The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 3, 2011, 12:08 AM   #1
Ervin

Target sizes?

Allright this has been bugging me for a while now and this article has me re-thinking everything Ive assumed before about the bullseye size (mainly 200-300 yardlines)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_sports
If you click on "Rifle" it lists the size of every ring.
Same target is obviously used for 200-300yds
But I believe the sizes of the rings are +1 inch
Theyre all odd numbers
10 ring should be 6in based on what I was told before, 9 ring being a basic 12in wide.

Can someone please confirm the long range target sizes too?

This is pretty interesting since I was shooting at 12in targets with stricter scoring in the past before getting serious about NRA matches. This only increases my score by 10-15 pts.
http://www.tngbbs.com/rifle/nra/hp/Section4.html
sounds too good to be true, dont want to wrap my mind about this yet
Old January 3, 2011, 09:44 AM   #2
kraigwy

I don't know what you are asking, If I read your post right, you are questioning if the High Power dimensions listed in the link are correct.

They are.

The 200 & 300 yard targets' scoring rings are the same size. For the 300 yard target the "8" ring is black. This was changed in the late 70s to make the "black" the same size, relatively, on your front sight. At the same time they added black to the "7" ring on the 600 yard target. Again making it the same size relative (almost) to your front sight.

When the change came about many said it was do to High Power Shooters getting old, and their eyes were going south. I don't know if that reasoning is true or not, but at the same time they changed the times for the Rapid Fire stages. It use to be, for setting, 50 seconds for gas guns and 60 seconds for bolt guns. For prone rapid it was 60 & 70 seconds respectively. Every thing was changed to 60 & 70 seconds regardless of gun.

Also I believe this was the time the CMP (then DCM) changed the rules for LEG or EIC matches. It use to be that is such matches you couldn't use a ground cloth (mat) in prone and you had to load from the person as oppose to laying the second mag. on the ground.

Anyway, to answer your question, the scoring rings dimensions listed in your link are correct.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 3, 2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Ervin

Thanks for the confirmation.
Its a welcomed relief that my offhand shooting will be 1 inch easier than what I was doing before on 12in targets.
I totally see the reasoning behind making certain rings black as distance increases. In other words its not the size of the black but the size of the 9 and 10 rings we should worry about.