The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 12, 2014, 08:36 AM   #1
chapmac

WWII Handguns: FN HP 9mm, 13rd Magazines

For those who have dealt with this particular WWII [1943 serial#] handgun, is it still possible to get a quality replacement 13rd magazine?
r
Chuck
Old August 12, 2014, 09:05 AM   #2
WVsig

Do you want a WWII era mag or just one that works ?
Old August 12, 2014, 09:56 AM   #3
jonnyc

A good condition WWII mag will run you $150-200, but brand new factory mags are available for about $30. You can dig a bit and find good used BHP mags for $15 and up.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:26 AM   #4
AK103K

The only HP mags Ive had issues with in "all" the various HP's Ive had over the years, were the mags that came with a couple of Argentinian "FM's". The mags worked fine in those guns, but would not properly seat in the others.

I always just assumed the FM's had a slightly more generous mag well, and the mags that came with them, were sized to it. All other standard HP mags worked in the FM's though.

Other than that, Ive used a bunch of different commercial and surplus mags in all of them, and never had an issue.
Old August 12, 2014, 03:55 PM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
The only HP mags Ive had issues with in "all" the various HP's Ive had over the years, were the mags that came with a couple of Argentinian "FM's". The mags worked fine in those guns, but would not properly seat in the others.
Were those the "Made in Argentina" aftermarkets?
SIFE
Old August 12, 2014, 04:00 PM   #6
AK103K

No, the factory mags that came with the guns.

ETA: Uh, wait, the guns or the mags?
Old August 12, 2014, 04:06 PM   #7
WVsig

"FM" are clones... and I am not sure whose mags they used.

If you just need a functional mag CDNN has factory mags at a good price but I personally would buy Mecgars which are excellent and IIRC the OEM manufacturer. You can get 13 or 15 round Mecgars. OEM Browning/FN only come in 13.

Should run you about $25 a mag OTD.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:29 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

1943 serial# makes it Belgian made. It have the Nazi eagles? Inglis BHPs were only made in 1944 and 45. Any BHP mag will fit.
Old August 13, 2014, 01:50 PM   #9
gyvel

Quote:
ETA: Uh, wait, the guns or the mags?
The mags. CDNN was selling Argies a few years back with Argentine made 15 rounders (I think; Possibly they were 17 rds.) instead of the standard 13 round FN types. I haven't heard much good about the Argentine "aftermarkets" (supposedly an Argentine Army contract). I'm thinking that maybe this is what you have with your gun, no?

I have two FM Hi-Powers and they both accept standard 13 rd. FN mags with no problems, and their mags will fit in any of my other Hi-Powers, if need be.

WVsig, the FMs (at least the original ones) were actually licensed by FN for manufacture in Argentina. I realize this is probably splitting hairs, but I would label a FEG (for example) as a "clone" and the FM as a "licensed copy."
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; August 13, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old August 13, 2014, 01:52 PM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
If you just need a functional mag CDNN has factory mags at a good price but I personally would buy Mecgars which are excellent and IIRC the OEM manufacturer.
A big +1 on this suggestion. If you can't find an "original" FN, MecGar is the only way to go. If only the Italians could build their cars this well.
SIFE
Old August 13, 2014, 04:32 PM   #11
AK103K

Quote:
I'm thinking that maybe this is what you have with your gun, no?
I dont think so, they were the factory mags in the box when I bought the guns, which were new when I bought them. For some reason, they didnt want to go in my other HP's, but worked fine in the FM's. All the others worked in the FM's fine as well.
Old August 13, 2014, 04:47 PM   #12
WVsig

Quote:
WVsig, the FMs (at least the original ones) were actually licensed by FN for manufacture in Argentina. I realize this is probably splitting hairs, but I would label a FEG (for example) as a "clone" and the FM as a "licensed copy."
The older military are licensed copies... They had a contract to produce a certain amount under lic but continued to manufacture them long after that.

Most of the FMs you see in this country fall into the clone category because they were made for the commerical market long after the contract with FN had ended. I completely understand where you are coming from.
Old August 14, 2014, 02:03 PM   #13
gyvel

Quote:
The older military are licensed copies... They had a contract to produce a certain amount under lic but continued to manufacture them long after that.
Yes, you're exactly right. The later guns have physical cosmetic changes. My FMs are original Argentine military guns that were sold here as surplus in the last 30 years or so.
SIFE
Old August 15, 2014, 05:43 PM   #14
chapmac

Thanks ALL for the feedback!

I want to thank all you for posting your feedback which was very helpful. I have two mags that were used in this gun in WWII. Looking for new mags that will work. It is a 1943 (early serial # for that year), yes Belgium, with all the NAZI and Inspection markings. It looks better than most I've seen on line. Even the holster is in great condition - also marked. Thanks again. Chuck
Old August 15, 2014, 07:37 PM   #15
gyvel

Sounds like you stumbled on a pretty nice rig there.

As most of the posters have stated, any FN magazine will work, as well as a MecGar. Check on eBay; Always plenty for sale there. Just be a little patient and look for a good price.
SIFE
Old August 16, 2014, 05:10 PM   #16
WVsig

Quote:
I want to thank all you for posting your feedback which was very helpful. I have two mags that were used in this gun in WWII. Looking for new mags that will work. It is a 1943 (early serial # for that year), yes Belgium, with all the NAZI and Inspection markings. It looks better than most I've seen on line. Even the holster is in great condition - also marked. Thanks again. Chuck
If you are going to be shooting the gun then I advise you to get a replacement internal extractor. If you shoot it enough it will not be a matter of if but of when it will break. They cost over $80+ these days used.
Old August 16, 2014, 06:43 PM   #17
gyvel

Quote:
If you are going to be shooting the gun then I advise you to get a replacement internal extractor. If you shoot it enough it will not be a matter of if but of when it will break. They cost over $80+ these days used.
Someone else was recently on TFL looking for an original extractor, but couldn't find one. I did a check on all my sources (other than the mainstream obvious ones) and found exactly one company that had them for $89.95. I posted the link to the poster, and, by the time he went to order it, it has been sold. At the time I found it, it was still in stock. After the poster told me what happened, I went back to look at it and, sho 'nuff, it was "out of stock." Talk about rotten timing and bad luck.

At any rate, read and heed WVsig's advice. IF you do eventually find one, buy it, no matter what the cost, if you intend to shoot that gun. As some old time TV commercial used to say: "You'll be glad you did."

Edit: Even better yet, either buy a newly produced Hi-Power, or buy a serviceable external extractor upper off of eBay etc., and use it when you want to shoot the gun.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; August 16, 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old August 17, 2014, 02:20 AM   #18
volkstrm

I have one of the Argentine Hi-powers from FM. Great gun I have like 200-250 rounds in it. Does anyone know what it may go for? I put HI-power wood grips on it & have like 6+ mag's also. Thanks.
Old August 17, 2014, 05:49 AM   #19
Brit

The BHP I had, purchased in Manchester, UK, a gun shop on Withy Grove?
In 1960.

That in it's self is a long story.

It was stolen from a house break in, long time ago, it was in a safe, in Canada.

So if you come across a Blued BHP, with a Serial number of 78079. It is a stolen pistol.