The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 5, 2011, 03:10 PM   #51
brickeyee

Quote:
Unfortunately, many in the Judicial branch have performed legislative duties by interpreting laws, Bill of Rights, Amendments, Constitution in a manner that is not in context with why they were drafted and passed.
Good thinking!

No 1st amendment protections for the internet.

It could never been even imagined by the writers of the first amendment, so it cannot apply.

The same with radio and TV.
There is no way free speech provisions of any type can apply to either.

Or the telephone.

Damn those courts.
Old December 5, 2011, 11:36 PM   #52
kilimanjaro

Context be damned, words have meaning.
Old December 15, 2011, 10:46 PM   #53
Discern

Below is a video link of an interview with Dr. Herb Titus who is well versed in law and the U.S. Constitution. Notice again why the 14th Amendment was drafted, ratified and passed. The phrase 'and subject to the jurisdiction there of' in the 14th Amendment is very important. You cannot take the phase 'All persons' or 'any person' by itself. When the U.S. Constitution was written. the "Law of Nations" was a well known legal writing which covered Natural Born Citizen. Context and the original intent of the authors are very important. Taking the 1st Amendment into context, radio and the Internet would fall under the protection of the 1st Amendment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqeV0ZlZ1Cw
Old December 17, 2011, 01:01 AM   #54
trevor002

Hi *,

I am writing to update this thread with good news. I had my hearing this morning, and it went well. The judge wanted to verify my legal status and examine my visa documentation. Once done, I was told by him to expect my Georgia WCL by mail within a week.

One thing that I was unaware of is that there is a new WCL card as of January 2nd 2012. Unfortunately it is only for applications received after that date. The new card is similar in structure to a driver's license (i.e. it has a picture, etc.)

Regardless, I am thankful that Georgia is respectful of her legal immigrants. I look forward to many more years in this beautiful state and country.

Thanks for the support y'all.
Old December 17, 2011, 01:10 AM   #55
divil

This is the news I was hoping for! Happy days.

I wish every state was as awesome as Georgia in this regard!

Congratulations.
Old December 17, 2011, 01:13 AM   #56
egor20

trevor002

Congratulations trevor002.

EDIT: from my wife

Welcome trevor002, I am a former Brit, I know how much it means to you. to do this.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 17, 2011, 01:38 AM   #57
BarryLee

Good news
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 17, 2011, 07:17 AM   #58
blume357

thanks for the update.... congratulations.
Old December 17, 2011, 02:29 PM   #59
hermannr

Congratulations Trevor. Very happy to hear all went well for you. I was sure it would.
Old December 17, 2011, 02:45 PM   #60
C0untZer0

I'm glad that it went well.

I personally think Illinois has a gaping hole in their FOID system when it comes to illegal immigrants, and neither party has an interest in closing it. The democrats in northern Illinois are the staunch anti-gunners, but they don't want to anger the hispanic vote and requiring people show up in court - like Georgia asked you to do, or having an additional process to verify citizen status, is going to mainly anger hispanics because in Illinois, hispanics comprise the largest part of immigrants. The republicans aren't interested in changing the FOID system to verify that someone is a citizen because they think the FOID system should be done away with anyway.

Our FOID cards are linked to our Secretary of State / DOMV somewhat in that the photo that they use is the same photo the state has on file for your driver's license. Like, i didn't go in to take a photo for my FOID. i just applied for the FOID and when it showed up - it had my driver's license photo on there.
Old December 18, 2011, 01:46 PM   #61
Webleymkv

Quote:
Our FOID cards are linked to our Secretary of State / DOMV somewhat in that the photo that they use is the same photo the state has on file for your driver's license. Like, i didn't go in to take a photo for my FOID. i just applied for the FOID and when it showed up - it had my driver's license photo on there.
When did that change? When I lived in IL (moved away in June of 2002), I distinctly remember my dad having to submit a photograph of himself along with his FOID renewal (never went through it myself because I was 15 when we moved away).
Old December 19, 2011, 01:24 AM   #62
C0untZer0

I'm not exactly sure when it changed, I think in 2004 maybe?

The last FOID I had, the picture I sent in was the picture that ended up on the FOID. When I sent in my renewal in April of this year, I did have to send a passport photo, but the photo I sent was not the photo that appears on my FOID, the photo on my FOID is my driver's license photo.