The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 22, 2014, 11:58 PM   #76
Cirdan

Than you're lucky. 22lr is rare in NW Nevada, and what you can find is usually overpriced at $0.20/round or more. I picked up 200 rounds today at a gun show (the limit), but it's very unusual to find it at those prices, below $0.10/round. 17HMR seems readily available.
Old March 23, 2014, 07:28 AM   #77
mboylan

I've been buying 22 ammo for about 30 years. In that time I've collected a couple cases of random ammo that I don't normally shoot. The stuff just accumulates.

I do tend to have a couple cases of stuff I normally shoot and replace as I shoot. This year has been a little lean. I have only bought match ammo this year at normal prices. I have also limited my shooting to mostly the good stuff in my Anschutz and CZs. More than 50% of my ammo usage in the past 10 years has been with Lapua, RWS and Eley anyway.

I would love to find a case of CCI SV at normal prices. That is my go to for hunting and precision plinking. So far that is where I've been hurt. I broke into my last case. Paid less than $250 for it pre-panic. Luckily I found a few bricks of 25 year old Federal Champion Standard Velocity in my random pile. I can probably hold off a few more months.

My best advice is to keep a couple cases around. Try to replace as you shoot. When you find something that really works, buy an extra case. Only buy what is readily available at normal prices.

Last edited by mboylan; March 23, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old March 23, 2014, 08:49 AM   #78
Garycw

I can remember when 100-200 rounds was plenty to have on hand for me.
I know the gun shops keep some 100 rnd mini mags put back to sell with new guns. I'm wondering how this self induced shortage has affected new 22lr gun sales in general? With Sigs new promotion, they're giving them away.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:03 AM   #79
WilliamDahl

I was at a sporting goods store the other day and saw a guy buying a .22LR rifle. I asked him whether he had checked on the availability of .22LR ammo. He said that he hadn't and I told him that he might want to go look before he buys a .22, since I could not even remember the last time I saw .22LR ammo in any stores. I told him that he could reload other calibers for around $2.50-$3.00 per 50-round box. He still bought the .22 rifle though. So, there are people who will buy the .22 rifles even if you warn them that there is no ammo available for it.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:35 PM   #80
sfwusc

.22lr is available anywhere that as an internet connection!

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/
Armslist

You might not like the price. That is fine...go buy it for your low price. Oh wait...you can't because it cost more than that now.

You will have a hard time buying gas for $1.50 a gallon too. Is there a gas shortage?

When you figure in your time to track down .04 to .05 a round .22lr, then you would like have been better off paying $45 for a brick on armslist. Walmart has to love all those people coming into their store every day hoping they can get a cheap box of .22lr.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:18 AM   #81
coldbeer

I've been shooting a lot more 17HMR than I did last year because 17HMR is easy to find and almost always on sale somewhere for $10-$12 a pack. That's not a whole lot more than what some people are paying for 22lr these days,
Old March 27, 2014, 10:46 AM   #82
Mike Irwin
Staff

This thread has really tracked off target from what it was.

It's now firmly in the neighborhood of this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521685

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread