The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2011, 01:34 AM   #1
Elkins45

460 Rowland and Wild West Guns?

I guess I'm out of the loop but I just discovered the 460 Rowland cartridge and conversion kits. I see that a 1911 kit can be ordered from Clark directly, but I read in a couple of places that a company called Wild West Guns was also making kits for the M&P and XD. I think I would rather convert a polymer gun than a 1911, since the 1911 kit requires adding 2" of compensator to an already big gun.

I Googled and found a company called Wild West Guns but couldn't find a mention of the Rowland anywhere on their website. Does anybody know anything about Wild West Guns and their conversion kits? Did they stop making them and that's why they aren't mentioned?

I don't own either an M&P or an XD but I might pick one up for a conversion, assuming the conversion kits even exist anymore. Any suggestions on which is the better gun?
Old January 2, 2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Wildalaska

Yes we still make them

WildbutimoffdutyyoucancallmenextweekAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old January 3, 2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Elkins45

Since you said "we" I assume you work for Wild West Guns?
Old January 3, 2011, 06:50 PM   #4
swsurgeon

He da man!

If you can't make Anchorage, I've met him at SHOT in Vegas.
Old January 3, 2011, 07:50 PM   #5
WVsig

If you ask Ken he "IS" Wild West guns... LOL

WildmanabouttownAlaska
Old January 4, 2011, 12:14 AM   #6
Wildalaska

Quote:

Yep but its night and Im off duty

WildsotakeashotawhiskeyandcallmeinthemawninAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old January 4, 2011, 03:19 AM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Wildalaska translation: "we" meaning Ken, Wildalaska, Hello Kitty concealed carry showercap man, Fabio in his heart and mind, and the list goes on and on... alsomanwhoforgetsspacebarattheendofhisposts

I have seen the conversions at WWGs, nicely done. They have done other smith work for me, and I have been very pleased.

PS And exactly what do you mean by "work"?
Old January 4, 2011, 12:10 PM   #8
GONIF

SINCE THE 460 ROWLAND IS ONLY 1/16 LONGER THAN A 45ACP ,some folks ream the chamber and use a heavy reciol spring . I have a SA&W M&P that was done that way ,and it works fine . I also have a Springfield 1911 with the Clark Kit . I think if you reload it is great ,but if you don't ammo is expensive . Rowland makes a barrel for the M&P and may also make one for a XD. The Clark with the brake is not too bad on recoil ,the M&P is about like shooting a full power 10mm . If you keep your OAL to spec the factory 45acp mags work great . Starline makes the brass ,and it has been holding up well for me . Wildalaska has a good rep ,I'm sure he has it all sorted out ,and can deliver a reliable conversion .

Last edited by GONIF; January 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old January 4, 2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Evyl Robot

I'm going to have to get the M&P kit. Will it work on the 'compact' (which actually isn't)? I wouldn't 'do the conversion' and leave it that way. I'm more likely to leave a couple loaded AND WELL-MARKED mags in my gun case with the Rowland barrel and rod. That way when I get to the farm and it's time to switch between social ammo and wild ammo, I'll just swap stuff around and keep on going.
Old January 4, 2011, 12:42 PM   #10
GONIF

Don't know about the M&P compact ,mine is still 45acp with a Apex DECAK kit .For CCW 45acp is enough .I reamed the chamber in my full sized M&P with a 45acp chamber reamer my self and used a 22 # recoil spring ,worked for me .
Old January 4, 2011, 01:31 PM   #11
goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
Will it work on the 'compact'
I wouldn't shoot full power 45Super out of a compact, let alone Johnny Rowlands monster ctg. Nope nope. And even in a full size bbl I would HIGHLY recommend Magna-Porting or Hybrid-Comping or such in order to help the pressure drop before unlocking.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 4, 2011, 02:10 PM   #12
GONIF

I have shot over 200 rounds through my S&W M&P conversion (reamed chamber/22 # recoil spring )with full power 460 230 grain hand loads and it has functioned flawlessly .The recoil is not bad at all ,as I said it is just like shooting 200 grain 1300 fps ammo out of my 10mm S&W 1006 . Magnaporting would certanly help ,but it is not that bad as is . I would not hesitate to have Wildalaska do the conversion or ream it yourself (if you have the ream and the skill ) mine has had NO problems . YMMV,and I do not advocate reaming your barrel unless you know what your doing . The Ream cost me $60.00 and I was willing to take the chance .