The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2014, 01:49 PM   #1
JefferS

Odd Grouping on my Target

Got a weird pattern this weekend.

.30-06
IMR-4350, 54.7 gr
Nosler BT, 150 gr
100 yd
It seemed like shots moved from left to right.

What are the theories on my problem?
Limit the theories to ones related to my Sportsman 78, .30-06, or we'll overload the server.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140503.JPG (57.7 KB, 228 views)
Old May 5, 2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Bart B.

I've seen that happen when the (right handed) shooter twists his body clockwise behind the rifle as it rests on something atop a bench. A bit more for each consecutive shot.

Is this repeatable?

If the rifle is fit and screwed together correctly, I think its a shooter position or rifle holding that's not repeatable from shot to shot. Let someone else shoot it then see what happens.
Old May 5, 2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Jim243

The screws are coming loose on your mounts, not the rings but the mounts on the rifle. (most likely the front one) Retighten using some lock-tight.

Jim
Old May 5, 2014, 03:11 PM   #4
eldermike

I have had one scope go bad like that, it drove me nuts for a while. I did a new bed job, cast the chamber, even had the crown cut then somone told me to try a different scope....that was it.
Old May 5, 2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My first thought is, do you actually KNOW that those shots moved right to left consecutively or is it just an assumption?
Old May 5, 2014, 05:25 PM   #6
JefferS

I know the first shot was the left one. I can't guarantee 100% that the rest were moving to the right sequentially, but that was my impression when I finished. I really felt that the last shot was the furthest away from the first because I thought to myself, "Did I pull that much?"

I was really only focusing on getting a group at the time and trying to aim at the X consistently, and wasn't keeping track of the individual shots (lesson learned).
Old May 5, 2014, 06:36 PM   #7
mikld

How many of those horizontal groups did you get?
Old May 5, 2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Without absolute certainty of which shots are which, you'd be better off reading tea leaves.
Old May 5, 2014, 07:28 PM   #9
JefferS

My tea leaves drop right to left.
Old May 5, 2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Jimro

Whether or not the shots impacted in a linear manner is irrelevant to the linear dispersion pattern.

The groups indicate that something is shifting. The two most likely culprits have already been identified, shooter position and optic repeatability.

Tighten the bases, tighten the rings, move your windage knob a turn around, then a turn back to see if the springs have taken a set or replace the scope with a known good unit.

If consistent body position and a new scope don't fix the issue, I would recommend a powder charge change to see what that does, ensuring the barrel is free floated.

Jimro
Old May 5, 2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Of course it's relevant!

If they're not consecutive it could be any number of random reasons. If they are consecutive, it's a single cause (or random chance).

Horizontal groups have causes, horizontal "walking" has other causes. They're not necessarily the same.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:36 PM   #12
Jay24bal

Maybe it is too obvious to even ask, but was it windy? I was also out shooting this past weekend in OH, and we had sustained winds in the 20's with gusts into the mid-high 30's.

If we call the far left a "flyer" or you pulled it, it is not hard to imagine a 2" group in windy conditions like I had here, especially since you were testing loads and this very well could be a bad load for the gun.

I only ask because it was windy as heck here this weekend, and the other four besides the flyer are within 1/2" vertically.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old May 6, 2014, 12:04 AM   #13
BuckRub

Shoot another target and then let us see.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:35 AM   #14
higgite

Was that the first group of the day? The only group of the day? The last group of the day? One odd group among 10 normal groups? You get the picture.
Old May 6, 2014, 08:51 AM   #15
AllenJ

As you can see from all the posts above there are a number of reasons that this can happen. If it were me, prior to my next range trip, I would check that the scope mount and rings are tight, that the action is tight in the stock, and that the barrel is free floating. I would then go to the range and shoot 3, five shot groups on different targets and keep track on each shot. If the shots string again while the barrel is hot, check to see if it is still free floating.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:13 AM   #16
Jimro

Quote:
Horizontal groups have causes, horizontal "walking" has other causes. They're not necessarily the same.
I dismissed walking as a cause by the distance between shots in the group pictured. Not that it couldn't be, just that it isn't likely to be, and if the rifle "walked" this grouping wouldn't be unexpected as walking is generally pretty consistent.

Jimro
Old May 6, 2014, 10:40 AM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If I had to guess from the information we have, I'd say the far left shot is cold, clean bore.

The rest are only a 1.75" group, vertical dispersion suggests decent ammo, horizontal suggests inconsistent hold, eye position, parallax problem.
Old May 6, 2014, 06:28 PM   #18
JefferS

Looks like a lot of awesome advice on some things to check out, so I've got some things to do before I report back.