The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 9, 2013, 10:38 PM   #51
DarcyPotter1

why the high prices

i live in Canada and i load now my boys go into town and in 4 shops no 22lr no 308 of any weight and powder is down and my boy has been waighting on a 110BA in 338lapua for half a year i picked up a new super grade 30-06 the other day and the rifle racks are half empty so why is this ???? im out in the bush off grid have a farm and guide as well as weld . dont wach 5 hours of tv in a year just to busy and no intrest just started messing with the computer 2-3 weeks ago on intrest and no time got busted up bad this fall and spent over 35 days in hospitall my boys 22 year old twins have bean staying at my place to help me so they got me a laptop and have shown me how to use it a bit 51-2 is a funny time to learn but im trying . so why are we all haveing shortages and paying so much winchester told me when i called on a rifle they are doing that they are overran but didnt explain do you guys know . IM out of the loupe by a few decaids lol and does that realy mean laughing out loud , hek im bushed
Old March 13, 2013, 06:40 PM   #52
thump_rrr

For those who tell you that you need top quality equipment to make good ammo I call BS.
I shoot a Savage 10BA in .308.
I use premium components and load it on a Lee single stage using Lee dies.
This is my 100y target. the white dot is 0.7"
That's 3 5 round groups plus a pair.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:15 AM   #53
Ignition Override

If you find a Mosin Nagant (usually an actual Finnish) that you like which has a really good bore/muzzle etc, that could do it.

And if your rifle has good results with currently-available Russian or Bulgy 7.62x54R, after trying similar small sample, buy at least a large case of it from Ammoman, though prices could fall a bit-even for this type of surplus x54R.
You might know that his shipping costs are included.

People never know whether Russian, Bulg, or maybe Czech, Polish, Hungarian ammo shoots straighter in their gun(s).
It's doubtful that any of the last three have been available in bulk over the last two or so years.
A very seasoned friend found that the Czech in the light blue box was the best type for his Dragunov.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 21, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:06 PM   #54
Axelwik

I recently bought a 300 Win Mag for long-range work. With factory ammo between $30 and $50 a box - without reloading I wouldn't have even considered it.

(Along the same lines - Since I don't own a petroleum refinery I surely wouldn't consider an over-sized 4WD truck either.)
Old March 21, 2013, 06:37 PM   #55
Beentown71

Before Newton I was getting AE for $12.99 a box and FGM for $17.99

Miss those days...

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 22, 2013, 09:17 AM   #56
HOGSHOOTER

Its sad when a guy can not take his RIFLES,HANDGUNS, or even his darn 22 Rimfire out to shoot. Because you can`t afford or even find AMMO and RELOADING supplies are harder and harder to get. If you think things are bad now wait til the UN gets done with the ammo and smallarms treaty.Add laws outlawing or limiting internet ammo sales .Ok I`ll get off my soapbox .Except for 22 rimfire and steel case 762x39s I am not to bad off ammo wise and the reason is I reload I bought a lot of MIL.SURPL. POWDER BULLITS AND BRASS along with COM BRASS and my bullits I like to hunt with .You might want to try it but like I said reloading supplies are amost as hard as ammo to get (NOW RELOADING 762X39 CAN`T DO ANYTHING BOUT MY RIMFIRES BUT WAIT).HOGSHOOTER
Old March 24, 2013, 01:01 AM   #57
Ignition Override

The quantities of manufacturing both ammo and reloading components has not been reduced.

Some reasons for the so-called shortage?
It's not just that many people are stocking up for their own use (or family).
Many other people simply buy up/mark up cheap WalMart ammo or whatever bottles/jugs of reloading powder and try to sell it on Gunbroker etc.

What I've noticed is that very little of the high-priced ammo on Armslist near Memphis is selling. The same ammo was there almost two weeks ago, at the same fixed prices.
One of these weeks, months, the high-priced sellers will get anxious and prices will steadily go downhill...If they want to sell it, and many buyers become patient.

A single seller on GB in July '09 listed about 45,000 rds. of Russian 7.62x39. The location was Keene, NH.