The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 27, 2010, 05:10 AM   #1
therealdeal

in-the-pocket holster VS. on-the-hip or outside the pocket holster

hey I just figured I'd see where the opinions lie from the guys who have been carrying for years(or months). I only have an in-the-pocket holster @ this time, so maybe I am just preparing myself for another holster sometime(I currently CCW my Taurus CIA650 .357 magnum revolver). I like my uncle mikes in-the-pocket holster but in-the-pocket I have always thought as for smaller CCW firearms. It would be nice to have other avenues sometimes and/or your thoughts on the different kinds most popular might help me and others. I would like to holster up my ruger gp100 .357 someday for concealed carry as one example(it is a 6"barrel and its got a great feel to it).

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)

Last edited by therealdeal; September 27, 2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old September 27, 2010, 05:24 AM   #2
CDW4ME

For me, pocket holsters and pistols are 38 snub airweight, Kahr PM9, Ruger LCP / P3AT 380.
Those were listed in order of most cumbersome & bulky down to easy to carry, forget it's there.
Old September 27, 2010, 05:36 AM   #3
MLeake

Pros and cons:

Pocket holster, pro:
- can access weapon by putting hand in pocket, so preparation for action doesn't look like threatening/brandishing;
- works with hiking shorts and tank tops;

Pocket holster, con:
- can make it a challenge to figure out where to put car keys, pocket knife, and wallet;
- hard to access from seated position;
- must must must remember not to put anything in pocket that might get into holster and catch on trigger (IE do not put anything else in that pocket)
- doesn't work well with anything larger than a J-Frame for most people;
- only works with relatively roomy pockets (IE not Levi's 501's)

I have a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for my PM9, and it tends to get used when I'm in super casual mode (shorts and tank or t-shirt). Otherwise, I prefer IWB for most purposes, and OWB for great outdoors/open carry use.

IWB, pro:
- can conceal anything up to and including a 4" .44mag (I do every so often)
- pants and belt both help hold the holster in position;
- tends to snug the pistol grip tighter into the body than does an OWB rig;
- can be adjusted for reliable access from seated position, including in car

IWB, con:
- may need to get pants one waist size bigger, depending on how much slack you have now;
- if you don't wear an undershirt, you will have pistol up against your skin (even with a bodyshield on the holster, some parts will probably rub);
- pistol is exposed to more of your perspiration, which may accelerate corrosion;
- outer cover garment (shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, etc) required for full concealment
Old September 27, 2010, 06:38 AM   #4
Dwight55

Pocket holsters are wonderful if you have a pocket sized firearm. Your GP100 would not qualify under most pocket dimensions, . . . but a good IWB holster will do you right.

Personally, I push IWB more than OWB, simply becase it is far easier for your firearm to be inadvertantly revealed in the OWB, . . . AND, . . . some IWB holsters can be worn with a tucked in shirt tail, . . . and no cover garment.

While I have never stood and "timed" myself against anyone else, . . . I believe I can have my full size 1911 out and on target from my tucked in position, . . . every bit as fast as most other folks can have their little 5 shot .38 out of their britches pocket and on target.

My IWB rides low to the belt, at about 3:15, a slight forward cant, and is comfortable for a 24/7 wear. BUT, . . . that is only if it is being worn with a suitable belt. A sloppy, floppy belt makes it some kind of uncomfortable, . . . all the time fidgeting and readjusting it.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 27, 2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I would like to holster up my ruger gp100 .357 someday for concealed carry as one example.
Pocket holsters work pretty well for small, pocket sized guns. My Ruger LCP or, and I can pull this off but others can, a snub nose are good examples of pocket carry.

Your GP is likely a gun that would work best OWB. You didn't mention barrel length, but with the cylinder width and barrel, it might be a tad uncomfortable carrying IWB. Unless you've got big pockets, pocket carry is out.

Carrying a large frame revolver can be done, but you'll have to dress around the gun. Secondly, you'll need a good holster. I prefer leather. Finally, and above all else, you'll need a good gun belt. A regular belt won't support the weight of the gun.
Old September 27, 2010, 08:17 AM   #6
therealdeal

Quote:
Quote(by the realdeal):
I would like to holster up my ruger gp100 .357 someday for concealed carry as one example.

start response quote:

Pocket holsters work pretty well for small, pocket sized guns. My Ruger LCP or, and I can pull this off but others can, a snub nose are good examples of pocket carry.

Your GP is likely a gun that would work best OWB. You didn't mention barrel length, but with the cylinder width and barrel, it might be a tad uncomfortable carrying IWB. Unless you've got big pockets, pocket carry is out.

Carrying a large frame revolver can be done, but you'll have to dress around the gun. Secondly, you'll need a good holster. I prefer leather. Finally, and above all else, you'll need a good gun belt. A regular belt won't support the weight of the gun.
Kreyzhorse, I have updated&edited my original thread post. yes, I like leather too. I use my in-the-pocket holster for my Taurus CIA 650 .357 revolver (2" barrel stainless steel 23.9oz)

my ruger GP100 .357 is 6" barrel; thank you for your input/advice

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old September 27, 2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Jimmy10mm

I carried a S&W 340PD in a Mika pocket holster for 7 years. Recently sold it and began carrying either a Kahr MK340, Sig P238 or a Kahr P380 depending on what day it is. I discovered the beltster, seen here, through a friend, and that is my default mode of carry now.

I don't miss the feeling of a gun on my thigh or the bulge in my pocket. I find the belt holster too visible and IWB too uncomfortable. The beltster is truly a 'forget it is there' holster and is tight to the body with little or no printing. The only caveat being that you need your shirt tail out.
Old September 27, 2010, 11:01 AM   #8
michael t

Pocket holster great for small pistols I have a keltec in pocket at present Bigger belong IWB 6" barrel to long I believe except in a shoulder holster . Long barrels make sitting uncomfortable .
Old September 27, 2010, 11:20 AM   #9
EdInk

I will go against the grain and suggest an OWB holster. I can carry either my 442 or CW9 just fine with only a T-shirt for cover. The OWB is much more
comfortable and really doesn't print more than an IWB holster. The only concern is exposing the bottom of it BUT if your shirt fits correctly this isn't too much of a problem unless you're carrying a gun with a long barrel.

For pocket carry, I do a true pocket carry with an LCP.
Old September 27, 2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Quantrill

Directional draw, inside or outside the waistband.
Old September 27, 2010, 04:54 PM   #11
denfoote

Due to arthritis in my strong side hip, I've gravitated to pocket carry. That did require a change of platform. Most of the time I carry a Glock 26 in a no name nylon holster I bought off of e-bay.
The baby Glock is right at the upper size limit for effective carry, depending on your pocket size. I wear cargo pants with deep pockets, so this is not usually a problem. For social occasions, I'll either carry my P3AT in an Uncle Mikes #1 pocket holster or MK9 in a Desantis Nemesis.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old September 27, 2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Glenn Dee

YOU HAVE ONLY ONE HOLSTER?
Old September 27, 2010, 05:20 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

Good holster models..

I agree that the Desantis Nemnesis or Super-Fly pocket holsters could work well for small frame revolvers or pistols.
Ive had my Desantis since 12/2004. As for a holster for a 6" barrel GP100 I'd check out the Dirty Harry or STU shoulder rigs from Lawman Leather Goods; www.LawmanLeathergoods.com . These holsters are not cheap but are well made and will conceal/balance the weight of a large DA revolver(depending on your size/frame). The Bianchi/Safariland Cyclone #111 rig can work too for a GP100 but may not conceal in the crossdraw mode. Blade-tech sells custom GP 100 holsters but you'd need to wait a few weeks. I bought a left handed kydex rig(paddle) for my Ruger GPNY .38spl 4" barrel in 2006.

Clyde
ps; The CEO/mgr for Lawman Leather Goods is a forum member. See holsters here; www.Bianchi-intl.com www.Blade-tech.com www.Blackhawk.com .
Old September 27, 2010, 06:48 PM   #14
therealdeal

Quote:
YOU HAVE ONLY ONE HOLSTER?
Glenn Dee, I actually have two uncle mike in-the-pocket holsters, but they're identical except the size: I use size 4 but size 3 is technically the size recommended by uncle mike for my size weapon(the 4 seems like a perfect match). They're getting the job done for the moment, but I have also realized that even though I don't CCW my ruger 6" that a holster would still be handy instead of always being real gentle to&from the safe,etc).

Quote:
I agree that the Desantis Nemnesis or Super-Fly pocket holsters could work well for small frame revolvers or pistols.
Ive had my Desantis since 12/2004. As for a holster for a 6" barrel GP100 I'd check out the Dirty Harry or STU shoulder rigs from Lawman Leather Goods; www.LawmanLeathergoods.com . These holsters are not cheap but are well made and will conceal/balance the weight of a large DA revolver(depending on your size/frame). The Bianchi/Safariland Cyclone #111 rig can work too for a GP100 but may not conceal in the crossdraw mode. Blade-tech sells custom GP 100 holsters but you'd need to wait a few weeks. I bought a left handed kydex rig(paddle) for my Ruger GPNY .38spl 4" barrel in 2006.

Clyde
ps; The CEO/mgr for Lawman Leather Goods is a forum member. See holsters here; www.Bianchi-intl.com www.Blade-tech.com www.Blackhawk.com .
thanx clyde- I am checking out right now

Old September 27, 2010, 06:53 PM   #15
therealdeal

ruger
cia650
old timer
ruko
ruko2(buck 110 lookalike)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun156.JPG (238.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg gun456.JPG (222.8 KB, 48 views)

Old September 27, 2010, 06:56 PM   #16
savit260

I find anything longer than a 4" revolver or a 5" Govt. model Auto loader to be too long for IWB carry.

I find OWB carry to be quite nice with a short barrel, IF... and this is a BIG IF... you can find a holster that actually holds the revolver tight to the body, and doesn't make a big bulge under the shirt.

Some of the better pancake styles work well IMO.

Last edited by savit260; September 27, 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old September 27, 2010, 07:34 PM   #17
TenRing

If you want to carry and conceal a 6" GP100, a shoulder holster is probably the only practical way to do it. If you use a belt holster, the barrel will protrude far down your leg and you will need a long overcoat to hide it.

Be careful. You might end up looking like Sam McCloud or Harry Callahan.
Old September 27, 2010, 10:30 PM   #18
sliponby

I am trying to adjust to IWB but I'm having difficulty. Just seems too cumbersome and bulky. I'd rather OWB than IWB, at least for now. Relatively new to CC and still trying to find my best method and fit.

I pocket carry a G26 in either a Galco horsehide or an Uncle Mike's #4 (which also works for my PM9). Tight fitting jeans or dress slacks make the G26 a problem with printing (jeans) or dragging the pants down (slacks). I have a PM9 and an LCP which see duty but I strive to carry the G26 first and foremost because I trust it the most. Cargo shorts and pants with deep enough front pockets handle the G26 just fine. G19 mag on my weak side and I'm good to go.
Old September 28, 2010, 07:18 AM   #19
MLeake

One reason I prefer IWB over OWB...

... is that even with a pretty stiff belt, OWB holsters seem to let the butt of the pistol move further from my body than do IWB holsters. By straight comparisons (using holsters that can be adapted between IWB and OWB, EG Simply Rugged Cuda with inside-out straps), IWB mode tucks in just a bit tighter, but enough to make a difference in the thickness and stiffness of cover garments I can use.
Old September 29, 2010, 12:38 PM   #20
woodguru

I've settled into liking the way a kidney position belt holster rides. An Uncle Mike's I have for my Beretta 86 angles the barrel sort of across so it doesn't stick out from under a shirt or sweatshirt and makes the grip position perfect as I reach behind me. I leave the belt one loop out so that it easily slides around toward the front if I'm sitting in a chair or driving.

I don't know what I'd replace this thing with, I've had it for 15 years and it's made to where it holds my gun in the exact most comfortable place for it to sit. It's very easy to forget it's there.
Old September 29, 2010, 01:48 PM   #21
ClydeFrog

Texas Ranger JJ McQuade..

No problem TRD, I think you'd find a decent holster/belt or shoulder rig for your 6" barrel GP100.
+1 on 10-Ring's remarks too. As I posted before, it would be hard to carry or conceal a large frame pistol/DA revolver in a cross-draw without effort.
Chuck Norris toted a big N frame S&W revolver in the action classic; LoneWolf McQuade(1983), www.IFMDb.org . But Ranger McQuade used open carry and wore a leather crossdraw.
I'd add that whatever model you pick, make sure it can support or balance the full weight of a loaded handgun. If the rig sags or prints a lot, you may have problems. I've worn large pistols in well made shoulder holsters for 12/16/18 hours a clip, and was glad I spent the $$$ on quality gear.
Old September 29, 2010, 02:20 PM   #22
ClayInTx

I pocket carry a Ruger LCR. As others said, don’t carry anything else in that pocket. When in a circumstance where I believe I might need it I just walk along with my hand in my pocket with my fingers extended; grasping the butt makes a bulge.

Being a bit “elderly” I don’t wear tight jeans. Also, being a bit “elderly” I know, and have had it demonstrated to me, that I’m considered a prime target.

For the “just in case” incidents I have a 357 in the car cubby with a crumpled napkin over it. For long trips when I expect to be in the car in traffic at times I carry an SP101 in a crossdraw and wear a loose casual jacket.

It’s not paranoia when you know they’re out to get you.
Old September 29, 2010, 04:47 PM   #23
2damnold4this

I usually carry a G26 in a modified Uncle Mike's #4 pocket holster. It's very difficult to access when seated but it's concealed in the hot weather we have here in the summer. When not carrying in my pocket, I like the Blackhawk! Serpa canted all the way forward.
Old September 30, 2010, 12:03 AM   #24
BfloBill

If you get a good holster (my favorite snubby holster was a Bianchi) that rides a little high, and pair it with a 1 3/4" or 2" belt it is very comfortable to carry and can be covered with a loose t-shirt. I found it a lot more comfortable than IWB. As for pocket carry, I'm small so my pockets are too. The only gun I pocket carry is a .22 Beretta.
Old September 30, 2010, 11:03 PM   #25
Deja vu

I prefer pocket carry but I usually wear slacks when I CCW so I have more pocket room than a guy in Levis.

Tags
concealed , handgun , hip , holsters , pocket