The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 26, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
jimmythegeek

I *might* have a problem

my list for Santa is a multi-sheet spreadsheet and I think of all expenses in terms of their firearm-equivalent. For instance, today I was hit with a $70 dentist bill, and thought, "Dang, that's 1/10 of the M1 carbine I want."

I think my problem is I ain't rich.
Old September 26, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Yung.gunr

Yup every expense I think of it being a fraction of my next ...(insert flavor of the month). Then whenever I make a little extra money it is viewed as getting me that much closer to...

I don't see it as a problem. Let's call them goals. That way with each purchase you can say you are good at setting and accomplishing goals.

Yeah, that sounds believable..
Old September 27, 2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Stressfire

I feel your pain, I keep an envelope with what I set aside from each paycheck in my den and it always seems that I end up taking out over half of what I put in every other week.

Kind of a bummer - darn stomach, always needing to be filled. And the nerve of the fiance expecting me to shoulder responsibility for bills and such.

I joke, but I have been saving up for either another pistol, a rifle, or a shotgun for over 2 months...and I have $100 :cry:
Old September 27, 2011, 08:58 AM   #4
meatgrinder42

Yup... life sucks that is one thing you can always expect...like death and taxes.

I was seconds away from buying another rifle and then (here's proof that god doesn't want me to get another gun) I was driving down the road in my old Bronco, hit a bump, the starter got power from some divine short and attacked my flywheel with the voraciousness of a badger on meth... and all I could do at that point was throw my hands to my side, let my head fall back and say 'FML'.
Old September 27, 2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Carry_24/7

Hey, share that spreadsheet...
Old September 28, 2011, 06:45 AM   #6
olddav

It's not money you lack, it's commitment.
Old September 28, 2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Savage32-20

Another symptom

You place an order on your favorite supply website and calculate your time/calendar off of when it should arrive.

Example: Order is scheduled to arrive on the 10th and you know that it's your son's birthday or the following day is your anniversary.

You calculate the days in-between using the tracking number to see how far it has traveled and then make your calculation based on it's location.
Old September 28, 2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Murrdock

I have the same issue sometimes.

Man, I just spent $600 on car repairs? Thats a Ruger SR1911...

It gets really bad when I say, "I could have bought an M1A for that much..."
Old September 28, 2011, 03:34 PM   #9
Don P

Quote:
Another symptom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You place an order on your favorite supply website and calculate your time/calendar off of when it should arrive.

Example: Order is scheduled to arrive on the 10th and you know that it's your son's birthday or the following day is your anniversary.

You calculate the days in-between using the tracking number to see how far it has traveled and then make your calculation based on it's location.
What does this have to do with the OP???
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 28, 2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Savage32-20

Quote:
What does this have to do with the OP???
Because he was converting his bills and such to a "firearm-equivalent" that he might have a problem.

My symptom is based on time for the delivery of materials and such - being I know i'm getting a shipment on the 4th from Cabelas and I know my son's 1st birthday is 6 days after that.

Sorry if i'm confused about what the *problem* is in this thread!
Old September 28, 2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Don P

Quote:
Sorry if i'm confused about what the *problem* is in this thread!
My take is he has a champaign taste with a beer pocket book
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 28, 2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Savage32-20

Quote:
My take is he has a champaign taste with a beer pocket book
I guess it could really go either way depending on how you read the first post.

The comment about "I think my problem is I ain't rich" would certainly lead one to believe that it is the problem.

But the comment on "I think of all expenses in terms of their firearm-equivalent" would lead one to believe he is just thinking too much in terms of firearms. This is the way that I believed it to be and why I made the comment on "time" as being another symptom.

Could be wrong though - have been before and i'm sure i will be again someday!
Old September 29, 2011, 12:42 AM   #13
jimmythegeek

You're both right

I have some serious, adorable expenses that come ahead of building my collection. They're 4, 8, 12, and 14 years old. And a 25 year project with the bank. That's the kind of thing that makes for a beer budget.

And I do think of things like the mortgage in terms of the weaponry or accessories it would buy. Haven't thought as much in terms of time, I'm not organized that way. Stuff shows up when it shows up, birthdays are remembered when they happen, or slightly after....

If I could get everything on the list right now, I'd have more than I could shoot and might not appreciate each item as much. And I'd have to stretch my interests to find anything else to get. I have learned that it's better to want than to have, as long as you get to have once in a while.
Old September 29, 2011, 02:01 AM   #14
jimmythegeek

Per request, here are the spreadsheets

Not sure this will make sense to anyone. It doesn't necessarily make sense to me. If you don't agree with some of it, share your own damn list!

The budget
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1PZEE&hl=en_US

Wishlist and general research that led to the budget
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...RCdVE&hl=en_US

I'm primarily driven to collect, but I enjoy shooting, esp. at an outdoor range. So that's why it's an aesthetics-oriented list. An AK is an amazing implement, but if my dog looked like it, I'd shave its butt and make it walk backwards. An SKS is cheap and hits harder than an M1 carbine, but guess which one I'm asking to the prom? I could get a Mosin-Nagant for under $100, but why? That $100 would feed a gun I like, for a while. I'm thinking about adding a CMP Garand to the list, because I qualified recently thanks to Appleseed. Hadn't really thought about one before the opportunity came up.
Old October 3, 2011, 07:47 PM   #15
4bfox

Get the Garand! You won't be sorry.....