The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2011, 02:20 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

WHOO-HOO LGS good price on the 930...

Well I went ahead and called my most local LGS to give them the opportunity to bid on the sale of the 930 I want. The first "sorta local" LGS quoted me $40 (their transfer fee price) more than the Bud's price for a total of $501.00 plus tax and call in.

This much closer shop is usually quite close to MSRP and won't budge much on their asking.

I was shocked when they whipped a quote of $485 + tax and call in. I did ask if they had any wiggle room on that and as I expected there isn't but for a simple $14 bucks more than a massive online seller... Ya'll know I am goin' to them!

Seems the Father's Day Fairy is smilin' on me today!!!

Wish me luck!!! It is all done but the final "negotiation" with "Momma war Bucks" aka... Butt Kissin'!

Brent
Old June 15, 2011, 02:50 PM   #2
C0untZer0

Which model 930?
Old June 15, 2011, 02:50 PM   #3
oneounceload

Well, Father's Day IS coming up.......take her to some nice place for dinner

Good Luck!
Old June 15, 2011, 03:14 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Count, I am lookin' at the 85120 which is the walnut and blue with 26" barrel. I wish they had a shorter field gun but I am not willing to trade classy wood and blue for a shorter barrel.

Call me picky but this is the only long gun purchase I have considered in MANY years.

It took me 5+ years to even justify the need for a new shotgun. My ol' 20 gauge 500 with 18 inch barrel is so much a part of me and we do real well when I level on a target.

But I figger I am due to own a lazy man's auto loader that don't require all that cardio workout of rackin' the slide. And I have opportunity to join the doggers on the WMA and super fast follow up shots on runners seems to be the norm.

Brent
Old June 15, 2011, 03:18 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

OOL, I been workin' it real hard with mrs.hogdogs for a few weeks. She crapped the sand spur covered brick when I first said the retail was $597 but I can get it as low as $461

She was thinkin' more like $185-200

So I went and stretched a fence with my dad and put a few hundred bucks in the bank account.

Brent
Old June 15, 2011, 03:25 PM   #6
rhinonewshooter

Hmm, I was thinking of going with a pre-owned semi-auto so I could get something with nice blueing and a walnut stock. But this price seems to be pretty compelling.
I'm very interested to hear what you think of the gun after you have put a few rounds through it, and cleaned it up.
Old June 15, 2011, 03:34 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Rhino, It is quite hard to find very many substantiated major complaints on these guns.

Also, buying used often leaves you without the choke set. Any of the 930 in waterfowl or field configuration come with a set of 3... Imp. Cyl., Mod and Full...

Since they come with a ported barrel and I personally have zero experience with porting... I have also heard many complain about it, I started this thread regarding it and got some good info here too...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452598

Brent
Old June 15, 2011, 03:42 PM   #8
rhinonewshooter

thanks.

Lots of information to sort through here. Looks like I need to hang out at the range for a while and just watch what folks are shooting.
Old June 15, 2011, 04:54 PM   #9
BigJimP

We are all hoping you'll be sucessful !!
Old June 15, 2011, 07:14 PM   #10
mwar410

oh no, now he'll be hanging out on the skeet fields
Old June 15, 2011, 07:19 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

mwar, I may drop in once to see how it swings but I eat what shoot and dirt dove stew don't sound very tasty...
Brent
Old June 16, 2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Smitty in CT

CONGRATS !!!!!

<<< FINGERS CROSSED >>> Hoping you get some nice wodd on your new gun!!

Remember to give it a very good cleaning before taking it out.....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old June 24, 2011, 10:13 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well as I had said earlier... It takes me a long time and lots of ponderin' before I can "justify" a new large "purchase" in this case the 930.

Well it seems wifey does the same process and took as long as possible before sayin' I oughta put some dead presidents in my freebie boat so I can take her out on her days off.

As foul weather nears, I might have another shot at the justification of a sho-nuff meat shovel taking precedence over the B.O.A.T. (Break Out Another Thousand Capt.) 'til next spring.

As we were nearing the point where I admit defeat, I did get to explain that the new gun isn't just another gun but a big offset to my handicapped ability such as follow up shots and if I can't be sure of a follow up, I pass on a lot of opportunities...

Que Sera Sera...

Brent