The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 14, 2014, 10:19 PM   #1
bikerbill

Damaged digit

I recently tore the tendon that controls the last digit on my strong hand pinkie ... my orthopedist said scar tissue would fix the problem and rejoin the two ends -- if I keep the finger in a plastic cast for six weeks.

My problem is obvious -- while I can use most of my SD guns with one hand without involving the pinkie, I can't take a two-hand grip, which of course reduces my chances of an accurate hit. I'm currently carrying some low-recoil revolvers -- both .22 mags -- which make it easier to shoot accurately with one hand. I was going to ask if anybody has faced a similar problem and found a solution, but I'm guessing maybe there isn't any good way to involve both hands and I'm stuck with the .22mag until the tendon repairs itself.

Incidently, my doctor said it's likely that years of working my hands with a Gripmaster was probably what caused the damage. I lost control of a 3-pound peanut butter jar and grabbed it hard with my right hand. He says he's never heard of just gripping an object damaging that tendon, but he thinks that the strength produced by the regular exercise probably did the deed.

Only five weeks to go ....
Old December 15, 2014, 04:27 AM   #2
Sevens

If this was me in your shoes...
I would weigh my chances of being involved in a defensive shooting up against my love for shooting and my intention to have my damaged finger properly heal.

In other words
I would CEASE entirely holding handguns with my strong hand for the next month and I would jump in head first to weak-hand, one-hand shooting.

It would be a completely do-able challenge to do -all- of my shooting in this manner, and a no-brainer if it meant that my strong hand would be allowed to properly heal.
Old December 15, 2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I had surgery on the pinkie of my weak hand to repair Dupuytren's Contracture a couple of years ago. I just stopped shooting during the recovery period -- which was a LOT longer than the 6 weeks you're looking at. I'm right handed so I could still carry using my normal belt holster, but going to the range for an extended session of one-handed practice just wasn't enjoyable.
Old December 15, 2014, 10:45 AM   #4
Skans

Quote:
I would CEASE entirely holding handguns with my strong hand for the next month and I would jump in head first to weak-hand, one-hand shooting.
I agree with this. I always reserve a little shooting time to practice one-handed with my left (weak) hand. I find that at defensive ranges, out to about 20 feet, there isn't all that much difference anyway. Moving and shooting, or longer range shooting and the gap in proficiency widens.
Old December 15, 2014, 11:15 AM   #5
kraigwy

I'm a firm believer in learning to and practicing weak hand shooting. I'm also a firm believer in one hand shooting.

If you cant use your hand gun with one hand, or you can use your hand gun with only your weak hand, you need to, 1: Learn too, 2: re-evaluate you choice of handgun.

In my 20 years in LE I cant remember the time where I presented my service revolver when I could use both hands except on the range. Always had something in the other hand, be it a flashlight, mirror, door knob, suspect, ticket book, etc etc.

I was shot in the hand (strong hand) and had several pins holding my fingers together. I hand to wear a glove with my finger taped together,

But:

Because I had practiced with my left (weak) hand I was able to reach around and draw my service revolver from my right side.

Though I got caught, the Sgt asked if I could draw my revolver with the left hand, I showed him, but still he wasn't impressed. He ordered me to property to check out a left handed holster. Yeah it was easier.

Still one needs learn to shoot and operate the gun you carry from either hand. I believe a majority of your training should be with your weak hand. And 98% should be with one hand. Lean to shoot, and reload, with using only your strong AND weak hand.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 16, 2014, 09:10 AM   #6
g.willikers

Yes, and double yes.
Real shootists can do it with two hands, one hand, right hand, left hand, standing up, laying down, and running away.
And with any caliber, too.
Up until the 1970s, everyone shot handguns one handed.
Heck, plenty of folks today are shooting one handed, even if they think they're doing it two handed.
Not well, though.
Get some instruction on effective one handed shooting and practice, practice.
It's not hard to learn.
Start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QXnyZN60Pk

Last edited by g.willikers; December 16, 2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old December 16, 2014, 10:00 AM   #7
buck460XVR

20 years ago or so, I crushed the trigger finger on my strong hand. Broke it in several pieces and like you, had to keep it in a metal splint for 6 weeks. This was just at the beginning of hunting season. Before the season had gone very far I had figured out how to shoot bow and shotgun using techniques different than I had ever used before, once I figured out how to keep the injured finger outta the way. Managed to get my buck with bow and gun that year plus I did well with my SxS when the woodcock flight was in. I would think a pinkie would be easier to work around as far as shooting a firearm. The problem I see with a splint on any finger on your strong hand would be drawing your SD firearm in a hurry, especially from a concealed holster.
Old December 17, 2014, 08:41 AM   #8
bikerbill

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I totally agree that I have not been spending enough time with offhand practice, a problem I began fixing yesterday with a trip to the range. Fired about 200 rounds from my EDC PM9 and by the end I was producing decent groups at 7 yards. Still need work at greater distances, but I'm committed.

As an aside, I also figured a two-handed grip which takes into consideration my splinted finger. A normal strong hand grip, with the finger extended. That finger fits between the ring and middle finger of my left, support hand and I can shoot just about as well as a normal two-hand grip, without doing any additional damage to the splinted finger. I didn't try it with other fingers, but for the pinkie, it works great.