The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 11, 2014, 10:22 AM   #26
9miller

Kraigwy, that is impressive!!
My concern for it is them charging me and having only seconds to shoot, if I were hunting them it wouldn't be a concern at all, I would have adequate time to have shot placement. That thick chest plate must of inspired the engineers who designed the armor on an Abrams tank.
Old December 14, 2014, 01:55 AM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Hey guys, I am trying to decide which caliber I want to get my first revolver in.
Pardon me for asking, but since this is your first revolver, do you have any experience with the calibers you are considering?

When you start looking at magnums and big bores, its a whole different world than autopistol rounds.

The .357 Magnum is a better place to start than the .44, or heavy .45 Colt but if you can put up with the learning curve, the bigbores are awesome.

Being a handloader, you have a big advantage, even just starting out. You can choose loads that suit your abilities. One good way to develop a flinch is to shoot too much gun before you are ready for it.
Old December 14, 2014, 02:37 AM   #28
Hook686

I have:
a S&W 627PC .357 magnum/.38 Special and
a S&W 329PD .44 Special/.44 magnum.

Eliminating one of these has proven impossible for me thus far. When I go into the outback fishing/camping/hiking the 329 goes with me. While at the range it works well with .44 Special, its place is having a few .44 Specials followed by a couple of .44 magnum rounds when in the out back. The .44 Special loads I like better than the .357 magnum.

For the range .357 magnum/.38 Special is cheaper to shoot. Eight rounds of .357 magnum gives me comfort at home.

As I said I have been unable to get rid of one. Maybe you will have better luck. Maybe you will end up with all three. I think that would be a good choice if you have the time and inclination to load for all three and shoot them.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 14, 2014, 06:20 AM   #29
Sevens

Holy moly! Those hogs in Alaska, they sure grow 'em wild!
Old December 14, 2014, 07:20 AM   #30
hartcreek

You really need to go to a range and rent a few large caliber handguns first and balance what the recoil is going to do to you verses the advantages.

I spend months in the woods so large magnums are a must even here in Washington since you can not hunt cougar and bear with dogs any more.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:20 AM   #31
9miller

44, I have shot a .357 but not the other two, I figure I could load some cowboy .45lc loads and it would be softer than the .357 in recoil terms. Plus I will have the potential to go to powerhouse loads. The 3 ranges around me have .22lr revolvers and the rest are autos.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:44 AM   #32
RIDE-RED 350r

Well, in revolvers of comparable size and weight, there is no comparison in recoil between a 357 and 44. However, if you are comfortable with stout 357's, especially out of say a 4" K-frame, transitioning to a 44mag shouldn't be too much of an undertaking.

I do speak from experience, I own a 4" m19-3, a 6" m28-2 (smoothest shooting 357 I have ever used barring none, including L-frame 586/686) a 4" m29-2, 6.5" 629 Classic, and a 5" 460v.

I handload, and load stout for everything but the 29-2, which is the royalty in my weapons locker.
Old December 15, 2014, 08:31 AM   #33
Sport45

Quote:
which gives you the broadest range of loads to choose from( including the specials)?
Get a .460S&W Magnum and have the cylinder machined for moon clips. You can shoot 460S&W, .454 Casull, .45 Colt, .45 Schofield, .45ACP, and .45GAP. That's about the broadest range of loads I can think of.

That said, My .45 Colt Redhawk does everything I want it to do. I take care of the "range of loads" bit at the reloading bench and don't have to change cartridges.

I'll add that 90% or more of my revolver shooting is with plain 'ole .45 Colt or .38 Special loadings.
Old December 15, 2014, 11:55 AM   #34
22-rimfire

Hogs and charging a person.... essentially defensive use. The 357 should be enough with the higher powered loads. But I have never shot a hog... and I certainly never shot a charging hog.... My thought is that it depends on how big a hog it is.

You have to hit them first. Easier to shoot a 357 mag over a peppy 45LC or 44mag. But on the other hand, bullet diameter matters and if you feel that you can become proficient with the larger caliber, I'd go that route.

Definitely think... Ruger Redhawk, or Blackhawk if you want to load to to "ruger levels".

If I was choosing to carry something in this situation, I'd carry a 4" S&W M57 (41 mag) and 4" only because it is easier to carry in a belt holster than a 6" or 8 3/8". So, I would suggest the 44 mag myself and then download to around 1200 fps for normal shooting and something at normal levels or peppier for the hunting scenario.

If I were hunting hogs with a revolver/handgun, I'd go with my BFR in 480 Ruger just because I like it in a chest rig. But the 45LC/44mag is enough.
Old December 17, 2014, 12:11 AM   #35
DannyB1954

With the 44 Mag you can shoot that, (expensive to practice with), or you can shoot 44 Spl, (expensive to practice with). Even if you reload.

If you go .357Mag, You can shoot that, (not as expensive), or 38Spl, (fairly reasonable cost). The gun will probably be smaller and lighter to carry. For the woods I would say a MINIMUM barrel length would be 4 inch, with longer being better. This web site will show you how barrel length affects the .357Mag round in different ammo. A 6" barrel will give you almost twice the energy in some cases as a 2" BARREL. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
A hot .357 load has enough penetration power to take down most anything in your neck of the woods. If you had Grizzly bear, the choice might be less clear. If I was in Grizzly country, I would opt for a 12 gauge with slugs. Those things can be scary big and mean. You can buy empty cases separately, but by the time you buy the other stuff to make it a cartridge, how much are you going to save?

I have both, I can tell you honestly that I shoot a lot more 38's than 44magnums. 38 +P isn't a bad home defense round either.
If you end up picking between 44 mag and 45lc, I would go 44mag. I believe that there are more bullet options for it, and hot loads can be had right off the shelf a lot easier. even if you reload, you will probably be buying new ammo if not just to increase the number of cases that you have to reload.

Last edited by DannyB1954; December 17, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old December 17, 2014, 07:36 AM   #36
Real Gun

Quote:
With the 44 Mag you can shoot that, (expensive to practice with), or you can shoot 44 Spl, (expensive to practice with). Even if you reload.
Reloading changes everything. Also, I found that 44 Magnum is satisfying with fewer rounds in a session.
Old December 17, 2014, 05:50 PM   #37
9miller

I'm not really concerned with the price of shooting it to be honest, that's not saying I have money (because I do not). But I have already calculated the costs of locally available components. And its pretty negligible.
357 would cost me $6.75/50
44 would cost me $9/50
45LC would cost me $8.50/50
All would be with purchased cast bullets. And I also plan to start casting my own once I move into a house with a garage.
I can trade with other reloaders for cases as I process all brass I get at the range, even if I don't need it. It will eventually pay off. I have a bag of 40s&w and 45acp. Neither do I have a gun in but someone else does, and could use those cases.
Old December 17, 2014, 06:31 PM   #38
357 Python

Since this would be your first revolver I imagine you are thinking about others later on. The 38/357 is a nice place to start. It costs less to feed and reloading which is relatively easy lessens the cost even more. Holsters and other gear can be found nearly anywhere. The recoil while sometimes strong is not out of what most people can safely handle. The wide array of ammo can be adjusted to nearly any situation from target shooting to serious life saving defense. Don't get me wrong I like a good 44 Magnum as well but the recoil is much stronger and ammo is much more expensive. A 44 magnum is usually larger in frame size than a 357. The 357 being lighter may also be easier to carry all day the the big 44. The 357 should be sufficient with hogs. If you were concerned about bears I would say a 44 Magnum or even better a rifle.
Old December 17, 2014, 07:18 PM   #39
Abraxxas

If you want to hunt hogs, and are really interested in all the different options you have in loading 45 Colt, my suggestion would be to consider something chambered in .454 Casull. My first revolver, and first handgun in fact, was a 6.5 inch Raging Bull in .454 Casull. I still have it 15 years later.

It's great fun with hand loads for the big muzzle flash/shock and awe factor when you put any XTP over a big pile of H110. It packs top of the line stopping power against anything you can hunt with a handgun, and you can play with any 45 Colt loads you'd ever want to.

357 is hard to beat as well though, which is why I have and reload for both. As others have stated, pick which one you want first and get it now, because you'll end up with both later anyways.

Here's a 240gr XTP over a big 'ol fun pile of H110 at dusk, while you think about it

Old December 17, 2014, 08:30 PM   #40
Mike / Tx

I have two GP-100's, three Redhawk's in 41,44, and 45 Colt and the 8 3/8" Raging Bull in 454 for big fun.

I have been hunting with handguns for over 25yrs and to be totally honest, I would say pick the bigger caliber. I'm not saying that to boost any manhood, but simply from a downrange performance perspective. Like you mention, you already handload that is plus #1. You also mention picking up casting, plus #2. So you already have runners on two bases and you haven't even walked up to the plate yet.

I use a nice wide nylon belt and holster and carry in a cross draw fashion. It is simply something that has evolved through the years and is quicker for me to clean and get on target that way.

The .357's are nice and light for toting around, but I don't notice my RH's much either. But for hunting you end up loosing powder space when gaining bullet weight. This cuts down on velocity and energy. I understand that if things are perfect that usually isn't a huge factor, but when hunting things are seldom perfect, especially if you are rushed into a shot. (ie. feral hog clearing brush under you feet, or worse working towards clearing your feet from under you.) I have been on both ends of that candle and been burned as well. Heavy bullets even at a moderate velocity trump speed and light weight when things hit the fan.

The 44's are nice as well, I like mine a LOT. I have shot more different loads out of it than probably any other firearm I own. Running top end 180s up through top end 300's in jacketed, and then with lead plodding along at around 900fps up into some which are right there in the mid 1400's. Still with all of that versatility I usually reach for the 41 or 45 when I head out.

If you can find one for around 6-700, the Redhawk in the 7.5" version 45 Colt is really something. You can load pip squeak loads down in the ACP range, or you can load up into the lower 454 range, but you won't need that sort of power so don't even sweat it. Launching a 250 - 280gr WFN cast bullet will drop anything you can draw a bead on, and will shoot from stem to stern on most feral hogs. This is with loads only bumping along at around 1200fps. Of course the 454's are good as well. You CAN drop the loads down using 454 cases into the 45 Colt realm so you don't have to have a supply of both cases on hand. There is a good selection of loads in the Speer manual for the 45-270 SAA cast bullet which is a 270-280gr SWC bullet. Great shooting in both my Colt and my 454. That said though you can adjust the loads to other cast bullets in that weight range for general target use and, well, hunting as well.

Now if you want something that is a real treat, pick up a RH in 41. While it doesn't share the widest available weights in bullets, those which are there work and they work well. For jacketed I usually only use the 200gr Remington SJHP over 20.5grs of 296. This rolls out the muzzle of the 7.5" barrel at around 1300fps and will shoot tighter than I can hold most days. I have dumped plenty of feral hogs in the 80 -200# range with them at ranges measured in feet to out past 100yds. It is a mild recoil with some real authority once it get where it's going. Most top brands make a 170 or 210gr of the two the latter would be my choice. Of the cast selection, if your pouring your own look at Accurate Molds and pick out a nice 215gr WFN or RFN type bullet even maybe one of the SWC styles in that weight range and you will be set. Why would I recommend this one while not in your list? Well it is a somewhat of a sleeper caliber. It has mild recoil when compared to the bigger ones but it doesn't give up much in performance. You might not hit 1800fps with any of the loads, but you don't need to. With the bullets available you get sectional density of a longer bullet. Most of the cast 215's are around the same length of the 240gr 44's. While they aren't quite as big around they still penetrate just as deep and produce some really amazing results all out of proportion to what you would think. Some of my best shots as well as spectacular kills have been with my 41. It just rocks, nuff said. But don't take my word on it check out this thread, .41 Mag Association

Ok so with that out of the way, I highly suggest that for which ever you choose, you simply get with Starline Brass and pick up a 500ct box of new brass. I also HIGHLY suggest that you pull out and measure 25-30 of them after sizing, and trim to the shortest measured length. This will go a LONG way in keeping your crimps consistent. ( I know I know don't even go there, most folks NEVER trim their pistol or revolver cases, I can hear it now.) Most folks don't shoot 1" groups offhand at 25yds and further with their revolvers either. Trust me it helps. Also don't get caught up in putting too much crimp on your loads either. You only need enough to keep the bullets from moving, and the case tension SHOULD do 95% of the work. I can point you to that in writing as well. Took me nearly a decade to believe it, but once I found it out for myself, I am a true believer now, regardless of the the rest of the world's opinion.

Anyway hope that helps.
Old December 17, 2014, 09:26 PM   #41
bedbugbilly

My vote would be for 38/357 but that's what I like and reload for . . . you really need to go, as suggested, and try the various calibers at a range and see what suits you. I mainly punch paper and maybe a varmint once in a while but I don't even care for the 357 - rather shoot 38s - easier on my hands, arms and shoulders. I have shot a 44 Mag just once . . I'd rather have range time and go though 150 or so 38 spls and enjoy myself than shoot 50 44 Mags and hammer my hands.

Myrtle Beach? The last time I was down there . . . many, many years ago . . there wasn't anything to hunt but blonds in bikinis!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 17, 2014, 09:34 PM   #42
SARuger

I hunt whitetail with my 10" .44mag SBH, its expensive to practice with. I recently bought a Security Six 4" .357mag/.38spl, its just fun and makes a nice open carry gun be it in the woods or out around town(open carry is common around here).

I would say if your going to hunt, go with the larger calibers. if its for carry and practice, go with the .357

The .357 will kill a deer though..........
Old December 20, 2014, 07:49 AM   #43
22-rimfire

Mike/TX you make me feel bad that I sold my 41 mag Redhawk. Just wasn't shooting it and have others in 41 mag. I agree with your "larger caliber" suggestion if you are serious about hunting with a handgun.
Old December 20, 2014, 08:37 AM   #44
2damnold4this

I have several revolvers that range in size from a J-frame Airweight in .38 +p to a 7 1/2" Ruger SBH in .44 mag. It's fun to shoot them all but I can't see carrying the SBH on a stroll through the woods unless I was hunting with it. For protection, I carry a J frame.

As long as it can penetrate a pig skull from the front at close range, I think your EDC will be enough for protection against feral hogs. But hunting feral hogs with a big bore revolver sounds like fun. I have chased a feral hog that a friend wounded with a muzzle loader through a swamp at night and killed it with a .45 ACP. I probably could have done it with the J frame in .38 but the big .45 bullet anchored the 170 lb pig with the first shot.