The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 12, 2009, 03:44 AM   #1
gunsanroses91

people who live in las vegas, is it legal to shoot in the desert

we take the 95 north way past the mt charleston exit to this little canyons that we shoot at.
does anyone know if its legal to shoot out there?
Old February 12, 2009, 09:52 AM   #2
WC145

I don't know how it is now but when I was stationed at Nellis AFB back in the early 80's we'd just drive out to the end of any paved road and start shooting when we hit dirt.
Old February 15, 2009, 05:06 PM   #3
gr8fulgolf

I believe you must be 1000 yards from and roadway or residence, I thought I just read that somewhere on one of the local gunshop websites. I think there's a few outdoor ranges around also, one for sure up in the NW area.
Old February 23, 2009, 11:07 PM   #4
Phantomoak

No.

It used to be OK, but recently (iirc) you can not shoot around Clark County because of the EPA and "dust" on BLM land.

As for non-BLM land in Clark, that is a HUGE no-no.

I live in Reno, and talking to Dick Gammick (the Washoe DA) has given me the information that Washoe and Clark often aggressively pursue shooters in illegal areas (unmarked or marked).

It used to be that you could shoot anywhere in both counties as long as you were out of the way and had a backstop. Now both are too crowded to allow it legally.

However, I still drive off into the wild yonder to throw lead. It is what it is. (and I have a 3rd degree connection to the DA )
Old February 23, 2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Swampghost

Check it out with your local Sheriff's office. Here it varies from county to county.
I got nailed when they changed the law from 'within 500 ft. of a paved road' to 'within 500 ft. of a road'. I had to pay a small fine+court costs, take a day off from work and pay a bar tab for the two buddies that helped me carry my confiscated firearms from the evidence lockup to the truck. It cost me over $400!
At the time I rented a large 3/2 for $360 a month. Take-home pay was $380 every two weeks. Gas was $0.40 and rising. Steak was $1.60 lb.

$400 was a heavy hit at the time and I assume that it's all relative.
Old February 24, 2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Perajio

Find a local gun range and shoot there. Not worth the hassle.

Join The NRA and protect you're rights!
Old March 3, 2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Baba Louie

2 maps to ponder when shooting out in the hinterlands near LV
First is the Clark County no-go map... 24"x36" format

http://gisgate.co.clark.nv.us/gisplo...alfirearms.pdf

They tell you to check w/ the feds for areas not shown so that takes you to this map... 11" x 17" format

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...%2010-4-07.pdf

Print out each and keep folded in your range bag, making darn sure you're not within some agencies boundaries or 1000 ft of a "designated" road... also noting the feds req't of staying on designated routes/roads only in certain "wilderness" areas!?!?! (horseback access or foot traffic is okey dokey in those areas). There's lots of desert out there and lots of trashy shooters, so please, always bring out more trash than you bring in, yada yada.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old March 4, 2009, 02:23 AM   #8
Regular Joe

I am SO surprised that no-one has mentioned Nevada Shooters yet! We got a nice map here:
http://nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=604