The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 28, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1
garyjackso

Not Enough Elevation on a Weaver Classic

I need to sight in my Weaver Classic 6-24 scope at 600 yards, but it maxxes out at 350 yards. HOW can I get the scope to zero at 600?? Shim the front mount?? Return to Weaver for a modification?
Old February 28, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2
saands

You don't say what caliber you are shooting, but assuming that it is reasonable for the distance, then your issue is probably that the bases are mis-aligned and causing you to use too much of the adjustment in your scope just to zero at 100yds. You can replace your rings with some Burris Z-rings (get the optional assymetrical inserts) and they will allow you to dial in up to ~30MOA of additional elevation with one set of inserts and up to ~40 moa if you really need it and get two sets of inserts.

I should disclose that I know nothing about your scope, but I've never seen a scope that doesn't have 20 MOA of vertical travel ... if this scope just doesn't have any real travel, then you could still use the Z-rings, but you obviously won't be able to tune both 100 and 600 yds.

Hope this helps ...

Saands

ps ... adding shims to the bases is not a really good idea if you have 2-piece bases, mostly because you will end up with the bases being out of alignment and you will stress the scope tube when you force it to comply with the newly misaligned rings/bases.
Old February 28, 2010, 07:51 PM   #3
garyjackso

Weaver Scope Elevation

Thanks !! I will check them out! I have a Ruger VT77 in 308 Win, and I am using it for Class-F 600 yard matches. BUTTTTT, you DO have me thinking here......... I sighted in at 100 yards, and according to Hornady Ballistic Tables, I need to be 17 inches HIGH at 100 yards. Right now, all I can get is 7 inches. SOooooo, it does stand to reason that I should have more clicks upwards. I will reexamine the Ruger Rings.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:40 PM   #4
saands

I don't have one of those rifles, but the thought occurred to me ... is it possible that the bases are on wrong ... front in back and vice-versa? I know on my Mausers, there is a big difference between them, but if, on yours, the difference is only 0.010 or so, then that would just about account for what you are seeing ....

just a thought ...

Saands