The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2002, 10:29 PM   #1
palmtreeguy

hydra-shok question

hello all,
I just recently purchased some new hydra-shok and I seemed to have mixed up two different weight bullets. I have enclosed a picture Is it possible to tell what size they are by looking at the plungers? they definately are different.
thanks for the info
palmtreeguy
Quote:
"One thing about music , when it hits you feel no pain."can't say that about a 124 grain Gold Dot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hydra-shok.jpg (21.5 KB, 96 views)
Old June 26, 2002, 10:35 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Nope, not from that picture. Do you no longer have the boxes they came in? What caliber are they?

A new picture from the side with a ruler in the shot might help.
Old June 26, 2002, 11:09 PM   #3
palmtreeguy

more info

they are 9mm.I have a box but im not sure which came out of it .The gun use to be my dads when he gave it to mehe had some hydra-shok in two mags. I was organising a new range bag when I noticed the difference
Quote:
"One thing about music , when it hits you feel no pain."can't say that about a 124 grain Gold Dot.
Old June 26, 2002, 11:14 PM   #4
palmtreeguy

picture with a ruler

Quote:
"One thing about music , when it hits you feel no pain."can't say that about a 124 grain Gold Dot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hydra-shok 2.jpg (141.4 KB, 70 views)
Old June 26, 2002, 11:24 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Why not pitch 'em on a powder scale?

I'd figure there's the 115, 124 & 147 grain bullet weights - a kinda standard 9mm loading - & just now (slaps head that you didn't mention caliber, so that 9mm ref's off ... )

... anyway, drop 'em on a scale & segregate by total weight. Should sort you right out.
Old June 27, 2002, 02:18 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

Weigh 'em. In both cases, I'd say the one on the left is heavier.
Old June 27, 2002, 04:53 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Well, the picture still leaves a little to be desired - too much glare and you can't see the ruler clearly. But going on what we have and interpolating the relative cavity sizes, I think the left one is a 124 gr. and right one is a 135 gr. (or 147 gr. hard to tell which). But do not depend on this. Weighing them is still the best method. I think the one on the left is lighter due to a lower ogive than that on the right.

OTOH, since they are both factory loads for the correct caliber, why not just shoot them for practice and be done with it? Does it really matter what they are? I doubt that your recoil spring is that touchy that one will work and not the other.
Old June 28, 2002, 07:49 PM   #8
Neil Casper

I think there is a chance that they could be the same weight, just from different eras. If I remember correctly older Hydra-Shoks had a thicker post like the one on the left. Modern day ones are thinner like the one on the right.

Maybe?