
One of the best clay shooters I know carry's around a 12 Gauge Wingmaster with a 22" barrel choked in cylinder. He can hit anything anywhere at anytime with that gun.
We continually hear about guys like this; however, we don't see their names in competition reports.
Old October 25, 2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Wishoot

Quote:
Beyond a basic, utility pump action, I recommend against gifting a new shotgun. There are just too many variables involved. Unless your dad says he wants a certain model and specifies the catalog item number, give him an empty gun box/case with a gift coupon inside. Then he can select the gun that fits his needs.

Quote:
One of the best clay shooters I know carry's around a 12 Gauge Wingmaster with a 22" barrel choked in cylinder. He can hit anything anywhere at anytime with that gun.
We continually hear about guys like this; however, we don't see their names in competition reports.
I shoot clays with him every year. He's never entered into any competition that I'm aware of however.
Old October 25, 2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Couzin

Get the Remington 1100 Competition - take your dad's hint. Get the adjustable comb gun though - he will be extra grateful. It is chambered for 2-3/4" only - but since you say no smacking birds - this will be a fine choice. If he doesn't like the gun after you get it - call me -- I'll adopt you and you can give it to me...
Old October 25, 2009, 02:49 PM   #13
carpshooter

The 1100 is a great choice!

This is the best all around clay buster made in a repeater !
Old October 25, 2009, 06:38 PM   #14
Waterengineer

Right after the Benelli Super Sport. But it is a lot more money.
Old October 25, 2009, 06:45 PM   #15
starjammir

Is the competition one really any better then the regular 1100?
Old October 25, 2009, 06:50 PM   #16
RNB65

My advice: Never buy anyone a shotgun unless you know EXACTLY what they want. Instead, buy a gift certificate at the bet gunstore in town and let him pick his own shotgun. Shotguns are the most personal of all firearms -- they're all about fit, feel, balance, length, handling, looks, operation (OU vs auto vs pump), etc. Way too many variables to make a choice on someone else's behalf.

Last edited by RNB65; October 25, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:03 PM   #17
Waterengineer

The Competition model has 30-inch barrels which are longer than the regular models. I'll speculate he wants the longer sight radius the longer barrels provide.

Also the gas porting of the piston is set up to take advantage of light target (load) shells - meaning it will autoload reliably.

Last edited by Waterengineer; October 25, 2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:20 PM   #18
Jeremiah/Az

Not flaming anyone,but I often see it said to find a gun that fits you. I have never found an off the rack gun that fits me. They can & will be made to fit me,adjustable comb,adjustable Gracoil etc.I shot trap for years with an 1100 trap. Had BT99,Citoris,but always shot the 1100 the best at trap.I put many thousand rounds thru that gun & still have it.Changed a lot of little parts tho!
Old October 26, 2009, 12:42 PM   #19
BigJimP

He has probably already determined the competition model of the 1100 fits him / and it sounds like that is really what he wants.

I wouldn't fuss with it / buy him the 1100 competition model ... with the 30" barrel.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:10 AM   #20
Waterengineer

Links:

I see you are new here, welcome.

Nice first post, but we will ignore it.
Old October 27, 2009, 09:30 AM   #21
Technosavant

Quote:
Is the competition one really any better then the regular 1100?
From what I've read, the internal parts are coated for smoother function, and with the Sporting and Competition variants, the gun is intended to function with lighter loads.

The 1100 Competition looks like a nice gun, but in that price range I'd also look into the 105 CTi II; every bit as soft shooting (if not more so), and dumps the empties at your feet. The only catch is that the 105 is meant for heavier loads; the lightest one recommended is about a 3 dram 1 1/8 oz. load. As soon as mine is broken in, though, I intend to try out a box of 1 oz. loads for kicks.