The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2014, 10:30 PM   #1
bricz75

Bullet casting in an apartment

Can a person cast their own bullets if they live in an apartment?
Old December 8, 2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Blindstitch

I haven't done it but i'm thinking no unless you have a place outside or on the roof to do it. Pretty sure it smokes at times.
Old December 8, 2014, 10:38 PM   #3
chris in va

My pot doesn't smoke when I cast, but it does put out some fumes that need to be evacuated with a fan. I do it in my garage near the door.

Probably not a good idea to do it in a dwelling. You also have to deal with lead 'spray' drops within a 5' radius, at least in my case. God forbid you get a Tinsel Fairy event in a small carpeted room.
Old December 8, 2014, 10:42 PM   #4
Marco Califo

No.
Let me be more clear:
Hell No!!!
You will get a 3 day notice to vacate.
This applies to reloading, too.
And especially to casting.
Lead is toxic, and powders and ammunition are extremely flammable.
Your landlord"s first call will be to the police and or fire, and they will come knocking.
Been there, done that.
Old December 8, 2014, 11:55 PM   #5
mehavey

In a word, "NO".

You need to be in an outside space like the in the open doorway of
a garage at a minimum, and in/on a open air deck/patio if possible.
Old December 9, 2014, 12:46 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

You would need some sort of exhaust hood.. Not so much for the fallacy of instant death, and dismemberment from the lead fumes, but because of the smoke, and odor when you flux the alloy making it useful for bullets.
I have been casting lead bullets for over 40 years, and making lead fishing jigs, and weights before that. I also used to use "white lead" thread compound on threaded conduit years ago. I suffer no health problems that can be related to the use of lead products. Check, I wish I had a dollar for every split shot I "bit" on a fishing line in my over 60 years of fishing.
But with a do-gooder, ecofreak, probably anti-gun neighbor there would probably be complaints.
Quote:
1. Melt lead in a well ventilated area and exhaust fumes to the outside. Air movement that is sufficient to carry away the wisp of smoke from an extinguished match is generally considered sufficient ventilation. Lead melts at 621 degrees (F). When lead is molten, it releases minute amounts of vapors at a progressive rate as temperatures are increased. Harmful levels of lead vaporization are believed to occur at elevated temperatures above 1800 degrees (F). Only lower temperatures between 700-800 degrees are normally needed to cast lead hobby parts. Most melting equipment sold to hobbyists will not raise temperatures much above 900 degrees. Minimize vaporization by operating melters at the lowest temperature that gives good results
You will never even reach half the temperature needed to produce harmful levels of lead vapor. I try to cast at about 700 degrees (f).

Last edited by Cheapshooter; December 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old December 9, 2014, 12:57 AM   #7
Marco Califo

Quote:
I suffer no health problems
It is not about your health.

It is about property that you do not own,
and what the owner will allow you, as a tenant, to do there.

They do not like it at all, and will accuse you of contaminating the property.

I own rental properties now, so I see this from both sides.
My short list of no-no's is illegal activity and contaminating or otherwise impacting my rental income or expenses.
Old December 9, 2014, 01:00 AM   #8
DaleA

Not trying to stir things up Marco but do you allow reloading WITHOUT casting in your properties?
Old December 9, 2014, 01:07 AM   #9
Marco Califo

I think I would, but none of my tenants do. I do know most of my tenants own guns (and dogs) in their rough area.
But casting lead or any other metal at a residential property?
NO WAY
Old December 9, 2014, 06:18 AM   #10
hartcreek

It can be done with proper exhaust equipment. And someone like Marco is opening themselves to a lawsuit under the landlord tenant act because casting properly puts out less fumes then most families or individuals making burretos.
Old December 9, 2014, 07:33 AM   #11
skizzums

I am far from a safety Nazi, but I have to agree that's not a good idea. The fumes will smell terrible and permeate all your furniture/carpet, although lead doesn't vaporize so it won't be poisoning, it will just stink. Little lead splashes always happen and will burn holes everywhere and you have the possibility of a major spill and burning you and your neighbors houses down. If you are on the first floor and have a back porch, I doubt anyone would know what you were doing....or even care. But indoors....nah

If you do, you have to start with clean purchase lead, you can't be melting wheelweiights down, way too stinky.
Old December 9, 2014, 11:05 AM   #12
bricz75

Thanks, fellas.
Old December 10, 2014, 08:47 AM   #13
Shootest

First I would look for a buddy that would let me cast in his garage or patio, if not next I would look into a garage storage space with AC power. If I had to I would buy a house, but I will not stop casting ever.
Old December 10, 2014, 09:14 AM   #14
jdscholer

Heck, around here people cook meth in apartments all the time. Casting bullets wouldn't even rate a second look.

I've learned at least one thing from this thread; I'd take a long walk off a short pier, before I'd live in an apartment in Losangeleeze.. jd
Old December 10, 2014, 09:34 AM   #15
jmorris

Quote:
But casting lead or any other metal at a residential property?
NO WAY
I have cast with several different metals at home but I own it too.
Old December 10, 2014, 09:36 AM   #16
Marco Califo

Obviously, they are not your tenants, making meth. in a residential unit, that YOU own.
Mine are houses, and they are not in LA. I still don't want my tenants casting metals in housing I will need to rent to someone else with small children.
Old December 10, 2014, 10:17 AM   #17
mdmtj

Quote:
someone like Marco is opening themselves to a lawsuit under the landlord tenant act because casting properly puts out less fumes then most families or individuals making burretos.
That's nonsense. How do you fell about the tenant welding in the living room, rebuilding engines in the kitchen, ...?

The property owner has every right to limit activities that are permitted on his property. You really can't make a valid argument that casting lead in a rented residential property is a "normal" household activity and has to be permitted in the living areas of the property by the landlord. Outside? In a garage? Now we are moving into a completely different situation.
Old December 10, 2014, 12:25 PM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by bricz75;

They can, but the mere fact that you posted this basic question tells me you should not. It tells me you have not researched the dangers and risks of fumes and fire from the process, nor have you inquired from your landlord if he/she allows it.
Old December 10, 2014, 12:32 PM   #19
mikld

Wow, some folks would have you believe melting lead is a Level 1, Condition Red, life threatening major hazard! You, your children, and your children's children will die a slow, painful, mind bending death.

Use common sense and you'll be fine (don't stand over the pot doing deep breathing exercises, use a moderate amount of ventilation, don't use kitchen utensils). I would use the kitchen stove as a good place to make bullets; easy to clean up, and if you want to the range hood will remove smoke/fumes (lead does not vaporize at normal bullet casting temps.) Wash up the area with a normal kitchen cleaner, wash your hands, and use normal fish frying ventilation. I cast fishing weights and jigs on Ma's stove for many years...

Use yer head and don't be a Chicken Little.
Old December 10, 2014, 03:00 PM   #20
buck460XVR

Quote:
I would use the kitchen stove as a good place to make bullets; easy to clean up, and if you want to the range hood will remove smoke/fumes (lead does not vaporize at normal bullet casting temps.) Wash up the area with a normal kitchen cleaner, wash your hands, and use normal fish frying ventilation. I cast fishing weights and jigs on Ma's stove for many years...

Most anywhere you go, the first warning you get from experts is not to cast lead anywhere food may be prepared, handled or stored. This is not a Chicken Little thing, but common sense. If the OP knows that little about casting bullets at home, the last thing one should tell him is to go to the kitchen and start cookin' lead on Ma's stove. One should inform him of the hazards of doing that first and any other precautions he may need. This in addition to having the blessing of his landlord.

Casting at Home
Old December 10, 2014, 03:08 PM   #21
polyphemus

This from the OSHA website:
Quote:
Any operation in which battery plates, lead scrap, or oxide is handled may be a significant source of lead exposure. Airborne dispersion of lead dust (which settles on equipment, floors and other surfaces) via cross-drafts, pedestrian and vehicular traffic, and dry sweeping, may be an additional source of lead exposure.

If the dross that forms on top of lead pots is handled carelessly, lead exposure can result. Lead particles can also become airborne via attachment to acid or water mists. Lead fumes from lead pots, torching, burning, or other operations where a flame contacts lead, or lead is heated above the melting point, may also be sources of lead exposure.
Lead handling has been shown to be hazardous.Encouraging others to do it is
irresponsible.
Old December 10, 2014, 03:13 PM   #22
mehavey

Quote:
kitchen stove as a good place to make bullets...
No.
Been there.
Done that.
Think young & stupid.

Don't even consider it except in an area thoroughly outside,
and absolutely nowhere inside a "people'd" dwelling
Old December 10, 2014, 06:42 PM   #23
bricz75

Quote:
Originally posted by bricz75;

Quote:
They can, but the mere fact that you posted this basic question tells me you should not. It tells me you have not researched the dangers and risks of fumes and fire from the process, nor have you inquired from your landlord if he/she allows it.

Correct. I was wondering if it was even worth learning about.
Old December 10, 2014, 08:16 PM   #24
Chaz88

I hesitate to join another lead toxicity discussion but I will.

1. I think everyone should take whatever precautions they think necessary and respect the property rights of others.

2. Based only on my experience, I believe the danger is way over hyped. I have poured lead inside for around 35 years. For about 20 years of that time I was on monitoring programs for just about every heavy metal you can think of. I have never had elevated lead levels.

3. OSHA is generaly a good thing, even though they can be a pain at times, but they also go way over the top at times. The first MSDS I ever read for using Windex called for a chemical apron, arm length chemical gloves, a respirator, and a full splash guard face shield. Over the top? I think so.
Old December 10, 2014, 08:33 PM   #25
polyphemus

Quote:
At levels above 80 µg/dL, serious, permanent health damage may occur (extremely dangerous).
Between 40 and 80 µg/dL, serious health damage may be occuring, even if there are no symptoms (seriously elevated).
Between 25 and 40 µg/dL, regular exposure is occuring. There is some evidence of potential physiologic problems (elevated).
Between 10 and 25 µg/dL, lead is building up in the body and some exposure is occuring.
The typical level for U.S. adults is less than 10 µg/dL (mean = 3 µg/dL)
So,What have you got?