The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2001, 09:22 PM   #1
Fatelvis

Cast bullets in SKS?

Ive used cast bullets with gas checks in a few different "non-autoloading" rifles, and have great luck doing so. (Alot of the time MORE accurate than ball ammo!) However, I`ve always read, not to use cast bullets in a gas operated rifle. Does this rule out my SKS? Will it clog the gas system? Has anyone ever tried it? Any experiences, or knowledge would be appreciated.
Old August 6, 2001, 07:49 AM   #2
Pampers

Clog up an SKS gas system?

I don't think so! A recoil operated semi-auto would, of course, be the best bet for using lead bullets, but an SKS would be a close second. The gas system is HUGE! Any lead build up will be in the first part of the gas chamber. It is so big, and the ports are so large, that clean up shouldn't be a problem. Use reasonably hard alloy, and don't try to "Magnumize" it.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old August 6, 2001, 03:18 PM   #3
dntorbert

try searching the web for "practical dope on the 7.62x39" or something like that....I've got a few pages i printed out few months ago on reloading cast bullets just for the sks...I believe it was by C. E. Harris???
Old August 6, 2001, 03:44 PM   #4
dntorbert

http://www.iea.com/~fgrig/gun/762x39.htm
Old August 6, 2001, 07:13 PM   #5
Cheapo

The Lyman 311313, IIRC, is a nominal 110-gr gas check design, nice and pointy and designed maybe for the .30 Carbine.

I've used that number in the SKS with at least two different powders and had great results. RCBS Rifle Lube and Hornady crimp-on gas checks were part of the recipe.

We lubed 'em without sizing and they shot as (in-?)accurately as the usual jacketed stuff, at speeds up to about 2100 or 2200 fps. They were cast quite but even then weighed almost 120 grains with the gas check and loaded with lube (yeah, lube weight does not count...).

Sized to .309, these same babies shot 2-inch groups all day long out of two M1 Carbines, using both H110 and 296.

I highly recommend these. Don't worry about the gas system. A stiff bronze or soft stainless steel brush will easily take care of any lead melt-off you might experience in the gas system.
Old August 8, 2001, 09:59 PM   #6
Nukem

Yup, Ed Harris had some great lead bullet loads for the SKS. Too bad I never kept a hard copy
Old August 8, 2001, 11:37 PM   #7
Gewehr98

Dang!

Now I HAVE TO find a nice .321" cast bullet for my .32 Remington Model 8. Maybe some of those Beartooth .323" 8mm 170gr gas-checked puppies would work, since the gun is recoil-operated. Decisions, decisions, but I'll bet it's gonna be fun!

Neural Misfires
Old August 9, 2001, 05:02 PM   #8
Fatelvis

Thanks alot guys! Great info, dntorbert.