The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 14, 2012, 01:42 AM   #126
tdawg

I'll try taking a picture of my dot tomorrow and post it here to see if it helps you at all.
Old November 14, 2012, 01:49 AM   #127
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Anybody tried a Burris fastfire? I likentje price of those...
The Fastfire is a smaller reflex sight. I have used them on pistols and liked them for that purpose, and as a back-up sight on an AR they are good, I just wouldn't use one as my primary rifle optic (I don't like the small frame and 3 MOA dot as a main optic).

Last edited by allaroundhunter; November 14, 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:02 AM   #128
bulletproof

Thanks, tdawg. I look forward to the pic!

"I don't like the 3 MOA dot as a main optic" allaroundhunter, I had planned on trying to get a 1 MOA, but couldn't find what I wanted.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:07 AM   #129
allaroundhunter

Well, to be honest, for a defensive gun 3 MOA is better than 1 MOA. I just prefer 2 MOA. It just seems to be the best mix of quick acquisition and accuracy at further ranges that I like.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:24 AM   #130
Metal god

although we have different sights . Mine does do someting similar . I would descibe mine more as a sunburst then grapes . If you see more then one dot at all I would say there is a problem . For me I have one small dot that get bigger and more blury as it gets brighter . I will say this when Im outside and the sun is very bright I do not notice the sunburst as much . In low light like inside a house or something I really only need it on 3 max . I just took a couple pictures of my dot on the lowest setting and the highest setting but Im on the wrong computer to upload them . I'll do it in just a minute .

First photo lowest setting next the brightest .The bright photo is not a exact representation of what I see when I look through the sight but its close . It's more sunburst then a glowing halo but sill the same Idea . the camera did something with the dot when I took the picture .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 14, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old November 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #131
bulletproof

Hey Metal, your bright setting is very close to what mine looks like. I've got to determine, if I can, if I should exchange mine for another TRS, or just keep this one. If they're all alike, or if it is just me, then no reason to exchange it. Thanks for the pics!
Old November 14, 2012, 06:33 PM   #132
Metal god

yea Im hoping Tdawg can upload a picture or two of the sight you guys have . That way you will know for sure what's up with yours . This may help . If you wear glasses ( I do ) . It's important to make sure your not looking thruogh them right on the edge by the rim . It can play games with the optic . If I don't have my glasses pushed all the way up and I look through the sight I will see 2 dots . The same basic thing happens to me when I look through any optic really .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 14, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:05 PM   #133
bulletproof

"If you wear glasses" : I just wear reading glasses, and after looking thru the scope without them, I tried a look with glasses on, and that's when I saw the "grapes".
Old November 14, 2012, 10:12 PM   #134
tdawg

Here's as best as I could capture

Both at full power:

Lowest power, from frame of video:

Last edited by tdawg; November 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:28 PM   #135
Metal god

WOW , compared to mine thats a nice dot . Is that an accurate representation of what you see when you look through the optic . If so thats not to bad for $80 .

Old November 14, 2012, 10:49 PM   #136
tdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
WOW , compared to mine thats a nice dot . Is that an accurate representation of what you see when you look through the optic . If so thats not to bad for $80 .
My contact lenses add some flare and such, so when I look through the optic I don't see such a clean dot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old November 14, 2012, 10:56 PM   #137
bulletproof

The full power shots resemble mine, I see a sort of cloud around your dot in photo. I wonder why your dot is not red in the lowest power pic?

But, it's my notion that you can't capture a true replica of the view thru these scopes with a camera. I believe that these modern cameras, with all their enhancements, make the photos look better, maybe than they really do. I could be wrong, don't know for sure.?
But, by the same token, in the first pic in the full power setting, I was able to see the red cloudy halo, surrounding the red dot.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:17 PM   #138
tdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
The full power shots resemble mine, I see a sort of cloud around your dot in photo. I wonder why your dot is not red in the lowest power pic?

But, it's my notion that you can't capture a true replica of the view thru these scopes with a camera. I believe that these modern cameras, with all their enhancements, make the photos look better, maybe than they really do. I could be wrong, don't know for sure.?
But, by the same token, in the first pic in the full power setting, I was able to see the red cloudy halo, surrounding the red dot.
I agree it's likely not possible to capture what our eyes see when looking through these optics.

I would say that it's understandable that a halo would appear at higher brightness settings because of light bleed trying to over brighten a 4 moa dot, but I don't know what a high end optic looks like.

Old November 14, 2012, 11:26 PM   #139
bulletproof

Our TRS's are supposed to be 3MOA dot.

"but I don't know what a high end optic looks like": Nor do I, & never will unless i get to look thru someone else's !

Off hand, I can't think of an instance when I would need the highest power.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:46 PM   #140
tdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
Our TRS's are supposed to be 3MOA dot.

"but I don't know what a high end optic looks like": Nor do I, & never will unless i get to look thru someone else's !

Off hand, I can't think of an instance when I would need the highest power.
I didn't remember what the dot size was spec'd at; I said 4 only because that rang some sort of bell.

I can't picture a time is need highest power; so far I haven't needed anything above 3. If I were outside in daylight then sure.

Old November 15, 2012, 03:37 PM   #141
bulletproof

I got a notification of a PM message, but, nobody's name was on it, so I did not open it. If the sender will re-send it to me again, with your name showing so I'll know it's legitimate, I'll get back to you.

I have no trust in the internet any more, always trying to scam you!
Old November 17, 2012, 07:44 AM   #142
Justice06RR

Quote:
Well, I was thinking that I might have to return my TRS to see if I could maybe get a better lookin dot. After reading all the good reviews on them I was expecting a better looking dot than what I'm seeing now.

Does anybody know if all these TRS dots are similar to what I described or or some more clear than mine? I would like to know before I waste my time returning it & having to wait for another.

The main reason I opted for the red dot instead of the traditional crosshairs scope is my use for it is a defense rifle, close combat, etc. So, in light of that, I guess if all these TRS dots are like mine, & even if I keep do keep it, I'm assuming that it would still serve my purpose.

Hope someone's got some more info?
Hey Bulletproof, I got a chance to look at my roomate's TRS last night. It is pretty much exactly as you stated. The red dot itself resembles some "clustered grapes" at the highest brightness setting, so I don't think there's anything wrong with yours. They probably all come like that.

I would suggest just keeping it and using the lower brightness settings. I think it has 11 brightness settings if I remember correctly? its still a good RDS and very compact, which is what I really like about it. I might end up picking one up myself in the future once my next AR is built. For around $80 its still a good buy. If this was an $800 Aimpoint or Trijicon it would be a different story. But for a fraction of the price for the TRS, you can't go wrong.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:13 PM   #143
bulletproof

Thanks for the update, but, I returned mine yesterday. I was seeing the "grapes" in the lower settings also, and it was disturbing to me. I tried to convince myself for several days that it would probably be ok, but, I finally couldn't take it. Sumpin like that gets on my nerves.

When I went to Amazon site to get the return set up, I pulled up the TRS while there, and, there was a small yellow window there stating that Amazon was not selling them now. It seems that other customers had a problem with the inventory that Amazon was selling. But, some of the other sellers are still selling them now though. So, just go to Amazon & search the TRS & it will pull up one of the sellers with that info.
Old November 17, 2012, 08:02 PM   #144
Warrior1256

I recently bought a Del-Ton 5.56 and I am very pleased with it. On Nov. 6th I purchased two additional 30 rd. mags for it just in case Obama won the election. (Good thing I did).
Old November 17, 2012, 09:00 PM   #145
Nathan

PSA:

PSA is a pretty good retailer with a good web site, good web reputation. They do not answer the phone and can take a day or two to get to email. They have somewhere between damn good and the best prices on most everything.

BUYING THE AR
Glad to see you got the S&W. I have never shot one, but most AR's are pretty similar. Generally, in AR's, it is not about buying the brand, but buying the platform. Colt, Noveske, BCM, LMT and maybe one other are a slight aboration to that rule.

CLEANING
Yes AR's need a good cleaning at some regular round count. You can be an every time guy or go 300 - 500 rounds like I usually do. Clean with a rod topped with a jag and a brush. Use a good bore cleaner like Butches Bore Shine. For lube, find a good one. I prefer Weaponshield CLP. Go with that. Add lube regularly to keep the crud washing off! Last, for cleaning the BCG, a scrapper or carbon cleaner chemical is a must.

OPTIC
All red dots have some flare and or some roughness to the dot/reticle.

To aim with a paralax free red dot, put the dot on the target and pull the trigger. Does not matter where it is in the tube. Place and squeeze. . .it is that easy.

A word about dot sizes. 1 MOA means ~ 1" at 100 yards. . ..25" at 25 yards. Your gun will be roughly 2" at 100 yards accurate. A dot which is 4 - 8 MOA will be good for SD and 0 - 100 yd shooting. . .combat type shooting. a dot 1 - 2 MOA will be good for 50 - 300 yd shooting. ) - 50 is fine too, but just a bit small to be ideal. If you do a magnifier, it will increase the dot size when in use. Not your 4 MOA combat type dot is 12 MOA with a 3 x magnifier. At 300 yards, your dot is covering 36". I hope that was clear.

Then you have EOTech. It is generally a 1 MOA dot in a 65 MOA circle so you can see a big blob when shooting fast at 0 - 25 yds and a fairly precise dot for hooking up at 1, 2, 300 yards.

Normal scopes in a 1 - 4x are great too, but cannot be "cowitnessed" I'll let you search cowitness to get more on that.

The last idea catching speed is the 3x or 4x scope with a rail on it and a teeny tiny JP or Vortex dot sight for quick shooting. Good idea, if you ask me! It is precision and a BUIs all in one. On a QR rail, you can dump it for irons quick also.

UTG. . .Simply stated, you have $600 - $1000 in an AR. Don't ruin your experience with a $58 optic. You might pencil in an optic budget of like $300 - $1000. Maybe narrow to $500 or less if on a budget. Still, optics often decide what you can do with a rifle. Don't be defined by a $57 chinese crap scope. GLAD YOU SPARED YOURSELF THIS MISERY!

Cheap $40 - $80 red dots work, but are not going to give a lifetime of enjoyment. Mine have worked for a while on my 12 ga, crossbow, etc. . .

I like your Bushnell TRS25 choice. Looks like a keeper. If the cloud is even all around, that is about all you can expect IMO. Did it cowitness?

Do you have an FSB?

Yep, an AR is spendy. . .

MAGS
Mags. . .Simply put. Magpul or D&H are the names right now. A 10 pack of each can be had for around $100 when the stars align. I use D&H, but Magpuls are said to be better and don't dent per say.

CHEAP AMMO
Steel case had better run through your gun! Yes, most cheap ammo runs fine, but sometimes it is so weak it won't cycle. This is a rare occurance, but other steel case should run fine. That is because it is crap, not steel case!

IMO, reloading is the key to good cheap ammo. Buying in bulk is good too.

PM me if you want to chat or have a question about this post.

Last edited by Nathan; November 17, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:06 AM   #146
bulletproof

Just want to wish all ya'll a wonderful & Blessed Thanksgiving!
Old November 21, 2012, 03:49 AM   #147
Metal god

Thanks man , right back atcha. I got 17 people comming over Thur . I'm cooking 2 turkeys 1 ham and smoking a salmon .

Have you shot your M&P or got the new sight yet ?

Old November 21, 2012, 12:06 PM   #148
bulletproof

I'm smoking a salmon: How do you keep it lit? A little humor!

Have you shot your M&P or got the new sight yet ?: No not yet. You wouldn't believe all the problems I'm having all at the same time!
Old November 21, 2012, 12:42 PM   #149
Metal god

I'm sorry to here your not doing well . Getting out and shooting always brightens up my day . I hope you can do that soon .

As for the salmon a big water pipe and torch seems to work . Last year I tried snorting coke but the ice cubes kept getting stuck in the straw .

Be well my friend

Old November 23, 2012, 01:26 AM   #150
bulletproof

Anybody ever use these magazines from PSA? They should fit my S&W M&P 15 won't they?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...e-10-pack.html

A PMag from Magpul came supplied with my rifle, I'm having a hard time trying to determine which ones will fit my rifle? You'd think there would be some identifying code on them or am I overlooking it?