The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

Lee .44 Caliber C430-310-RF bullet without a gas check??

Lee .44 Caliber C430-310-RF bullet mold

Questions:

1) Can this bullet be fired without a gas check of any type on it? If so, to what velocity could it be fired at?

2) Are there other types of gas checks besides metalic ones that can be used?

3) Are there any "homemade" gas check designs out there?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old March 3, 2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

1) Yes. Normal lead bullet target loads should be OK (velocity of these depends on your barrel length). Just be aware that because gas will bypass the gas check shank when the bullet bearing surface clears the chamber throat, you will likely get a bit more lead splatter. That's why I'd avoid hotter lead bullet loads that you might feel comfortable with shooting plain base cast bullets.

2) Poly wads or poly checks, discs cut from 0.062" low density polyethylene sheet are excellent at preventing leading. A commercial version is available from NECO, but they get a nickel a pop. OK for trying them out, but too expensive for all but serious cast bullet rifle competitors.

3) There is a tool for making your own checks from aluminum soda cans, flashing metal, or copper foil. I've forgotten the name, but search the forum at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/for the info.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 3, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old March 3, 2011, 02:05 PM   #3
jrinne0430

I have fired it with and without gas checks (using H110 powder out of my ruger). It worked fine and does not key hole however; leading of the barrel did increase with out the checks. There is someone (I believe on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/) that makes a tool to make checks out of soda cans.
Old March 3, 2011, 02:26 PM   #4
grubbylabs

I have not tried it but I have been told boolits do not shoot well without a gas check if they have been designed to have one.

You could probably find out more at this site.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 3, 2011, 03:18 PM   #5
aaalaska

I have tried them through two redhawks and two contender barrels only one shoots them half decent, and it does a lot better with the gas checks. And I've had a lot more leading than with the plain base boolits.
Alex
Old March 3, 2011, 04:08 PM   #6
GP100man

Low pressure loads are fine , when ya turn up the heat the accuracy goes south . In my Redhawk they`ll make `bout 900fps before openin up .
Old March 3, 2011, 04:12 PM   #7
JohnMoses

I only leave the checks off for trail boss loads - and they work fine. The freechex (?) tool is sold on e-bay. At $90 you need to produce a lot of checks to pay it's way. I got the .500 one because the 500 checks were getting close to a nickle each! I haven't had it long enough to check results yet, but I probably won't bother with chex on my TB loads.
Old March 4, 2011, 09:46 AM   #8
reloader28

Pat Marlin at castboolits is making gas check makers.
About $75-80 and they work very good.

I aint shot that bullet without a check, but I've shot a different one. Mine shot fine with a light load.
It would make sense that its not going to be as accurate cause your losing the last driving band without a gas check.