The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 16, 2007, 11:51 AM   #1
UticaRifleman

Buying Gun Safes

We want to buy a gun safe that we will have for life. It needs to hold at least 25 long guns (more better). 10 + handguns and valueables

What should we be looking for fire rating, water proof, lock. What are other important ratings?

What are the best companies and were are the best place to buy them? 3

Thanks
Old December 16, 2007, 04:49 PM   #2
RevoRick

Have you tried posting on The High Road. There is a guy there, name has slipped my mind, that seems to really now what he is talking about. Zylkan safes or something like that. Do a search over there.
DW 10mm CBOB, 10mm Experimental, .45 Pointman GD, .45 Patriot CCO. DW 744 VH .44 6", 715 VH .357 4". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC.
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old December 16, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
klcmschlesinger

Sturdy

Sturdy gun safes are supposed to be bad ass. I've seen some threads on this and from what I gather, unless you are willing to spend several thousands of dollars, most of the ratings don't mean much. I am not willing to spend that much, so most tell me to get something that I think could keep out the smash and grab criminal and the kids and their friends.
Tips I have learned: You want external hinges. You want a dial lock. You want at least 10 guage steel.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old December 16, 2007, 09:21 PM   #4
CharlieBrown

fire rating..for me anyway..rural fire deptment..is a moot point

by the time they arrive...be too late even with the fire ratings i see..compounded buy a wood floor
KIMBER PRO CARRY .45
SIG P229SAS
COLT .380
WALTHER P-35
COLT DELTA ELITE 10MM
S&W 686 .357
BROWNING BUCKMARK 5.5 TARGET
Old December 17, 2007, 07:22 AM   #5
xcop

safe

You need to think about your price range. I recently spent 6K for a gunsafe including freight and installation but that might be way out of your price range. Since prices can run from a few hundred bucks to many thousands security and fire rating varies considerably. In the price range of 1500-3000 I would look at the Amsec BF series. Above 4k I would look at the TL30 Amsec or the Graffunder. Keep in mind that safe manufacturers overestimate how many long guns their product really holds. Based upon my experience to hold 25 long guns you need to look for a safe advertised as holding 40.

Last edited by xcop; December 17, 2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old December 17, 2007, 06:55 PM   #6
a1abdj

Quote:
Have you tried posting on The High Road. There is a guy there, name has slipped my mind, that seems to really now what he is talking about. Zylkan safes or something like that. Do a search over there.
Don't tell anybody over there, but I hang out here sometimes too

Quote:
by the time they arrive...be too late even with the fire ratings i see..compounded buy a wood floor
If the fire rating isn't important, that gives you the option of getting thicker steel for the same weight. From a security standpoint, that's a very good thing.

Quote:
In the price range of 1500-3000 I would look at the Amsec BF series
For the money, I think the AMSEC BF series is the best buy in it's price range. These safes use much heavier doors, and composite injected bodies. These (and the Graffunders) are going to be about the closest thing to a real fire rated safe in a gun safe package.

AMSEC is also a real safe company. They are one of the largest safe manufactures in the US producing upwards of 60,000 safes a year.

Quote:
Above 4k I would look at the TL30 Amsec or the Graffunder.
This price range opens you up to a variety of real safe options. Graffunder builds an excellent product, and their line consists of heavy steel plate with an injected barrier. The AMSEC (and others) offers a variety of composite safes that offer high security, but lower weights.

Quote:
What should we be looking for fire rating, water proof, lock. What are other important ratings?
Any ratings on safes that mean anything in the US are awarded by UL. I'm not aware of any gun safe on the market that has a UL fire rating, and very few that have a UL burglary rating. Most safes are not waterproof. The locks are also rated by UL, so you'll want to make sure the safe has a UL rated lock as well.

Quote:
What are the best companies
This really depends on a number of factors.

Quote:
were are the best place to buy them?
From me of course

If you're rather buy locally, I'm sure I could point you towards somebody in your area. You're better off sticking with safe companies as opposed to sporting goods stores. They will be better able to show you the differences and provide you with accurate information.
Old December 17, 2007, 08:59 PM   #7
dakota1911

I would google American Security at least and look at their stuff.
Old December 18, 2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Mach II Sailor

Quote:
Based upon my experience to hold 25 long guns you need to look for a safe advertised as holding 40.
TRUE !!

especially for AR-15s..., BUT !! i discovered a way to get almost that many in mine which is a Ft.Knox, i took out the factory racks, made my own and rack them every other one muzzle up and muzzle down even with scopes this method works very well, i also have three hanging on the door, they are my "go to" guns.
Old December 22, 2007, 12:46 AM   #9
Remander

Posters are correct that you can't put 20 guns in a 20-gun safe unless they are all single-shot .22 rifles.

With guns of various sizes and lengths, the size shrinks quickly.

My safe originally had room for ammo and accessories. Two years later, just guns jam it full. Most folks who buy gun safes get more guns, not less.

And then your spouse will want to put jewelry and cameras and such in there, shrinking the space.

Go large if you have the space and $.

I recently had an "issue" with my S&G electronic keypad lock. There is a thread on it at THR. I still have one, but it is an issue to consider.
Old December 29, 2007, 11:12 PM   #10
RickInTampa

Browning Safe

The range where I shoot had a safe for sale that finally meets all of my space requirements; and it's just on the outer edge of what I can afford to spend. ($1500)

The safe is a Browning "Theftgard" TG33F. I was wondering if anyone out there had one; and/or anyone has an opinion on this particular model.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rick
Old December 29, 2007, 11:59 PM   #11
a1abdj

Rick,

The Theftgard is a Chinese import with the Browning name attached. The safe is one of their entry level units that uses 12 gauge steel and has a 30 minute fire rating.

If you haven't had a chance, click on the link in my signature line and look at the Diamond Series gun safes. They run in the same price range, but are built quite a bit heavier than the Browning.
Old December 30, 2007, 01:31 AM   #12
skeeter1

There's no such thing as too big. I've got a 8-gun safe, and with 6 long guns and 4 handguns, it's packed! Think about what you need, and then get one size larger.
Old December 30, 2007, 11:29 AM   #13
22-rimfire

I agree Skeeter. You need to plan for growth. You will find things to put inside the safe and it won't only be guns.

The only place I can effectively place a safe is in my garage and garages aren't real secure for the most part. Then you have humidity issues potentially in the garage with the possibility of condensation on the firearms due to changes from cold to warm.
Old December 30, 2007, 08:58 PM   #14
dalv

FWIW - I just bought a BigHorn 30 gun safe from Tractor Supply. Did a bunch of comparing, most in my price range ($800-1K) were small (16-20GUN) 1/2 hour rated.
Next best was at Dicks, they had a left over 24 GUN at $799 - 1/2 hr.

Tractor Supply had the Bighorn - 1hr rated, 10 ga steel, external hinges, and fire seal that expands when it gets hot to seal the door from smoke/heat. Granted, it is made in China - distributed by outfit in Idaho - Rhino Metal safe co.
Safe weighs 840 lbs - seems real well made.

I put off the safe for years, never had a problem but feel much better now all my rifles and pistols are locked up. Going to get a dehumid stick this week.

I paid $1058 w/tax. A little more than I wanted but the best deal I found. Oh yeah....it's full! might be able to sneak another couple in if I have to..thinking about a hornet
Old January 1, 2008, 10:54 PM   #15
Chuck Dye

When I shopped safes, I concluded that my best value was a moving target, shifting as various dealers and manufacturers went through their marketing gymnastics. I discovered Sportsman Steel Safes after the fact and suspect I missed my best choice. Shipping costs were a major factor.

Look up the difference between a safe and an RSC, Residential Security Container. Most gun "safes" are RSCs. If the bad guys have time and can make a lot of noise, RSCs are absurdly vulnerable. Who will notice an attack and how quickly the bad guys can be caught or driven off is very important.

Check out Omega Point Laboratories, a fire resistance tester.

Check the difference between gypsum and ceramic fireboard liners.

Look very carefully at having the pros deliver and install your purchase. I collected my 900 pounder at the warehouse and brought it home in my Yukon. Six of us got the beast out of the car and into position in the house without damage or injury, but I will not attempt such a feat again.