The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 22, 2008, 12:41 AM   #1
enstorm

Posts asking about your stash

Does anybody else feel uncomfortable when some post asks to look at pictures of all your guns or wants to know how many you own, etc.?
Old August 22, 2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Capt_Vin

I am proud of my right to keep and bear arms, therefore, I don't feel uncomfortable when someone asks me what I have.
Old August 22, 2008, 01:00 AM   #3
outbreak722

online, yes. In person, generally no. I like showing people my collection, and going shooting with them. Online is so anonymous though, if someone is ASKING about my collection/stash, it could be innocent interest in cool pics of loads of guns and ammo; or it could be a criminal trying to find a good score of free guns and ammo; or, for those of you wearing foil helmets, it could the THE MAN doing online covert gun registration.
At the same time, I love talking about shooting, to anyone and everyone. I figure if we want to spread the word about safe gun ownership by responsible, law abiding citizens, we can't keep our habit...I mean hobby, a secret. I have no problem telling people that I carry, that I enjoy shooting, that I have a lot of guns, or whatever. When it comes down to specifics is when I start wondering about motives.
"In a half century of military service with the United States and its foreign allies, the M1 has bitten thousands of recruits in this manner. No one has ever died from it, but it did lead to a deplorable expansion of vocabulary in many languages."
-US Rifle. Caliber .30, M1 Manual
Old August 22, 2008, 01:08 AM   #4
Sixer

Not if they're asking within the confines of this forum. TFL is a great place to share anything firearm related, including pics of your guns. I see where many members actually have the guns they own listed in their signature box.

Part of the reason I log into this forum on a regular basis is to see what other people are shooting, have just bought, or own. The combined information, pics, opinions, and user feedback is a great resource for all shooters.

If everyone was to paranoid or worried to reveal some or all of their collection, then we probably wouldnt have a whole lot to discuss. As long as theyre not asking for my street address and safe combination, I personally have no problem with it... but that's just me.
Old August 22, 2008, 01:59 AM   #5
Majic

Well seeing you call it a stash I guess you see it as something hidden away, but I have nothing illegal and see no problem in it.
Old August 22, 2008, 02:16 AM   #6
Shorts

I'm with Sixer.

If you get uncomfortable at a post, don't answer.
Old August 22, 2008, 02:56 AM   #7
ISC

My rant....

Quote:
I see where many members actually have the guns they own listed in their signature box.
I see that too and just don't get it. Are those people so proud of their paltry collection (it must be small if they can list it in a signature) that they want to proclaim to the world "look at me I have a few guns".

What does that say except that you say have a couple guns. It says nothing about your knowledge, skill, or judgement when it comes to firearms or about you as a person.

I've been wanting to rant about gun list signatures for awhile. After calling a firearm a "mouse gun" It is the greatest glaring sign of immaturity I see here. A 9 mm isn't worthy of respect? How retarded is that when such a huge proportion of lethal gunshot wounds are inflicted by 9mm? Anyone that calls any centerfire firearm a mouse gun is displaying their ignorance.

And another thing. Clips and magazines are two entirely different things. Would you call a shotgun a rifle? Hell no, so why call a magazine a clip. If you don't know the difference, find out because your ignorance annoys me.

Speaking of shotguns, "shotty" sounds stupid too. How old are you 5? "My name is Timmy, I make poopy and then asky my daddy if I could looky at his shotty"

Idiots.

RE: pictures, have you ever noticed that Busty women never say "show me your breasts?" In fact, women in general don't do that. The reason is that if you have something you don't go running around asking others to play show and tell. If you want to see a picture of a commn firearm, use google.

Let me wrap it up by saying that the crazy claims that some of you make about your feats of marksmenship, tactical skills, and imaginary confrontations with villians at the mall sound stupid and the only people that care and believe it is other wannabes who equate their airsoft experience with a firefight in a hot combat zone. I don't believe you when you claim that you shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards with an SKS. You are a LIAR! You say that you can hit a flying sparrow with your rifle? LIAR! Your stock .22 cloverleafs at 100M? I'd be more likely to believe you if you stated that your ex girlfriend is a playboy bunny or that you've been blessed by the pope.

People that have "been there and done" that don't tell stories about it to strangers on the internet.

To sum it all up, grow up
Old August 22, 2008, 04:03 AM   #8
Bud Helms

'Can't say as I have ever seen a post asking for "pictures of all your guns or wants to know how many you own".

Okay, there are those "Let's See Your Collection" threads. As suggested, you surely aren't obligated to answer that question.

I too wonder at the wisdom of advertising so many firearms in a sig line.
Old August 22, 2008, 08:13 AM   #9
ronc0011

Well actually as it stands right now, getting information from internet post would be difficult only because of legal hazards not because of technical barriers.

When connections are made between servers, I.P. addresses are recorded. Those addresses have a paper trail because the servers of the I.S.P. who owns that address know the physical address of that modem. Well actually the I.S.P. knows the physical address of that modem.

Should the day ever come that the legal restrictions are lifted you can bet that if anyone has been paying attention they will know who’s door to knock on.
Old August 22, 2008, 08:33 AM   #10
CraigC

A little bit but I'm never too specific.
Old August 22, 2008, 11:21 AM   #11
jrfoxx

Quote:
Does anybody else feel uncomfortable when some post asks to look at pictures of all your guns or wants to know how many you own, etc.?
No, because I am under no obligation to accomodate them if I dont want to, so there is really nothing to worry about. I can ignore them, are give selected info with no pics, or selected pics with no info, etc at my leisure.Nothing to be uncomfortable about, as I have all the control, and can give, or not give whatever info I choose, in whatever manner I choose.

Pretty hard for anyone here to do anything as long a I dont do something stupid, like post all the info about all my guns, along with my address, work schedule, alarm codes, and tips on how to steal my stuff.

Just respond, or dont respond with whatever you are comfortable with, and there should be nothing to worry about.
Old August 22, 2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Trapp

You're funny ISC.......

Maybe you should switch to decaf.......
Old August 22, 2008, 03:58 PM   #13
MrClean

C'mon ISC....
don't hold back.....
Tell us how you really feel.

For me. If I don't feel comfortable.... just say NO. I have had many ask me to open my safe up to see my collection. Some I just say "No offense, but I'll just keep it shut". If they get ******, they just get ******. People can ask me anything.... they just might not like the answer. LMAO

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old August 22, 2008, 04:24 PM   #14
Darren007

Nope.I dont feel uncomfortable.

Im actually really shocked by the guys who say that, in person theyll gladly show their guns. Thats more risky to me than just a photo from a forum poster IMHO.

Quote:
Let me wrap it up by saying that the crazy claims that some of you make about your feats of marksmenship, tactical skills, and imaginary confrontations with villians at the mall sound stupid and the only people that care and believe it is other wannabes who equate their airsoft experience with a firefight in a hot combat zone. I don't believe you when you claim that you shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards with an SKS. You are a LIAR! You say that you can hit a flying sparrow with your rifle? LIAR! Your stock .22 cloverleafs at 100M? I'd be more likely to believe you if you stated that your ex girlfriend is a playboy bunny or that you've been blessed by the pope.
I gotta agree with this though. ISC hit the nail on the head.

The other things I tire of on this forum is people who have NEVER served in the military talking about the ineffectivness of such and such rounds or rifles.

And...as a mil surp fanatic, people who constantly say things like...."... it was "designed" for poor, uneducated, conscripts. Uhhhh.....no. No rifle was ever designed for such criteria.
Old August 22, 2008, 04:46 PM   #15
jfrey123

Quote:
Anyone that calls any centerfire firearm a mouse gun is displaying their ignorance.
It's not ignorant to call a Bryco .25 a mouse gun. It's just a relative term to describe a group of firearms that can quite literally fit in the palm of one's hand.

Quote:
RE: pictures, have you ever noticed that Busty women never say "show me your breasts?"
They sometimes do when a woman goes out and buys a couple of new ones, just like us guys do with guns when one of us goes out and buys one. If you don't like picture threads, don't look.

Quote:
I don't believe you when you claim that you shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards with an SKS. You are a LIAR! You say that you can hit a flying sparrow with your rifle? LIAR! Your stock .22 cloverleafs at 100M?
A discussion forum is for.... well discussions! If people want to know how accurate an SKS or .22 can be, then the question will be asked. Then people will answer their questions based on personal experience. I don't get how you have the right to call anybody a liar. Just because you've never seen an accurate SKS or awesome .22, one doesn't exist?

Quote:
Quote:
I see where many members actually have the guns they own listed in their signature box.
I see that too and just don't get it. Are those people so proud of their paltry collection (it must be small if they can list it in a signature) that they want to proclaim to the world "look at me I have a few guns".
Quote:
Take a shot of your own medicine here, and quit letting signature lines and old men's fishing stories raise your blood pressure. There are bigger things in the world to worry about.
Old August 22, 2008, 08:48 PM   #16
tranks

doesn't bother me at all to post pics of my guns on here. if someone was on here scoping out what people have so they can rob them, then good luck. i live in a city of over 100k people. i'm sure most of us live in large cities. even if you live out in a small rural area or town, its still going to be hard as hell to figure out where someone lives. as long as your not posting pics of your street, house, neighbor hood and posting your address, you're going to be perfectly safe.

plus, don't you think it would be a deterrent to a criminal? they're going to see that you're armed to the teeth and pick a different place to go.

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old August 22, 2008, 08:55 PM   #17
Playboypenguin

Online, not in the slightest.

In person, I am a bit more cautious.
Old August 22, 2008, 09:21 PM   #18
Keltyke

Quote:
Forget your Prozac today? What a grouch!
Old August 22, 2008, 10:12 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

ISC, I suppose you would call me a liar if I tell you I can group under 2 inches at 125 feet (42 yards) with a .177cal pellet rifle using cheap pellets with open sights... While I sit on the tractor with an elbow on my knee? If so you are invited to come hang out for a few hours and do some shootin' with me... When I do post a pic of my "collection" I may or may not show all my cards... But I don't really own any guns I am really a little Korean kid just turned 7 but am in my 3rd year of college. we are not allowed the same freedoms as you amelicans but I love guns anyway...
Brent
Old August 22, 2008, 10:33 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

On the net, I have no issue with vague questions regarding what I have. Only my close friends and family know what I have and were it is.
Old August 22, 2008, 10:38 PM   #21
B.N.Real

Yea,frankly,if I don't volunteer that in the first place,it's none of your business.

By the way,I own seventeen hundred firearms and my house has a minefield around it with ferocious attack dogs on steriods protecting the gun storage vault room.

That's assuming you can get over the fifteen foot high fence topped with cut wire and the guard towers.

Plus the helicopter gunships with the Fleer sights might have a thing or two to say about anyone in the no trespassing zone around my estate.

Don't I wish.
Old August 22, 2008, 11:32 PM   #22
Hawg

Doesn't bother me. ISC, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of forty guns, haven't counted them lately. That would be a paltry collection in some circles, a massive one in others. I'm pretty sure the ones that post them in their sigs are younger people that are proud of what they have. Doesn't mean they're through collecting. They may one day bypass your massive collection. Oh, and lots of us old timers call mags clips because we've always heard them called that. Sometimes I may say mag but most times it's clips. Doesn't mean I'm ignorant, just means I don't give a dead rats behind what snide people like you think. You said some people need to grow up, well you're right. One of those people stares back at you every time you look in a mirror.
Old August 22, 2008, 11:43 PM   #23
Swampghost

Doesn't bother me a bit except for the Gov't. accessing the info.

Here's an easy way for the average guy like me.
Keep a log w/pics, ser.#'s, place/person of purchase, specific details of the firearm, etc. and keep off premises.

Have a few specific HD weapons activated and well hidden. I even use the hollowed out book trick, my wife and I both read and the whole house looks like a library.....find THE book. I know which one.

Deactivate when not in use. I have open racks and cabinets but nothing that operates without specific components that are kept offsight.

Think like a crook. A rifle without a bolt, a revolver without a cylinder, an auto without a return spring, all too much trouble to try and fix.

From a former homeowner in Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale), FL. Burglerized 5 times in 1 in one year. Might be a record. Don't forget motion sensitive perimeter lights and grates on hidden/obscured windows providing that you have fire egress elsewhere.
Old August 23, 2008, 02:49 AM   #24
Sixer

Quote:
Doesn't bother me a bit except for the Gov't. accessing the info.
Im not sure how I feel about that statement. I mean, if I gave the MIB a reason to knock on my door they would probably already know that I have a few guns. They most likely would not need to hack into TFL and search the archives to figure that one out.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that the whole "background check" thing you have to pass before buying a gun is probably noted somewhere by someone. Unless I lived in a "Waco" type compound or a "Red Dawn" scenario was going on, I couldnt see myself burying ammo and guns in my back yard. Then again, anything is possible... but there are gonna have to be a whole lot of MIB to take away every firearm from every armed citizen.
Old August 23, 2008, 09:06 AM   #25
Alleykat

"Within the confines of this forum?" Is that a joke? There are no "confines" on the internet. I don't list my firearms in my sig line because I think doing so is childish...same with posting pics of my collection. Has nothing to do with my concern about government intervention.