The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 9, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1
salvadore

P-1

Just as a heads up, Royal Tiger Imports LTD. has C&R escellent to unissued P-1 Walthers for for $299 and $350 including holster and cleaning kit. I've owned P-1s and a P-4 they are great shooters and this is by far the best deal I have ever gotten on one.
Old December 9, 2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Drachenstein

Where"s this, I don't see anything on their web site,,,,,,, just P64s
Old December 11, 2010, 03:33 PM   #3
salvadore

They advertise in every third Shotgun News, or so. according to the woman I spoke to I will be shipped one yesterday, or when they get another shipment in two weeks. I'm thinking they sell pretty quickly.
Old December 22, 2010, 11:37 AM   #4
salvadore

Got one yesterday, looks unfired, cute cleaning kit, nice throw away holster. All matching #s on frame barrel and slide.
Old December 22, 2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Drachenstein

I called, the price changed from $299 to $349 as the lady and I talked on the phone,,,, I didn't order one.:barf:
Old December 22, 2010, 07:21 PM   #6
salvadore

Yeppers, I called about the missing extra mag and the rep said price was going up and that most of the guns were already sold to a retailer. The gent I talked to said another mag was on the way and that they went so fast the whole crew was filling orders and he might be getting more calls about stuff missing. Like I said the shooter looks new and does anyone know if a small stampin on slide ( 1-78 ) might be the month and year of manufacture?

I'm like you tho, I hate to pay another $50.00 over the first price quoted.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Drachenstein

It's more like seeing a published sale price and a real selling price. I would understand if the add were old but it's not. Some venues call it bait and switch.
Old December 23, 2010, 01:40 PM   #8
salvadore

To be fair, the first ad I saw in the SGN was about a month ago, and while it may be a switch, I don't think it's a bait and switch. It should also be noted that the new price ad in the current SGN is followed by an ad by another dealer for a hundred more dollars.
Old December 30, 2010, 06:09 AM   #9
gyvel

Sounds like the same ones J&G had a couple of years ago for $269.00 with holster, kit and two mags.
Old December 30, 2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Iron Man

Salvatore,

The 1/78 on the slide is the manufacture date of the slide. These are most likely not unfired guns, but NATO maintenance guns. What I mean by that is in the late 70s through early 80s the guns went to maintenance. Older P38/P1 slides were replaced with what is known as "fat" slides. Many of these guns did not go back into circulation after the maintenance was completed. Sometimes the serial number on the frame, barrel, and slide will be different, other times they will be the same. Depending on the maintenance performed the new slide was sometimes stamped with the last three numbers of the frame serial number.

If these are the weapons I am familiar with, they are Bundeswehr P1s used by the German Border Patrol.

If it was a NATO maintenance pistol it will have either a serial number on the right side of the frame (early maintenance period), a BW or Bw on the left side of the frame (late maintenance period), or sometimes both (middle maintenance period).

If you can still get one for $349.00, do it. They are magnificient firearms.
Old December 30, 2010, 04:02 PM   #11
salvadore

Iron Man
This one has three middle numbers from the frame's serial number on the slide just forward of the safety lever and on the barrel just front of the wedge thingy you have to push up to get the slide barrel assy. back on the frame. It also has a W4.96 stamped on the right side of the frame. It has a bolt thru the frame above and forward of the trigger. If the # on the slide and barrel are the last 3 of the serial number then there is another # behind it that starts with a W, a number, something that looks like a g partially in a circle and BW which I'm told is Bundeswer, or german army....Is that right?

Can you tell me if the slide has different deminsions that other P-1s?

Thanks for the info.
Old December 30, 2010, 04:06 PM   #12
salvadore

One other question, in the cleaning kit there is a plastic plunger thingy about 4" long I have no idea what it is for....Does anyone?
Old December 30, 2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Drachenstein

Aim just released them for $319. 2 mags and holster. I put my order in this evening.