The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 12, 2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Eazmo

hunt unit topo maps

Hey guys I'm looking for topo maps by state hunt units ( Arizona )

anyone have a good link were to buy them?
Old August 13, 2011, 12:59 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. Not likely to be by State Hunt units. Top maps aren't made that way.
Go here. http://www.land.state.az.us/maps/paper_maps_usgs.htm
Old August 13, 2011, 08:50 AM   #3
1goodshot

I go to wide world of maps.
Old August 13, 2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Stores which cater to surveyors, architects and engineers commonly have USGS 1:24,000 topo sheets. Try the yellow pages in your phone book. Wolley Segap has lots of good info.

IIRC, the USGS has a website from which you can download and print topo sheets. But, don't quote me on that.
Old August 13, 2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
IIRC, the USGS has a website from which you can download and print topo sheets.
Yep, you can find them here...

http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/

although downloaded maps will cost you eight to fifteen bucks each. They also have high resolution aerial photos of most quads, but they're a little more pricey at around 40-50 bucks. They're well worth it though; if memory serves, they're 40"x40" and have incredibly sharp detail.

Quote:
But, don't quote me on that.
Too late! .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 13, 2011, 02:04 PM   #6
chack

My problem with USGS maps is that they are 1:24,000 scale and I don't have a protracter that will work with them for accurate point plotting
Old August 13, 2011, 06:45 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
My problem with USGS maps is that they are 1:24,000 scale and I don't have a protracter that will work with them for accurate point plotting
Point with the finger.
Plot with the mind.
Old August 13, 2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

1:24,000 = one inch for 2,000 feet or about 2.5 inches to the mile. Easy enough. I designed a bunch of dams/reservoirs and a canal from Texarkana to Lubbock from topo sheets. $9 billion worth of project, in 1968-sized dollars.

Navigated around a fair amount of Texas hunting, but quit worrying after I memorized the areas. Sorta like flying a 172 from Terlingua to Georgia. After a couple of trips, I didn't need Sectionals any longer. Lotsa landmarks.

Oh, about forgot: You can get scales which are set up for all manner of map scales. Again, surveyor supply stores. 1" to 24K, 62.5K, 250K, etc.
Old August 13, 2011, 11:39 PM   #9
chack

they work fine for terrain association and general use, but for precision plotting (geo cache) etc the difference in scale will throw you off.
Old August 14, 2011, 07:12 AM   #10
PawPaw

Amazon has 1:24000 protractors cheap. You can find them almost anywhere map supplies are sold.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 14, 2011, 10:12 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm a hunter, not a geo-cache guy. Last I heard, this is the Hunting forum.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:16 PM   #12
doofus47

another suggestion:

http://www.huntersdomain.com/
Old August 14, 2011, 01:11 PM   #13
HiBC

I assume you are using Military Grid Reference system on a GPS,and have ruled in your 1 k lines from the tics on the margins of standard USGS topos.
If you look at enough Silva Brunton,Suunto,orienteering compasses,I think you will have a 1-24,000 grid on the clear base,or they will include a grid ref card.If all else fails,you can carefully make one.
Old August 14, 2011, 03:15 PM   #14
chack

I think being able to find the location of a camouflaged tree stand, feeder, would have alot in common with being able to find a geo cache marker in the woods somewhere.

I've done plenty of land nav course where you have to be within 10 or 20 meters of a point in order to see it. I've used the USGS maps, and they work fine for most things other than plotting points. being a couple hundred meters off on a plot can throw your azimuth off by quite a bit. I realize that most folks here aren't doing land nav for the sort of applications where that is a concern.
Old August 14, 2011, 05:44 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

I have not tried printing any of these, just downloaded the TIFF to my phone and zoom in on the areas I need for my property. Maps downloads are free.

http://www.usgsquads.com/index.php/m...exes/mapfinder
Old August 15, 2011, 12:06 AM   #16
Gbro

Quote:
I make my own overlay, while not exactly a protractor it works for me very well.
I always use the UTM (eastings)scale on my USGS maps and have my GPS set that way also.
To start with I grid my entire map and then have a 8.5 X 11 transparency gridded the same and put in 3 random grids on the transparency further gridded to 10 meters so that I can align the 2 anywhere on the map to pinpoint, and then what i do is stick a pin through the overlay if need be.
Its large, but I don't fold many maps smaller and I do not think I have ever hunted an area that I don't have to adjoin 2 and even 3 maps
Old August 15, 2011, 01:02 AM   #17
Dr. Strangelove

Google maps has a decent terrain feature if all you want to see is the general topography.

I have a file with all of the Georgia Wildlife Management Areas outlined for Google Earth that comes in pretty handy for just finding areas to hunt.
Old August 15, 2011, 11:02 AM   #18
Eazmo

thanks guys.

doofus47 thats perfect this site linked to mytopo.com which another buddy turned me onto. they have maps by hunt unit number.

Thanks again
Old September 1, 2011, 11:32 PM   #19
SadistAssassin

Try a Gazetteer
Old September 2, 2011, 12:21 AM   #20
brmfan

Try Google Earth

If you know where you will be hunting, you can pull up a satellite pic on Google Earth, and using the ruler function, plot exact ranges from multiple points. Then, if you save each distance reference, you can click on a specific distance line and as you move the mouse cursor from one end of the line to the other it will show a topographic side view on the bottom of the screen that shows the elevation and contour for any point on that line. I made a printout of the area I hunt with each distance line overlayed and marked so I knew my scope settings and the terrain I'd be getting into which helps a great deal when you need to move due to a wind shift, which is exactly how I was able to take a buck last year!

BTW... The distance given by GE is pretty accurate... I confirmed using a Leupold laser rangefinder. You can pre-plan your shooting lanes, and have your bullet drop info already written down before you head into the field. As long as you stick to reference points you have it made!

Last edited by brmfan; September 2, 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old September 2, 2011, 12:50 AM   #21
Eghad

I have a GPS and I use a National Geographic program that I can get these topo maps and load them on the GPS. Once I get back home I can download the points from the GPS on the topo maps and print em out so I have a printed copy and a compass for a backup.

NRA Life Member
Old September 2, 2011, 11:14 PM   #22
doofus47

Quote:
Thanks again
glad to help. Go get one for those of us who can't go this year.