The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Scrcrow

SIG P-229 40cal

First of all... Thank you for all of the good advice spead throughout this massive message board! I spent over 8 hours reading post yesterday. Today I registered so that I could add to the on-slaught of questions that you verterans so patiently answer.

I am new to reloading but am very excited about it! Not so much for the cost break (although that is nice!), but more for learning something new. I have reloaded about 1000 rounds for my 45 cal with the assistance of a veteran and the use of his equipment, but now I want to reload for a 40 cal that I just bought. Im having trouble getting the veterans help these days so.... here I am!

I want to load target rounds for my SIG p-229 40cal. Any formulas or advice? I am a brass-picking fiend so I have 3000+ cartriges saved up from various manufactures. I believe that they are all once fired. I bought a used LEE Pro 1000 and converted it for 40cal. I was planning on depriming my brass, hand cleaning the primer pockets, then running it through the rest of the stages on the press. I have the new speer handbook but it gives a number of options for different bullet sizes etc. As I am a newbie, Im not sure about the best choice. I figured I would throw this post out a see if I get any responses. I welcome any and all advice, warnings, and/or comments.

Thanks in advance!
Old April 18, 2005, 11:44 PM   #2
kidcoltoutlaw

40 loads

I shoot rainier 180's with unique 5.8 grains and a fed primer . That is a lite load. www.sportsworldtulsa.com/has the best price on bullets. I to love the P229 I have 4 of them I like them so much. Don't over crimp it or it will shoot like crap. I load to a col of 1.135 . There is some good load info here www.realguns.com
Old April 26, 2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Scrcrow

Thanks!

Thanks alot! I appreciate the feedback!