The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Pocket Carry? Ankle Holster?

I see the question come up concerning pocket carry, and at times, ankle holsters. This makes me curious, as I can in no way conceive of either being practical to me, nor to most men I know.

My usual daily attire is jeans, either Lee or Wrangler, Wrangler long sleeve shirt, and western boots. Sundays its Wrangler Wranchers, dress shirt, and sport coat. Most of my friends wear similar clothing, maybe Dockers or similar casual trousers.

With jeans, there is no way I could put even the smallest pistol in my pocket with any hope of getting it into action in a reasonable time. And boots certainly aren't conducive to ankle holsters.

So how do y'all dress to go out into public daily that permits pocket carry?

Bob Wright
Old April 22, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2
craZivn

I tried shoving my SP101 into the front pocket of my cargo pants yesterday using a Remora holster, just to see how it worked since the blasted holster didn't stay in my waistband. The gun actually hid quite well, although it was too heavy to be practical in a pocket.

I could easily see an LC9 or LCR in a pocket holster. One advantage would be that in a hold-up situation, you could reach for the gun when ordered to hand over your wallet and either draw it quickly (if the thief was distracted) or pop the holster off and fire it through the pocket.

I can see no practical purpose for an ankle holster unless you need to defeat a pat-down or something. Clumsy when running and impossible to draw quickly.

I carry AIWB for speed and to facilitate retention from snatches. When I'm wearing a trench coat I might carry in a pocket.

EDIT: Just realized I went off topic on a ramble. My answer to the question would be, cargo pants or carpenter jeans. Carry would be in the front pocket or, if the gun was small enough, the rear pocket using a "wallet" style holster. My daily wear is cargo pants, loose button-up shirt that's usually unbuttoned (t-shirt underneath, tucked into pants) and army surplus jacket.

Ivan

Last edited by craZivn; April 22, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
redhologram

The only way I pocket carry for a few minutes is in the mornings when I get up, throw on a pair of VS secret sweat pants and a shirt to take my son to school. I use my DeSantis Nemesis that I keep my gun in at night on my nightstand, and put it in the pocket of my sweats to run him to school.

Otherwise, I carry IWB the rest of the time. I like my gun feeling closer and more secure against me than floating around in my sweat pants pocket. As for jeans, the majority of the ones I wear are by Ann Taylor and there isn't room, nor would I want to pocket carry on a regular basis. The same for ankle carry. If I'm wearing my boots, not feasible, and if I'm wearing heels, I'm still not going to do it. I just prefer IWB so I can get to my gun easiest and quickest for me.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Deja vu

I pocket carry a Heavy S&W 640 (in 357 magnum). I have never had an issue with it. I mostly wear slacks at work and loose fitting blue jeans when at home.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 22, 2013, 11:17 PM   #5
scottycoyote

i pocket carry most every day at work with a keltec 32, never had any issues doing that and i could see pulling it off with something larger like a pf9. For pocket carry you have to just basically designate that pocket for carry and thats it, so if you carry enough stuff on you to fill up a shopping cart it isnt going to work. When i want to carry something a little larger and cant pull off iwb, ill either go ankle carry or thunderwear. I realise ankle isnt ideal but its better than no gun at all, but thunderwear (i have a thunderwear knockoff actually) works well and is fast becoming my 2nd favorite carry method
Old April 22, 2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Justice06RR

The fit of your pants and the type/size of pistol need to be considered for pocket carry. I have pocket carried a few pistols like the PF9, 709Slim, and 740Slim in loose (not baggy) Old navy jeans.

If you wear tighter pants than it will be a problem. Tight jeans obviously will be a no-go. I've also pocket carried in cargo shorts during the summer.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Bob Wright

I have tried, as an experiment, pocket carry with a jacket (so-called Bomber jacket) with slash pockets, but even my light S&W 442 semed to make my jacket hang uncomfortably uneven, plus I worried that my gun would rotate in my pocket. Also, worn loosely, my garment swung away from my body in a way I didn't like.

I prefer my belt holster, but if what works for you works, it works. I'm not suggesting one way any better, just asking for my own information.

Bob Wright

P.S. My jeans aren't tight. At least not when I bought them.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Rodger_p

I now carry a 637 in my right hip pocket. I have also carried the LCP and TCP the same way. With a light pocket holster it works well for me.
Old April 23, 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Seaman

Usually wear loose fitting Western style jeans and denim jacket.

It is possible to draw quickly from an ankle holster.

For ankle carry: the 32 or 380 ACP Walther PPK, the 380 Sig P238, the S&W J frame 38 spl, the 9mm or 40 S&W Walther PPS, Charter Arms 44 spl, or AMT BACKUP 45.

Mostly wear shoes, but if in boots, one is stuffed with a PPK or Sig P238.

Always carry an ankle BUG, currently the Charter Arms gets the nod since I like the 44 spl cartridge, a most capable and accurate (yet underrated) cartridge.

Another beauty of ankle carry is that it takes the strain off the back, should the back be an issue.

For pocket carry the short boot grip J-frame 38 spl can be carried in any pocket, ditto the Sig P238... the Sig P238 can even be carried in an outside denim jacket chest pocket. The inside pockets of a Western style denim jacket are quite sturdy and will tolerate a lightweight S&W Night Guard 44 spl or a 45 ACP SW99.

Mr. Wright... its time you bought yourself a denim jacket.

All the best.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Grant D

Bob, I also wear Wranglers every day,and I carry my LCP in my left hip pocket.On occasion I will carry my S&W Model 37 in a pocket holster in my right front pocket,but usually have it in a OWB holster on my left hip.
I used to on occasion carry the LCP in a ankle holster,but since I put the Hogue grip on it, it wont fit in the holster any more.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Bob Wright

Like this?

It does cover my Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special:

My preferred carry method:

Bob Wright
Old April 23, 2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Seaman

Nice jacket.

Nice holster, think you'd get a quicker draw from the left side tho (cross-draw), wouldn't have to brush your jacket aside, better for driving too.

Happy trails.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:37 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

'Living in Florida, I wear cargo shorts 11 months a year, so no ankle carry. I buy shorts with deep front pockets that have slash pocket openings, making withdrawal easy
Old April 23, 2013, 04:07 PM   #14
jad0110

I don't pocket carry often these days, but usually when I do I wear fairly loose fitting pants/shorts with a large pocket opening.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:11 PM   #15
eman

I pocket carry a Rohrbaugh 9mm in a Del Fatti pocket holster and like it a lot.

Old April 23, 2013, 07:32 PM   #16
X_shooter

I pocket carry a pf9 daily. I have to admit all jeans are not suited for this. I don't wear them tight, but my tightest pair does not print to anyone but me. I have looked in every mirror and asked a lot of people if they noticed. I can't see the gun unless I am looking for it.

I have noticed that pocket depth makes a bight difference to me. Too deep and you are fishing for it. Too shallow and the grip sticks out or it grinds into my hip bone when I sit. I like pocket carry for what I consider deep concealment. No movements will expose it and if you are in a huggy family like mine, you won't get questioned about the bulge on your hip.

When I try a new pair of jeans the first thing I do is test fit the pf9 before I buy. I also walk with my hands in my pockets or my thumbs in my pockets often which means I am ready to draw. Its not a problem. Its like anything else. You build your comfort level until it becomes second nature.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:58 PM   #17
Bob Wright

Seaman said:
Quote:
Nice holster, think you'd get a quicker draw from the left side tho (cross-draw), wouldn't have to brush your jacket aside, better for driving too.
Cross draw doesn't work very well with me with a single action. I can't cock the hammer and get on target as fast with cross draw.

With this Mernickle holster I cock the hammer as the gun comes up and the hammer drops when the gun is level. I'm more accurate than with the cross draw, plus faster.

Bob Wright
Old April 23, 2013, 08:20 PM   #18
specs

I wear Wrangler relaxed fit jeans and cutoff shorts as well,, and no problem at all carrying my LC9 or LCR in front pocket. I can easily put my hand in the front pocket and have the gun half drawn and no one is the wiser. Started doing this with a Bersa CC380, then a KT PF9, and finally the LC9 and KLCR. The only caveat is that you have to reallly want it to work and you must be consistent and carry constantly in that manner ,
Old April 23, 2013, 08:31 PM   #19
shouldazagged

I've pocket-carried a Model 640 .38 Special with Pachmayr Compac grips for over twelve years. I mostly wear shorts mid-spring through mid-fall and twill work pants the rest of the time; but when I wear my jeans (also Wranglers) I may carry OWB with a long shirt. I use a Desantis Nemesis or Uncle Mike's pocket holster, depending on which works better with the pocket du jour.

The 640, Pachmayrs and ammo and all, probably weighs around 24 ounces, but I have no trouble carrying it. I've done it so long I don't notice the weight unless I try to pack it in a jacket pocket.

I can't imagine ankle carry of anything but maybe a Kel-Tec P32 or P11 last-ditch, I'm-on-the-ground-already piece, because I have spinal arthritis and degenerative disk disease that would make bending to draw the gun, then straightening to use it, difficult and slow. Carrying a Charter Arms .44 that way is something I really can't imagine, even with a good holster rig.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:53 PM   #20
PT-92

I pocket-carry my BUG in any pants (Beretta Bobcat 21A). My P11 is my main CCW in a Fobus Holster--However, I can easily carry the P11 in a Desantis pocket holster (again in any pants/shorts).

My main problem with advocating the pocket-carry of one's primary CCW is IMO it prohibits the agility to quickly access the weapon when, for instance, sitting down say at a movie theater or the like. It takes more time and labor to draw (whereas for a BUG it's not a problem).
Old April 23, 2013, 09:00 PM   #21
2ndsojourn

The front pockets of these Duluth Trading jeans can probably fit any good sized handgun. Although, with a 'mouse gun', you're gonna be digging deep for it.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...oom-jeans.aspx
Old April 23, 2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Garycw

Pocket Carry? Ankle Holster?

The only time I pocket carry is with a jacket inside upper pocket. Tried ankle holster and its like a club foot. 90% is IWB holster
Old April 23, 2013, 10:59 PM   #23
9mm

My lcp, Sig P938, Ruger LCR-22 and S&W 38spl fits in my levis front pocekts in a few differenat pairss and on my mark anothy pairs, maybe your is tight. But when I wear jeans its on the ankle because pockets are used for storing other things.
Old April 24, 2013, 12:05 AM   #24
JimmyR

I have pocket carried some, although with my current collection, the only thing I can really pocket carry is my Beretta Tomcat. I will carry that on my ankle as well, especially while I am driving. To me, ankle carry is GREAT while driving, since it doesn't take much for me to reach it. I also carry the BUG on my ankle, since that can be easier for my wife to get to (she doesn't have a license to carry yet, so I try to carry two).
Old April 24, 2013, 12:49 AM   #25
mxsailor803

I usually wear Wrangler Capenter jeans and carry front pocket almost all the time with a Keltec P3AT .380acp. A few times i'll pocket carry a S&W 2" 36. Mostly depends on my mood. Whenever it gets colder out I usually wear a OWB Galco with a Sig P250 or another Galco OWB with a Gov Rem 1911R1. It actually doesn't matter to me which one I carry as long as i'm comfortable with it. Lets face it, if you aren't comfortable when carrying it, you're not gonna carry.