The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1
flashhole

Old Remington Primers - question about packaging

When did Remington stop packaging primers in the wooden trays? I picked up some Kleanbore 9 1/2 primers at the gun show today. The primers stand on their side in the wooden tray and the tray is wrapped in cardboard. The paper cover says Remington Dupont made in Bridgeport, CT. A bit difficult to open but they look like new. Anything I should know?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 15, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Sport45

Sounds neat.

If the primers look new I'd say there's a good chance they aren't the ones originally packaged in the tray.

Did you buy these for use as components or for collector interest?
Old September 15, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
jcwit

I got some of those, they also look new. I'm pretty sure they are the orginals, I got them from an older friend of mine in the 1950's, he said he had got them just after the 2nd big war. I really hate to use them.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:51 AM   #4
flashhole

I bought 17 packs of 100 for $17. On some of the packs the paper wrap is torn but most of them are intact. They definately have a cool factor but I bought them to use, not to look at. I may set one or two of them aside but I'm not into collectng older containers. I will post a picture.

Old September 16, 2012, 07:06 AM   #5
flashhole

This is what I bought. The wood carrier would be pretty pricey in today's world of plastic.